Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

I honestly believe selection integrity has derailed our season.

Hard to judge some players due to roles but has been happening most of the season. For example O Hollands has been in average and poor form but gets a game every week. Fantasia also odd.

Hewett being dropped was odd. Rushing back Cerra and Cotters with no VFL was a poor call.

Cerra playing HB at the expense of actual HB'd like Boyd is nonsense.

Kemp either gets dropped or hung out to dry on horrible matchups. Playing him on Esava when Young was playing forward was frankly insane.

Cowan was dropped for a game early on in the year which was insane. Has been solid and at 19 needs to continue to play while in good form.

Honestly the coaches have a lot to answer for imo.
This is 100% a fact. I feel the coaches and MC selections are a massive factor in our form declining.

Keep Young in??

How many goals did he leak last time v Pies?

Tonight he didn't gaf out there when the going got tough.

Kemp at least tries his heart out, unfortunately, the brains trust can't realise that he isn't a kpd to match up on tall types that are physically too strong for him + have a height advantage...

Yes, he brain fades and does some dumb things too, he is still learning...

We must settle our backline as much as possible. Cerra needs to gtfo of there... he has no business there whatsoever.

If we're trying to protect his hammy, then it is to the detriment of the team and unacceptable.

Boyd to come back in, stick with:

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad Gov Boyd

OUT: Cottrell, Carroll, Cunners, Young
IN: Acres, McKay, Boyd, Martin

Cerra should be dropped, but he won't be... protected species it seems... at least throw him back in position and quit piss farting around...

Cowan is starting to be a passenger too... maybe time for him to wear the vest...
Young needs to play as a key defender. Pies have Mcstay and Goggles up forward. Kemp isn't big enough to play on these players.

I’d seriously pack up the boys and go to Noosa or Cairns for the week. Get away together, some warmer weather and swim in the surf. Great for recovery

Hopefully McKay Acres Boyd Williams are fit. We need any class back we can get

Reserves not playing hurts, will be tempted to play Martin and would have been good to see Binns & Lord push their case for a game

Williams is listed on the injury list as 3-4 weeks away so he’s not an option this week.

Hopefully the other 3 you mentioned are ready and I suspect Martin will also come in.

I just can’t see us playing a first gamer this late in the season with so much at stake.

Cunners out injured with Carroll, Young and either Cottrell or Ollie in the gun IMO.

This is 100% a fact. I feel the coaches and MC selections are a massive factor in our form declining.

The only thing I will say in their defence is what options do they have? I feel as though they are trying to plug holes in our side as we don't have the players.

I feel for players like Kemp & Cowan as they are having to play on bigger more mature players and with the way the ball is coming is their job is near impossible, BUT what options do we have? Durdin & Marchbank can't get on the park and Young should never play in Navy Blue again

Boyd comes in. Cerra goes to the guts or bust. Martin and McKay to bolster the forward line. Cuningham, Young and Carroll to make way. Acres to replace Hollands / Cottrell.

Walsh needs to get smarter and stop calling for the ball when running into traffic, and the dump kicks are vastly getting into Clayton Oliver territory.

It McKay doesn’t get up then Young still goes - playing as a second ruck is not a good enough justification for his output.

This x 1000 Leave Young in and play him back…he can’t be any worse than Kemp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, clubs are purposely loading up with talls in their forward line no matter how average they are and gaining a significant advantage, we need an additional key back badly.

Kemp cannot play the role

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Young is no world beater but we need some more height down back. Cowan is a passenger at the moment perhaps Kemp could go third tall and we drop Cowan and play Gov on a small……

Young on cox next week at least frees up Wietering more….We wasted him on Dixon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no
I’d actually play Young this week but leave him in our forward line and to stay no more that 15 metres from our goal.

Harry and Charlie to lead at the ball carrier but we need a third tall up forward. For all the bad Young brings, using him as the tall close to the goal square would be a near impossible challenge this week.

We need a point of difference and we love bombing it long. Defenders have to play Charlie and Harry closely so Young would take the third best tall defender and I think would out mark the 3rd tall.

Just a thought going into this week anyways

Could you imagine playing Binns over the last 4 weeks, in fact after 1 game such as GWS, the same people wanting him in the side would be calling for his head

Binns name only gathered traction after we beat a poor Pies outfit, prior to that he was serviceable and hardly mentioned

People thinking blooding the likes of Binns will somehow move the needle, resulting or being the difference in winning or losing, really haven't been watching

Nah Binns has been showing it for 2 years. Should have been in the team way earlier than this week especially with Ollie stinking it up badly earlier this season.

The only thing I will say in their defence is what options do they have? I feel as though they are trying to plug holes in our side as we don't have the players.

I feel for players like Kemp & Cowan as they are having to play on bigger more mature players and with the way the ball is coming is their job is near impossible, BUT what options do we have? Durdin & Marchbank can't get on the park and Young should never play in Navy Blue again
You make some valid points. However deciding to rush back players like Cottrell and Cerra after long injuries lay off's and dropping Hewett was inexcusable.

