Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Mirkov is unlucky. Surely Pittonet is carrying something, there's no other rational explanation for his dreadful form over the last 2-3 weeks... and in a squad of 26, we still don't really have a replacement for him if he doesn't come up. If Young has to play first ruck, who is his backup?

Particularly with Lemmey and Akuei both named - surely there's not a hope in hell we play both (and I'm really kind of hoping it's neither, if it's going to be wet). And Durdin is a risk with that shoulder. If it was me, I'd pick both Moir and Wilson (one as sub), and see how it goes. But I'm sure Durdin will play, and more likely be in the 22 than as sub.

Defensive matchups: Waterman looms as the big danger, for mine. We could try Kemp, but I'd rather Kemp forward, because it has awful back there the last couple of weeks: he is killing us, and we are killing him. Maybe Cowan, size disadvantage notwithstanding, because he's hard and tough, big-hearted and will have a massive crack. Leaves Newman on Darling and Weitering on Allen. Suspecting Young won't spend much time in the backline. We need someone for Jamie Cripps because he's dangerous and can hurt us - Cincotta for mine. That leaves McGovern rolling the dice against their other forwards, which is probably about right.

Kemp and Kennedy forward for me, with Owies, Williams, Motlop and a pair of Hollandses. Hmmm. It is what it is.

Comparatively, the middle looks decent (other than the ruckman). Cripps, Hewett and Lord on the inside, Acres and Binns on the outside, Walsh and Carroll hopefully in between.

Durdin/Wilson/Moir plugging the worst of whatever holes we have left. Welp... it should be interesting viewing.

I see Pittonet isn't dumped.

Starting a man down from jump with a player who has proven time and time again that they don't give a **** and are incapable of lifting a finger.

Good to see all of the potential debuts though I doubt most of them play.
Yeah way too much faith in Pitt here, he's cooked. Shattered for Mirkov, who is clearly putting in work. Likewise, Owies is one I absolutely think needs a rest, and I'm surprise they got ticked off to play.

Hoping for a final bench of Cincotta, Lord, Carroll, Lemmey, Wilson, because there's already enough small/medium forward options on the field.

Kemp forward, Young defence, Cincotta sub unless he has a lockdown role down back.

I’m actually interested in this game now, not that I think we will win but the fact we have something new to look forward to with where players will play, who will play etc.

It will force the coaches to be creative and throw things around if they aren’t working as well.

We may stumble ass backwards into a positional move for a player which works, or generate some enthusiasm when the playing group have looked joyless and terrified the last dozen weeks.

I'd like Lemmey to play and see if he shows anything for the future. At the moment he seems a bit hit & miss in the 2's and it also seems lik3 the club is still trying to find his best position

He's got one year left on his contract and by all accounts he doesn't lack drive and effort, so giving him a chance against a team who is near the bottom of the table, could do a world of difference for his growth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah way too much faith in Pitt here, he's cooked. Shattered for Mirkov, who is clearly putting in work. Likewise, Owies is one I absolutely think needs a rest, and I'm surprise they got ticked off to play
It's a a weird one because before he got injured he seemed like he was taking his game to a new level. He was pushing players around in the ruck and his contribution around the field was improving too

He's not a first choice ruck in my opinion but he definitely was showing signs of being a contributing team member instead of feeling like we are playing with a player short

Did that rush him back to quick & is he still carrying something..that would be an interesting question 🤔

I think if we lose against West Coast he will be dropped. At the moment there is a slim chance of finals, and with the wholesale changes we have made the MC probably wanted some experience & seniority in the ruck for this gam3

Yeah way too much faith in Pitt here, he's cooked. Shattered for Mirkov, who is clearly putting in work. Likewise, Owies is one I absolutely think needs a rest, and I'm surprise they got ticked off to play.
Maybe in ordinary circumstances they could 'rest' them, but these are extra ordinary circumstances and we don't have that luxury. Unless they're injured, they're playing.

I agree though that big Mirk should have got a gig....he was BOG last week in the magoos alongside Lord, so it would have been good to see what he can offer at the top level, especially against Williams. Nothing against Williams - I rate him as a ruckman - but he's not in the same class as a Gawn or Grundy.

I think Voss will do this:

Newman Weitering Kemp
Cowan McGovern Cincotta
OHollands Cripps Acres
EHollands Kennedy Lord
Owies Young Williams
Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Carroll Binns Motlop Durdin
Sub: Wilson/Moir

It's a a weird one because before he got injured he seemed like he was taking his game to a new level. He was pushing players around in the ruck and his contribution around the field was improving too

He's not a first choice ruck in my opinion but he definitely was showing signs of being a contributing team member instead of feeling like we are playing with a player short

Did that rush him back to quick & is he still carrying something..that would be an interesting question 🤔

I think if we lose against West Coast he will be dropped. At the moment there is a slim chance of finals, and with the wholesale changes we have made the MC probably wanted some experience & seniority in the ruck for this gam3
Pittonet has missed about 9 games a season on average for 6 or 7 years. It's as predictable it gets.
No Barass would suggest he’s gone.
He was under a fitness cloud for this game, and they have his trade and list value to think about. They're not winning anything other than 4 points.
Maybe in ordinary circumstances they could 'rest' them, but these are extra ordinary circumstances and we don't have that luxury. Unless they're injured, they're playing.
I get where you're coming from, but Martin had a direct replacement in Moir, and Pittonet had a direct replacement in Mirkov.

If Durdin starts, I'll be wondering why we didn't rest Owies. He was out of gas all game last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if Durdin misses. He has been horribly out of form or injured all year. Was a non factor in the VFL. Plus we have 3 smalls already.

I see Durdin, Akuei and Wilson missing out.

So Lemmy, Lord and Moir to debut.

Will be wet and windy but probably won't rain during the game. Their talls may not be as effective as they think.

Eagles supporters thinking they are about to win the premiership over here! Still the game is a 50/50 proposition. I'm really hoping that the team cracks in after a weak effort last week. This game is all about pride in the jumper. I'm hopeful!

I really wanted Lemmon to play but I’ve heard the forecast for Saturday and Sunday and its 15mm rain on Saturday, the Rugby union on at Optus Saturday night and 5mm on Sunday, not sure how i feel about debut a raw kid in that, i think id rather go for more mids and smalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back