Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

I could be completely wrong but something tells me that they’ve set themselves for these next 4 weeks and beyond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good inclusions; strong team.

This week needs to be a line in the sand moment. They need to bring the rage and the violence because the future beckons.

Last edited:

Voss said we’ll go in with the 23 selected. Unless you’ve heard something?

We probably will go in as named but I can see why he’s making that claim about Young.

Who plays on Cox when he’s forward? Weitering could but he probably nullifies McStay but then both Kemp and Gov are way undersized for that role on Cox.

Also it’s a big ask of Pitto to ruck mainly solo against Cameron and Cox all match. As much as I don’t rate Young, I’d rather him in the ruck than such a valuable commodity in McKay.

I'd say TDK, Williams and Doc for Pitt, O.Hollands and whatever small forward is out of form. JSOS for Martin is arguable as well. But I agree on paper a very strong team.
Damn - I've slipped.

Of course TDK & Williams - they should be in

Doc - he's a very outside chance of playing finals, and JSOS is not available this year

Young, don’t care what people have to say about him he’s proven he can do the job previously.
I think he’s been harshly treated at times, just needs to be the lockdown defender and not try and be anything else.

Bringing him in last week up forward was just dumb, and then he gets dropped yet the bloke who got beaten down back and is getting beaten more regularly than not stays in the team this week and will be up against more giants he’s proven he can’t handle which is not his fault I put that blame on selection

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So you are saying that you would have the rest of the backline as it is now but have Young in for Kemp?

Your original post seemed to imply that you thought that team selection this week (especially down back) would cost us the game.

So am I right in saying that you think having Kemp in instead of Young will be the difference between us winning and losing?

Good inclusions; strong team.

This week needs to be a line in the sand moment. They need to bring the rage and the violence because the future beckons.
Agree, this is our team with TDK & Williams if available, and as Voss said - build momentum from here.
Let's go Baggers - I'm confident, us by 13 :D

Going on selection this year, Voss and co have made plenty of mistakes

True. But not selecting Young is not one of them...

Just like moving Williams forward... they don't get everything wrong.

Young was given the chance and he proved far more often than not, that he is a liability down there.

Clearly the MC also see why Cottrell is important to our structure, a late pick who has outlasted flaky top 10 draft picks

Our structure looked pretty good when he was out...

Currently, he is out of form and a liability out there more than he is a help. A stint in the 2's would have done him and the team a lot of good rather than bringing him straight back in.

Young was given the chance and he proved far more often than not, that he is a liability down there.

I LIKE Young in for structure and to help Weitering
I DON'T like Young in because he is slow, soft, and doesn't impact contests enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We probably will go in as named but I can see why he’s making that claim about Young.

Who plays on Cox when he’s forward? Weitering could but he probably nullifies McStay but then both Kemp and Gov are way undersized for that role on Cox.

Also it’s a big ask of Pitto to ruck mainly solo against Cameron and Cox all match. As much as I don’t rate Young, I’d rather him in the ruck than such a valuable commodity in McKay.
I’d say Weiters takes the resting ruck, Kemp and Gov on McStay and WHE/Frampton. Don’t know whether they’ll risk Howe or Frampton forward with Martin in the team, and H and Charlie

Currently, he is out of form and a liability out there more than he is a help. A stint in the 2's would have done him and the team a lot of good rather than bringing him straight back in.
Would it? He’s out of form, just like 75% of the team at the moment. Doesn’t mean it was objectively the wrong decision to bring him back in

I tipped a 4 goal loss last week.

This week I'm going the opposite. 4 goal win.

They've named a strong team but so have we. They're coming off a 6 game break and lack the depth in the midfield to go with us.

The 400 game milestone will give them extra motivation but they won't have fuel in the tank after we blow them away in the 3rd for it to matter.

Which is why we need to rotate more through the midfield and keep our guys fresh. Too much heavy lifting is left to Cripps, Walsh, and Hewett. Get Cerra in there. Get Kennedy in there. Get Elijah in there. Give Walsh time on the wing. Get Cripps up forward for bursts. So much defensive work is left to our wings, particularly Acres. It’s not all on the mids though. Our defenders need to be more selfless and stop solely self preserving and worrying about their own man. They rarely (Weitering aside) peel off to help out. Play on instinct and attack the oppo, no corralling, no hesitation. Rush the opponent to dispose and force error. Immense pressure and intent is the key to winning. Attack with ball in hand. Hunt the oppo aggressively without the ball.
Time this bloke stood the f.. up.

1722576871512.png

Was shocked they didn't pull that trigger during pre season once SOS went down especially with the availability of Martin

I don’t think they could’ve moved Kemp forward because we just don’t have enough reliable tall back depth. The same thing happened in 2022 when Kemp played forward preseason but got shifted back when all of Marchy, Gov and Oscar got injured. The same thing happened this year (just substitute S Durdin for Oscar). Young stepped up in 2022 but has been woeful ever since.

Ultimately it’s a list management error IMO. Austen thought we could get by with what we had last year based on the second half of last year. It was a touch naive (or stupid) to think Marchy would be fit for more than 50% of the season. I think we could still win the flag in spite of it but the margin for error is very narrow. When Kemp struggles we invariably lose. We simply cannot be in the same position next year.

With respect to Cox tomorrow night I suspect Weitering will be responsible for him when he’s inside 50 which is good, and Kemp/Gov will go with him around the ground. Same goes for McStay. This is where no Miochek helps. I’m surprised they didn’t name Krueger, maybe he’s still concussed, because 2 talls inside 50 is problematic. It may not be a problem this week but other teams we may play later this year have the personnel to exploit it.

Last edited:
Frampton? lol scary...

Howe is 190cm... hardly a height factor, it's more his athleticism...

Cox and Cameron combined have kicked 10 goals this year. Last time we played, they kicked a combined... ONE goal... and that was without Gov and Kemp in the team...

McStay has played 2 games of football after an ACL. Mihocek was held goalless last time we played.

Even last week, Ratugolea only kicked 2.. it's not like he destroyed us.

Young was a massive liability last time... there's a reason that we haven't seen him since until last week when we literally had no choice...
Which Young was in the team at that time? What is missing? :laughv1:

While he hasn't been starring, I hope supporters are digging deeper than just possessions, especially as role players

I’d say Kemp has been a much bigger liability, and I’m not saying it’s his fault as he’s being asked to play on much bigger opponents.

Kemp cannot play on those opponents, it’s as plain as day and is costing us big time.

I actually think it’s throwing out the whole backline cohesion as others are in two minds about whether to help Kemp out or not when they should have the confidence to back a teammate in especially against key forward spuds that are being made to look very serviceable.

Would it? He’s out of form, just like 75% of the team at the moment. Doesn’t mean it was objectively the wrong decision to bring him back in

Cottrell should have come back via the 2’s, it’s a philosophical change of thought process that needs to start happening at Carlton.
Fitness and more importantly being selected on form is paramount to team and club dynamic.

Cottrell should have come back via the 2’s, it’s a philosophical change of thought process that needs to start happening at Carlton.
Fitness and more importantly being selected on form is paramount to team and club dynamic.

This.

And there should only be a handful of exceptions to this rule (Cripps, Weiters, Charlie, Walsh and Harry).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back