Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

With 8 defenders available next week Weiters, Newman, McGovern, Saad, Young, Boyd, Kemp, Cowan, we probably have one too many. Who do we leave out - Kemp, Cowan or do we give Boyd another week off?

Assuming Harry, Acres and Boyd are selected next week and replace Cuners, Carroll, and a defender (Cowan or Kemp).

Apart from TDK, the changes to our R8 team against Collingwood are mostly positive.

Outs: TDK, Williams (defender), Fantasia, Corey Durdin, Cuningham, possibly Cowan.

Ins: McGovern, Saad, Fogarty, Motlop, Ollie, possibly Kemp.

With 8 defenders available next week Weiters, Newman, McGovern, Saad, Young, Boyd, Kemp, Cowan, we probably have one too many. Who do we leave out - Kemp, Cowan or do we give Boyd another week off?

Assuming Harry, Acres and Boyd are selected next week and replace Cuners, Carroll, and a defender (Cowan or Kemp).

Apart from TDK, the changes to our R8 team against Collingwood are mostly positive.

Outs: TDK, Williams (defender), Fantasia, Corey Durdin, Cuningham, possibly Cowan.

Ins: McGovern, Saad, Fogarty, Motlop, Ollie, possibly Kemp.

I'm leaning towards Young playing ONLY because we need some size back there but he doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I'm leaning towards Young playing ONLY because we need some size back there but he doesn't fill me with any confidence.
I am of the opinion that, while Kemp is often over faced, he is our best current option in the defensive structure. His game back in the twos proved he is a class above the other contenders for the role. We need to task McGovern and indeed Weitering to being more team oriented, meaning defensive minded with the big picture.

We need to task our ruckman with a more traditional task of playing a kick behind the play, as opposed to presenting in the forward half. Charlie, Harry and Crippa with Kennedy and possibly Martin should be our taller targets rather than Pitto presenting deep in the front half. Harry is more than capable of competing in forward ruck contests, as is Crippa as a shock option.

To me the only viable alternative is Marchbank, should he find some “touch”. Young, sadly, is not presenting aggressively enough to warrant a defensive spot. He remains the ruck back up option for mine if, heaven forbid, Pitto has any issues while TDK is convalescing. (I am concerned for TDK’s return as he will struggle to get enough miles in his legs due to the foot break to seamlessly return for finals) Thinking Lewis should be getting some ruck minutes in the twos over the coming weeks to better prepare for possible eventualities.

Kempy needs to be backed in by the match committe to restore some confidence, rather than have him second guessing his choices as the whipping boy, should there be structural flaws in our tall defence. There is too much expectation that he is to cover for an assertive Weitering and the aggressive and less accountable McGovern. BACK HIM IN AS OUR BEST OPTION! (Similar thoughts for Cowan)

All three ins improve us across each line. Can’t see Carroll surviving the cut and reckon he’ll go out too which could pave the way for Martin. Or Kemp plays (Carroll going out) and he instead gets trialed up forward.
True, forgot about Carroll. His only chance for survival would be as sub, but personal preference would be for more of an impact player as sub Fastasia / Martin fit the bill.

Is there any chance we drop Cowan? I love him, but he’s probably played close to 10 in a row and may benefit from a spell. There were many occasions last week where he had a kick smothered and he needs to sort this out as it happens a lot. I’m a big fan, but he needs to tidy this up and use a short low kick vs always trying to kick the cover off it.

Is there any chance we drop Cowan? I love him, but he’s probably played close to 10 in a row and may benefit from a spell. There were many occasions last week where he had a kick smothered and he needs to sort this out as it happens a lot. I’m a big fan, but he needs to tidy this up and use a short low kick vs always trying to kick the cover off it.
I’m not even sure there is a match up for him this week.

Probably first time I have read something like this but you nailed it

I think McGovern is a gun and vital to our defence but he plays a certain role as detailed. A lot of times Kemp gets no help

It's why I have been keen for Durdin to play or this week Young (I can't believe it either) as it will allow Weitering freedom as that third up player to zone off and help others.

There were rumors around last year that Weitering refused to play in the D50 with Young - any truth to this?

If true then so far this year his wish has been granted - IIRC Young only played in defence when Weitering was out, since then he's been in the 2's, or thrown around as ruck/fwd in 1's.

There were rumors around last year that Weitering refused to play in the D50 with Young - any truth to this?

If true then so far this year his wish has been granted - IIRC Young only played in defence when Weitering was out, since then he's been in the 2's, or thrown around as ruck/fwd in 1's.
They played together against the Pies last time out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never heard it. I think question is more about how slow Young is with ball in hand and how he doesn't impact when he has a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back