Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

Agreed - Kemp could be a massive piece for us and maybe a move to the wing or playing as a HBF in the Cowan role could be the change he needs to become a gamebreaker...but that's a massive shift and requires him to be re-coached and trained in that position over the offseason.

Serious question. Why? What if he's a natural at it and takes to it? Players move roles all the time

Have a look at Harrison Jones at Essendon. CHF until a few weeks ago and now do very well as a wingman

These players are good footballers. They are fit. He may well thrive on the mental break from defence?

Serious question. Why? What if he's a natural at it and takes to it? Players move roles all the time

Have a look at Harrison Jones at Essendon. CHF until a few weeks ago and now do very well as a wingman

These players are good footballers. They are fit. He may well thrive on the mental break from defence?
Yeah it's possible that he's an absolute natural at it. Just my opinion though that given the running and positional requirements that we place on our wingmen, it's likely to be too complex to pick up on the fly.

Haven't paid attention to Harrison Jones, but that could be something he had practised as a secondary position already.

I get what you’re saying. But every Essendon fan I’ve talked hates Jones on the wing. They reckon he’s a slow decision maker and slower disposer of the ball, and is much better suited in the forward line

Agreed - Kemp could be a massive piece for us and maybe a move to the wing or playing as a HBF in the Cowan role could be the change he needs to become a gamebreaker...but that's a massive shift and requires him to be re-coached and trained in that position over the offseason.

Ideally we bring in a legitimate 2nd KPD to help Weiters and Gov, with Kemp freed up.

But for 2024, I still believe he's good enough. We just need to put more pressure on the ball carrier to stop him being exposed to such clear one-on-ones.
Even though he played the majority of rep footy as a defender, just doesn't have the discipline/nous to play there at the next level, as yet

I think his attributes lend to being more naturally comfortable as a forward, but prefer he does a stint there at VFL level

With Elijah and hopefully Martin stays on the park, think Kemp remains a defender for the rest of this year

Yeah it's possible that he's an absolute natural at it. Just my opinion though that given the running and positional requirements that we place on our wingmen, it's likely to be too complex to pick up on the fly.

Haven't paid attention to Harrison Jones, but that could be something he had practised as a secondary position already.

I just think for many people it's easier to say NO than to consider other things. The fact is NO ONE knows until it's tried

I have seen so many players change positions, and reignite their careers, or go to a new level by moving spots.

Time will tell

I can ask.

Last time i asked about him, the issue was he continued to fly for to much (without getting the result i.e mark), which he had been told not to. So he continues to take risks that just aren't paying off.
Not too dissimilar to what many have stated previously

I personally like that he is backing himself but if he is hurting the team against direct instruction you can see why they would drop him / not be happy.
Love that he backs himself, hopefully he can find better balance if he remains a defender

but the discussions didn't center on where else they see him playing.

leave it with me.
Appreciate your input rumour boy

I get what you’re saying. But every Essendon fan I’ve talked hates Jones on the wing. They reckon he’s a slow decision maker and slower disposer of the ball, and is much better suited in the forward line
His move to the wing (along with Cox on the other) has pretty much coincided with their capitulation. Rerks of trying to shoehorn Caddy in somehow. * board in general absolutely hate it. So in my eyes it's been a raging success.

I can ask.

Last time i asked about him, the issue was he continued to fly for to much (without getting the result i.e mark), which he had been told not to. So he continues to take risks that just aren't paying off. I personally like that he is backing himself but if he is hurting the team against direct instruction you can see why they would drop him / not be happy.

this was well prior to his drop of in form / being beaten a lot in the last few weeks.

but the discussions didn't center on where else they see him playing.

leave it with me.

Cheers for the info X, and this is not directed at you, but if that is their analysis of how to fix the problem, they are sowing doubt in his mind before he even goes out there. Take away a players natural instinct and they lose their strength.
I'm sure there is more to it than your summarised version so I'm hoping he becomes an integral part of the side.

Fiddling around with some stats this morning and I took note of 1 that seems to line up with our form

Crumbs (first ground ball get after a marking contest) - Across the year we are 11th. In the past 5 weeks we are 3rd last.

