Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

TDK aside, this is pretty close to our best team on paper.

Williams the only other missing from our best 22 (probably comes in for Ollie?).

Hopefully the wing position is much better from a contest perspective. If Cottrell knows the running patterns required, he should be able to do all the defensive stuff that Ollie is required to do from a positioning perspective...plus not lose the contests so easily.

Young did play last time against the Pies and he didn't have a good game.

Interesting Young dropped after just one game when we desperately need another genuine tall in defence. Has two years to go on contract that club extended by three way before his original deal was up.

Be a big call to pay him out but it's obvious we don't rate him.

After Cerra and Cotts coming back underdone, I’m uneasy about Martin coming back, after not complications any full games in the VFL, i thought he might have been the sub.

Im assuming Ollie will be the sub and I’m disappointed he was retained over Cowan, i really think Ollie needs a solid block in the VFL, Cowan can play a few roles as the sub and i think has been more solid than Ollie.,

Other than that the team looks strong.
Would have had Martin back in last week frankly.

He can work magic on one leg....

He's had a couple of games back, granted time managed...

Presents a serious third target and will beat anyone one on one....

Interesting Young dropped after just one game when we desperately need another genuine tall in defence. Has two years to go on contract that club extended by three way before his original deal was up.

Be a big call to pay him out but it's obvious we don't rate him.
I wouldn't be getting rid of him - when he has filled in for Weitering he has been fine. I don't think there are many 4- or 5- string tall defenders in the competition much better. Given Marchbank and Durdin are likely gone end of season I wouldn't be culling anymore tall defender depth.

They have really built him up slowly. He makes our fwd line so much better when up and running.

If he stands up and gets through this week it's a big boost. If he breaks down again have we really lost anything? I wasn't expecting it but I understand it.

I feel as though it's a now or nothing type sceanrio.

Agree he makes our forward line better.

But.

We as a club and we as people are supposed to be able to learn from our mistakes, that’s if we even know we are making them. If Jack is fit, then its a big boost but i doubt how fit a player can be, who by reports hasn’t even got through a full VFL match, since coming back.

Losing Cunners in the first quarter last week, really cost us, so if Martin breaks down then yes, i think we have lost something. I have always been hot and cold on Jack, sometimes i see why he’s rated so highly and then i notice, that even in games where people say he plays well, he often goes quarters or even halves of football where he either doesnt touch the ball or lay a tackle, or he gets 1-2 touches.

Im not sure also what type of standards Voss is setting if, after long injury lay offs, players are coming straight back in to the team or coming back via limited minutes in the VFL, we have also had players included in the senior team. After many here said they played poorly in the VFL.

Time will tell if its a good move, seems to be another selection risk to me.

I wouldn't be getting rid of him - when he has filled in for Weitering he has been fine. I don't think there are many 4- or 5- string tall defenders in the competition much better. Given Marchbank and Durdin are likely gone end of season I wouldn't be culling anymore tall defender depth.

Yep. Don't disagree. I don't rate him all BUT on list he can fill in so many roles.

Would have had Martin back in last week frankly.

He can work magic on one leg....

He's had a couple of games back, granted time managed...

Presents a serious third target and will beat anyone one on one....

I want the coach to pick players who are fit, can contribute in their position and get through a game. If he gets through and plays well, great, if he looks unfit and plays poorly, it will be another instance of the MC picking underdone players who have come back too early.

Kemp can't play on any of their other forwards
We haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to see him get a look against someone like Elliott, WHE or De Goey. Think that would be a good way to use his skillset. He could match them for speed while also having a height advantage. I would worry about his discipline when zoning off though.

Lets all get behind Jack "MOG" Martin and wish him some consistency with health and dangerously creative form.

Made of Glass no more.
Agree - we should back in all our players. We just have to hope that they are all putting in 100% for preparation, training and effort in games and doing the right things to recover after games.

None of us would know but I do wonder how much of the injury prones are due to poor preparation?

Based on my experiences playing sport - preparing before games and doing extra little things for recovery after games has been super effective.

I don't know the answer but is it all bad luck with Marchy cunners and Martin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want the coach to pick players who are fit, can contribute in their position and get through a game. If he gets through and plays well, great, if he looks unfit and plays poorly, it will be another instance of the MC picking underdone players who have come back too early.

It's a risk, No doubt, BUT what are the other options?

It also gets Kennedy back into the midfield

If he stands up he makes us a lot better. I also feel Voss is worried about our defence inside fwd 50. 4 weeks out and a finals spot on the line I feel it's a 'what have we got to lose" type deal

We haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to see him get a look against someone like Elliott, WHE or De Goey. Think that would be a good way to use his skillset. He could match them for speed while also having a height advantage. I would worry about his discipline when zoning off though.

At a pinch, possibly, I don't think he has the agility or nous

So all the rhetoric I saw on here about Kemp going forward last week was rubbish?

Based on my experiences playing sport - preparing before games and doing extra little things for recovery after games has been super effective.

I don't know the answer but is it all bad luck with Marchy cunners and Martin?

I think it is. I have never seen anyone question their efforts. Sadly, I just don't think their bodies can handle it

I'd rather see Kemp as a forward, but in a sustained block in the VFL, but thinking he can be a wingman right now? Not a chance

Almost as bizarre as when people wanted to play Lil Durdin or Fogarty as defenders
xDQ82x is there any chance you could ask your source for info on Kemp and where the club see his position in the long term?

So much chat about Kemp on BF regarding where he could, should and might play. But we've only ever seen him in the backline so far...

xDQ82x is there any chance you could ask your source for info on Kemp and where the club see his position in the long term?

So much chat about Kemp on BF regarding where he could, should and might play. But we've only ever seen him in the backline so far...

Depends who you ask. Clarke thinks he can play in the middle

I have no idea what Voss thinks (xDQ82x might know) but IMO he seems to be in defence out of need

Depends who you ask. Clarke thinks he can play in the middle

I have no idea what Voss thinks (xDQ82x might know) but IMO he seems to be in defence out of need
I can ask.

Last time i asked about him, the issue was he continued to fly for to much (without getting the result i.e mark), which he had been told not to. So he continues to take risks that just aren't paying off. I personally like that he is backing himself but if he is hurting the team against direct instruction you can see why they would drop him / not be happy.

this was well prior to his drop of in form / being beaten a lot in the last few weeks.

but the discussions didn't center on where else they see him playing.

leave it with me.

I'd rather see Kemp as a forward, but in a sustained block in the VFL, but thinking he can be a wingman right now? Not a chance

Almost as bizarre as when people wanted to play Lil Durdin or Fogarty as defenders
Was shocked they didn't pull that trigger during pre season once SOS went down especially with the availability of Martin

Agreed - Kemp could be a massive piece for us and maybe a move to the wing or playing as a HBF in the Cowan role could be the change he needs to become a gamebreaker...but that's a massive shift and requires him to be re-coached and trained in that position over the offseason.

Ideally we bring in a legitimate 2nd KPD to help Weiters and Gov, with Kemp freed up.

But for 2024, I still believe he's good enough. We just need to put more pressure on the ball carrier to stop him being exposed to such clear one-on-ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back