Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

I reckon Voss spat the dummy at him after that Bulldogs game... he was getting the ball ripped out of his hands and soft at the contest.

Need to persist with him in the middle though, only way he'll get his confidence back. He's not going to magically find it playing at hb.

Thing is, Voss knows he made a mistake when he dropped Hewett in favour of Cerra back in. Doesn't want to drop Cerra because he knows he's an A grade player when on, so just trying to slot him in.

He's struggling to find the right mix when all of Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy are available.

I wouldn't mind trying a different mix. Cripps, Cerra and Hewett in the middle. Put Walsh on one wing and Acres on the other. Rotate Kennedy, Lij, Cincotta and even Cowan in there.

Apart from Cripps, they ALL need to do more. How many have had a good year? TBH some of the efforts especially over 4 quarters this year have been very poor. IF our midfield steps up and gets back to that contested clearance game we win, simple as that

Go back to the second half of the first game against GWS at Marvel and that is exactly what I mean. Tough, hard, contested, hunt the football, tackle with vigor and numbers team football with them all buying in

For all the talk about positions, roles etc THIS is the issues that must be addressed

re Cinc... maybe for some other game...

Seen enough of the Pies to know that culling Daicos' impact goes a very long way to stopping them creating anything. That's why they've been down on i50 entries when he gets tagged.

I agree. He is key for them and must be tagged

I have said it before, I don't think we get the best out of Cincotta. IMO he is better than many rate and anyone can tag

Last edited:
Yes, we are playing pretty average and yes we still have some genuine issues with midfield patterns, overlapping, multiple quick possessions to get the ball out- I am still willing to put down last week's loss to the extremely short break being compounded by the loss of 3 key players in one hit. We were 5 goals up at one stage and then completely gassed out.

Reckon what happens for the rest of the year begins tomorrow night, either way good or bad.

I agree. He is key for them and must be tagged

I have said it before, I don't think we get the best out of Cincotta. IMO he is better than many rate
He was absolutely fantastic through our run of good form.
Don't think he's been as good the last few weeks, but that's also probably on how we've used him (eg shifting him off Butters at half time)

Yes, we are playing pretty average and yes we still have some genuine issues with midfield patterns, overlapping, multiple quick possessions to get the ball out- I am still willing to put down last week's loss to the extremely short break being compounded by the loss of 3 key players in one hit. We were 5 goals up at one stage and then completely gassed out.

Reckon what happens for the rest of the year begins tomorrow night, either way good or bad.

We play on Saturday night.

He was absolutely fantastic through our run of good form.
Don't think he's been as good the last few weeks, but that's also probably on how we've used him (eg shifting him off Butters at half time)

Apart from midfield I think the lack of real run from defence is our biggest issue. Watched some other sides last weekend and the run and turning defence into attack was impressive. Dogs Swans Lions & Hawks at times looked great. Lions pushing Zorko back has really helped them

Boyd back will help, Saad has been just okay after hamstring. There really isn't much else. I think that's why Cerra went back there.

IMO a defence with Boyd Saad and Cincotta looks much more mobile to me

Apart from midfield I think the lack of real run from defence is our biggest issue. Watched some other sides last weekend and the run and turning defence into attack was impressive. Dogs Swans Lions & Hawks at times looked great. Lions pushing Zorko back has really helped them

Boyd back will help, Saad has been just okay after hamstring. There really isn't much else. I think that's why Cerra went back there.

The only problem with Cinc off half back means we don’t have a tag for Diacos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The injuries to Gov and Boyd have hurt, but I don't think that has been nearly as big an issue as clearance.

It was really poor in the second half against Port, but I think it was more to do with the lack of targets through the middle (missing H, Acres, TDK) than a lack of run from behind.

The injuries to Gov and Boyd have hurt, but I don't think that has been nearly as big an issue as clearance.

It was really poor in the second half against Port, but I think it was more to do with the lack of targets through the middle (missing H, Acres, TDK) than a lack of run from behind.