He did it with Cerra and Cottrell... why stop there?

I still just cannot work out why they brought Cottrell straight back after 2 months out, it has to be arrogance.
Cerra also, and then playing him out of position

There just has to be a fundamental change in philosophy with returning players getting miles in the legs in a less demanding setting. Training is not playing at the highest level

For their own confidence, their bodies, the level of performance of our feeder team.

You make some valid points. However deciding to rush back players like Cottrell and Cerra after long injuries lay off's and dropping Hewett was inexcusable.

I don't disagree but who else would you bring in? Wilson? Look at my latest post in List Management. IMO it highlights our problem

I’d actually play Young this week but leave him in our forward line and to stay no more that 15 metres from our goal.

Harry and Charlie to lead at the ball carrier but we need a third tall up forward. For all the bad Young brings, using him as the tall close to the goal square would be a near impossible challenge this week.

We need a point of difference and we love bombing it long. Defenders have to play Charlie and Harry closely so Young would take the third best tall defender and I think would out mark the 3rd tall.

Just a thought going into this week anyways

Cripes. This is where we are at. Like deckchairs on the Titanic

I still just cannot work out why they brought Cottrell straight back after 2 months out, it has to be arrogance.
Cerra also, and then playing him out of position

There just has to be a fundamental change in philosophy with returning players getting miles in the legs in a less demanding setting. Training is not playing at the highest level

For their own confidence, their bodies, the level of performance of our feeder team.

Agree. Only thing I will say is what other options did we have and WHY do we bring them in and play them in different positions? That's the bit I struggle with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripes. This is where we are at. Like deckchairs on the Titanic
I know right. But we just don’t have a 3rd tall and when Harry and Charlie lead up the ground we literally have the minnow bunch in Owies, Motlop and Fogarty to run around in circles and don’t even touch the damn ball

Like I said in the Port preview... can't have Ollie on one wing and Binns on the other...

So Ollie needs to be dropped to make way for him.

We just can't field a team with two wingers that get brushed aside and offer us next to nothing physically...

When Ollie was absolutely stinking it up earlier this season was a chance, bringing Binns in instead of Cottrell who hadn’t played in 2 months straight out was a chance, but Voss has fallen into the trap of playing favourites and not rewarding form or lack of and sending back players to find it.

Jase Burgoyne played last night, if there is an ounce difference in weight between he and Binns I’ll go he. Some clubs just get good young players in the team

It’s a slippery slope when things start going awry, players bashing the door down not getting a look in whilst others are brought in cart Blanche with zero form isn’t good for the psychy of those outside the supposed best 22

Playing around with the side dropping Hewitt has been the catalyst for the form slide but we have time to get some momentum back.
I can’t stand kemp so young plays back, kemp to sub
Olli hollands I felt like jumping the fence last night and ring his neck to wake up … binns has to play ,
Acres, Martin , Boyd ,mckay play
cerra to the midfield
We win by 2-3 goals

Like I said in the Port preview... can't have Ollie on one wing and Binns on the other...

So Ollie needs to be dropped to make way for him.

We just can't field a team with two wingers that get brushed aside and offer us next to nothing physically...

Why not? What are our options?

Binns is a genuine wingman and you can't tell me he is any worse than what we played last night? I have seen young, slight underdone kids like Windsor and Wilson play most of this year as wingman and do well for their sides and the experience is invalauable

I would 100% have played him over playing Cottrell on the wing. Surely he couldn’t have done much worse?
Stick Binns up fwd until he's ready to move into the mid rotation.

He has a keen goal sense and can't perform worse than what we've got up there atm.

Luke Power was a 50-goal/yr FP at the start of his career before cracking into the Lions powerful mid group.

Boyd comes in. Cerra goes to the guts or bust. Martin and McKay to bolster the forward line. Cuningham, Young and Carroll to make way. Acres to replace Hollands / Cottrell.

Walsh needs to get smarter and stop calling for the ball when running into traffic, and the dump kicks are vastly getting into Clayton Oliver territory.

It McKay doesn’t get up then Young still goes - playing as a second ruck is not a good enough justification for his output.
Only concern here is wtf happens in game when Pitt rests or, heaven forbid, gets injured?

Cripps or Charlie to ruck out a game? No thanks.

Maybe Chugga at a pinch?

Why not? What are our options?

Binns is a genuine wingman and you can't tell me he is any worse than what we played last night? I have seen young, slight underdone kids like Windsor and Wilson play most of this year as wingman and do well for their sides and the experience is invalauable

I already explained why Soap... too easily bumped off the ball. We already have that problem with Ollie.

We should have put Walsh on the wing and threw Cerra in the middle. That's the next option imo when Acres is out.

Cottrell is no good there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back