Is that work rate? We aren't working hard enough to get around the marking contest? Is it IQ - our guys just don't know how to read the ball off a contest?

Whatever it is I think we can all see it inside our attacking 50 in particular, none of our small fwds are good crumbers. Williams seemed to be decent at it, but he can't help us right now unfortunately, and him being out lines up almost with the dramatic drop off.

Fiddling around with some stats this morning and I took note of 1 that seems to line up with our form

Crumbs (first ground ball get after a marking contest) - Across the year we are 11th. In the past 5 weeks we are 3rd last.

Is that work rate? We aren't working hard enough to get around the marking contest? Is it IQ - our guys just don't know how to read the ball off a contest?

Whatever it is I think we can all see it inside our attacking 50 in particular, none of our small fwds are good crumbers. Williams seemed to be decent at it, but he can't help us right now unfortunately, and him being out lines up almost with the dramatic drop off.

Workrate, players not getting to the next contest to outnumber the opposition

Lack of tempo, which is on the players and the coaching group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Workrate, players not getting to the next contest to outnumber the opposition

Lack of tempo, which is on the players and the coaching group
The ball does seem to bounce out of our backline fairly easily at times. Double team Charlie, bring the ball to ground, gain possession. I feel like I've seen that play out a thousand times this season.

For like you say, it seems there's 4 of them around while Charlie competes alone. No one else working back.

Interesting Young dropped after just one game when we desperately need another genuine tall in defence. Has two years to go on contract that club extended by three way before his original deal was up.

Be a big call to pay him out but it's obvious we don't rate him.

Well, he’s not a forward and have no idea why they decided to swap him and Kemp halfway through the last when the damage was done already up back.

Clubs have worked us out up back, doesn’t matter if you’re an average key forward our lack of height in defence is being exposed badly and Collingwood will do it again this week.

They’ll have a combination of Cox, McStay, Frampton, Howe, Cameron go through the forward line.

Selection this year has been incredibly bad and we’ll get what we deserve because of it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Which part - the pretty much losing every game since or their own supporters calling it an abject failure?

Doent mean that it couldn't work for Kemp though. Might be worth trailling next pre season .

That Essendon supporters on Bigfooty are the ultimate answer.

Personally, I think they were struggling before the move. Doesn't really matter and doesn't effect my opinion of Kemp. Some people really are taking this way too seriously. In the end MY opinion won't change anything and I know that 🙏

They have really built him up slowly. He makes our fwd line so much better when up and running.

If he stands up and gets through this week it's a big boost. If he breaks down again have we really lost anything? I wasn't expecting it but I understand it.

I feel as though it's a now or nothing type sceanrio.
100%

We don't want to die wondering

I told my son weeks ago, he's the sort of player that could win a Norm Smith (let's just see if he survives until the 10 min mark of Q1 first)

SO WHO IS PLAYING ON MASON COX?

If Kemp ends up anywhere near him our whole coaching staff deserve to be sacked.

I would actually send Curnow to do 2-3 3 minute spells down back each qtr or as required to help the defenders and use that time to give Kemp some fwd opportunities.

Curnow's kicking is elite (when he's taken his ADHD pills if ya know what I mean :)) and could provide a couple of bullet passes to our fwds

Need to throw magnets around and make ourselves less predictable!!!!

i'm a big believer in the psychology of sport and keeping your opposition wondering, second guessing, anxious etc.

Well, he’s not a forward and have no idea why they decided to swap him and Kemp halfway through the last when the damage was done already up back.

Clubs have worked us out up back, doesn’t matter if you’re an average key forward our lack of height in defence is being exposed badly and Collingwood will do it again this week.

They’ll have a combination of Cox, McStay, Frampton, Howe, Cameron go through the forward line.

Selection this year has been incredibly bad and we’ll get what we deserve because of it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So how do you suggest that we structure up our backline with what we currently have available?

Clearly our preferred choice was having Marchbank in there but that ship appears to have sailed due to injury/hit the wall. One of our options was S. Durdin but he is a scratching for the same reasons.

Interested to hear how you see that it should be selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back