I think it's been an issue all year. I agree midfield is still the biggest issue

Cottrell, Fogarty or what about Cerra going to him?

So basically one of our high half forwards or Cerra head to head in the middle ?

Would prefer Hewitt if we go head to head in the middle.

I think we miss Cincs drive off half back. He runs straight and uses it well. Also bloody good 1 v 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically one of our high half forwards or Cerra head to head in the middle ?

Would prefer Hewitt if we go head to head in the middle.

I think we miss Cincs drive off half back. He runs straight and uses it well. Also bloody good 1 v 1

Cincotta virtually starts HF and then goes to player. No big change

In the end I think Cincotta will go to him

The only problem with Cinc off half back means we don’t have a tag for Diacos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cincotta can play a backline shutdown role like he did with Pickett, and he could even take Hill

Personally I'd play him on Daicos, but Cottrell will likely pay on him at times as a chopout

Doubt we use anyone else as they don't have the blend of speed and endurance

Apart from Cripps, they ALL need to do more. How many have had a good year? TBH some of the efforts especially over 4 quarters this year have been very poor. IF our midfield steps up and gets back to that contested clearance game we win, simple as that

Go back to the second half of the first game against GWS at Marvel and that is exactly what I mean. Tough, hard, contested, hunt the football, tackle with vigor and numbers team football with them all buying in

For all the talk about positions, roles etc THIS is the issues that must be addressed

Yeah that's why I want to mix it up a bit and put Walsh on the wing. He's surely a better option than Ollie at this stage.

Walsh Cripps Acres
Pitto Cerra Hewett

Kennedy/Elijah/Cinc/Cowan

Better than persisting with an out of form Walsh, forcing Cerra to play hb and sticking Fogarty in there...

Cottrell, Fogarty or what about Cerra going to him?

We've been talking about getting Cerra to play in the middle in his more natural role. No good making him tag for a game and there's no way Voss will do it anyway, with a player like Cerra, you'd want to take advantage of his weapons.

Telling him to tag is almost like saying we don't reckon you're much use to us. That's why majority of players hate it. Cincotta is one of the rare few who thrive on it.

Cincotta can play a backline shutdown role like he did with Pickett, and he could even take Hill

Personally I'd play him on Daicos, but Cottrell will likely pay on him at times as a chopout

Doubt we use anyone else as they don't have the blend of speed and endurance
I'd be happy for Cotts to do that job as I agree he has the physical capabilities. You'd want to know he was going to be on point and urgent all game though. If he could reduce Boy Wonder's output while providing some drive our way and potentially some scoreboard heat, that would be a big win.

It would release Cinc to provide drive from the backline. He did good job on Hill last time.

I'd be happy for Cotts to do that job as I agree he has the physical capabilities. You'd want to know he was going to be on point and urgent all game though. If he could reduce Boy Wonder's output while providing some drive our way and potentially some scoreboard heat, that would be a big win.

It would release Cinc to provide drive from the backline. He did good job on Hill last time.

Cottrell needs a clear role otherwise he is a wasted spot. I would put him on Daicos and Cincotta back. It's a risk

Like with every other discussion if we go hard, get back to our contested best in the middle it won't matter what else we do

Yup I don't think there have been many/enough games where all the big 5 have played together, and even fewer where they've played together and all gelled well.

All of them are very good in their own right as clearance winners, but as a group lack versatility to play other roles...and there's no denying that they're not the fastest bunch if we happen not to win the clearance. I think given we're a strength-team that can break tackles, the new HTB rules really hurt us.

It's also why I think playing Carroll (another who lacks versatility) exacerbates the balance problem. At least with Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy it's just a 3-body problem.

Cottrell needs a clear role otherwise he is a wasted spot. I would put him on Daicos and Cincotta back. It's a risk

Like with every other discussion if we go hard, get back to our contested best in the middle it won't matter what else we do
100% agreed re: getting back to our contested best being the thing that will ultimately get us the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back