Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

Cottrell should have come back via the 2’s, it’s a philosophical change of thought process that needs to start happening at Carlton.
Fitness and more importantly being selected on form is paramount to team and club dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This.

And there should only be a handful of exceptions to this rule (Cripps, Weiters, Charlie, Walsh and Harry).

I’d add Saad and possibly TDK (albeit we have a very capable back up ruckman) to the above list of who come straight in from a long lay off.

I said at the time Cerra should’ve come back via the reserves and got met by the red thumb brigade. Cotts coming straight back in after 2 months out was lunacy.

I’d add Saad and possibly TDK (albeit we have a very capable back up ruckman) to the above list of who come straight in from a long lay off.

I said at the time Cerra should’ve come back via the reserves and got met by the red thumb brigade. Cotts coming straight back in after 2 months out was lunacy.
He’s extinct thankfully.

Could we have both in the reserves?
If you've got someone else that can do that unselfish 16km constant defensive running to close gaps. Obviously the match committee doesn't believe that there is anyone else that fits the bill. Who do you see as capable of that role that isn't currently in the senior team?

They also combined for 1 goal the second match last year... when Young didn't play... and the first match last year... 1 goal combined... Young did play

So I suppose what you're missing is two things:

1 - historically, they haven't been a threat in terms of kicking goals... regardless of whether Young plays or not...
2 - a memory of what happened when we played them the first time this year
Who was on McStay the first time?
Who did Young play on the 1st time?

I get your point. However that defensive high forward role that Cottrell plays was being played by Fantasia prior to him coming back. Most on here wanted Fantasia taken out the back and shot, let alone be omitted.

So it's not just whether Cottrell was bought back too early. The real question is whether we would have been better served with Fantasia in the seniors whilst Cottrell came back through the reserves?

Fanta was in the team when Cottrell was brought back though. Owies got the vest as a result which was pretty harsh given he assisted Fanta twice the game prior when he could have taken those shots and probably kicked them himself.

If you've got someone else that can do that unselfish 16km constant defensive running to close gaps. Obviously the match committee doesn't believe that there is anyone else that fits the bill. Who do you see as capable of that role that isn't currently in the senior team?
Acres was out last week.
Cottrell has a level which is proficient and occasionally amazing but mostly below the level.

Acres was out last week.
Cottrell has a level which is proficient and occasionally amazing but mostly below the level.
Career avg for kicks handballs tackles and defensive pressure all below AFL average

I know I am not an AFL coach or entitled to an opinion but I’d prefer a player that gets kicks, handballs and can tackle or at least does one area well. That’s just me

Career avg for kicks handballs tackles and defensive pressure all below AFL average

I know I am not an AFL coach or entitled to an opinion but I’d prefer a player that gets kicks, handballs and can tackle or at least does one area well
How do they measure defensive pressure ?? Is it a single metric or a number of things ?

Hell, I’m nearly 60 and I can run and block holes, as long as I don’t need to impact.!!!

Acres isn't playing the defensive high half forward role though. He's a winger.
I was at the game last week … sitting on the wing. I know what I saw.
Cottrell regularly lined up at centre bounces on the wing and was owned. No doubt he played half forward at times as well - but was just as ineffective.
He’s similar to Owies in my opinion - great to have on your team and almost very good players but likely to let you down when the real heat comes.

I was at the game last week … sitting on the wing. I know what I saw.
Cottrell regularly lined up at centre bounces on the wing and was owned. No doubt he played half forward at times as well - but was just as ineffective.
He’s similar to Owies in my opinion - great to have on your team and almost very good players but likely to let you down when the real heat comes.
Cottrell was close to BOG at half time against the Swans and comfortably for the night in a final in front of 92,000 last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cottrell was in great form before he got injured - I suspect Voss is giving players who performed well every chance to get match fit and ready for finals...We've seen him play Cerra/Cottrell/Marchbank and now Martin - as soon as they have been ticked off by Russell and co- evenMotlop onluy played 2 games in VFL...

not that there is much in VFL for him to choose from as alternatives- - I think people will be upset when Fantasia gets slotted back in as soon as he is ready.

Hunt in packs
Tighten up backs
Clear it from the middle
Crippa to make Maynard piddle
Cinc will wear Daicos like a glove
Coaches votes for gov
Jacky M to lay a big hip and shoulder
His bloody eyebrows smoulder
Forwards to kick a bag
Back on track for the flag
I love beers
Tomorrow evening collective cheers