Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty are isolating one decision. It's the sole focus of social media and will likely be the primary talking point from our game in any mainstream media for the next week too.

But this is what social and mainstream media do. They find a contentious event or opinion and then flog it til the next wave of games happen.

They have no vested interest in balanced discussion, only in sensationalism.

Saw a snippet earlier - Richo and Jobe suggesting that we have the technology and should be able to review the possessions leading up to a score as well to "make sure we get the right outcome". And people will agree with them because this instance looks like a club most love to hate got a win as a result. Despite it being an absolutely laughable take.

Six months ago we had a team miss a finals berth because the goal review technology is s**t. Now we want the ARC to review a whole chain of possessions in 30 seconds, and what....if there was a touched kick coming out of defence that ended up in a goal down the other end, we're gonna take the ball all the way back, put 45 seconds back onto the clock, and have a ball-up?

I've read people on social media suggesting we have video umpires who can overrule the field umpires and recall play. Like that would work! "Hey Jeff, that play on call 20 seconds ago was incorrect, Cripps dropped the ball and I'm satisfied that he actually had prior opportunity. Please blow the whistle, stop the play downfield, bring the ball back and award a free kick to Serong. Not there...two metres back...three paces to your left....no sorry, my left, your right...yep, that's the spot." Ridiculous.

Was the ball touched? Yep. Was it an easy one to spot in real time from ground level in congestion? Hell no. Does it happen multiple times a game? Absolutely. Should we change how we review scores based solely on the margin and the time left on the clock? Absolutely not.
My view on the ball being touched is that the game worked best when the rule was called in real time on the field. If the adjudicating umpire doesn’t see a touch, then there was no touch. All of this freeze framing to see whether the middle digit on someone’s hand extended backwards by 10 millimetres when the ball was whizzing past is nonsense.

Your post is absolutely spot on with all that you say. It’s not the lack of technology which is killing all of these sorts of decisions, it is the extent of technology which we have in place which is doing it. The idea of having people looking at the chain of play as it comes down the ground is nonsense. And I personally can’t believe that the men who wrote the rules of the game ever intended that the ball brushing against a lock of hair would constitute being touched.

Like Soapy and others have said, Ollie is hopelessly out of form at the moment.
There is absolutely no issue with going back to the 2’s to find some form and should be encouraged with others who look in form in the twos given a go. It’s how it should be, it’s a high performance sport.
Ollie has had a great start to his career but he’s not contributing anywhere near enough right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What 2s? They've played 1 game and the AFL is in round 4/5.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has anyone asked the question?

What are Freo wearing Navy Blue against us?

we are Navy Blue, you chose your pathetic Tellytubby colours (purple, red and green) - wear them and let us wear our Navy Blue
My 11 year old daughter asked me why we were in the white again (“it doesn’t look very good, dad”). I feel like I don’t have an answer anymore. It was the same against North, where I thought the navy had to provide a greater contrast than the white did.

In the end, I just softed out and told my daughter that we wear whatever the AFL tells us to wear.

My view on the ball being touched is that the game worked best when the rule was called in real time on the field. If the adjudicating umpire doesn’t see a touch, then there was no touch. All of this freeze framing to see whether the middle digit on someone’s hand extended backwards by 10 millimetres when the ball was whizzing past is nonsense.

Your post is absolutely spot on with all that you say. It’s not the lack of technology which is killing all of these sorts of decisions, it is the extent of technology which we have in place which is doing it. The idea of having people looking at the chain of play as it comes down the ground is nonsense. And I personally can’t believe that the men who wrote the rules of the game ever intended that the ball brushing against a lock of hair would constitute being touched.
"Brushing a lock of hair", the AFL have now come out and said it was touched and a wrong decision.

ugly win even watching it I couldn’t get into it, freo dragged us into their game, take the four points.

cant complain about 4- zip start. in previous years we’d would lost to Brisbane by 3 goals after we come home with wet sail, tigers /freo flip a coin by the stupid mistakes would’ve been us rather than them, and north ground out a four goal win without looking comfortable.

Adelaide look right for the picking, so five - zip start gives us the breathing room coming into a tough month or so.

"Brushing a lock of hair", the AFL have now come out and said it was touched and a wrong decision.
A lot of people thought it was. Sucks to win that way and certainly sucks for you guys to lose that way.

They had the top 7 possession getters on the ground, Harry having no influence, smashed us in clearances and the game played totally on their terms.

And still lost...

Its what good teams do.

They just win!.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Helps that our defense is the best in the league with Weitering there. Can't withstand for years if the targets include taberner lol

Unrelated but need a quick answer - best place on Lygon St for a late arvo pasta meal with the kids? AKA where would we be most likely to happen upon a player or two for a congratulatory salute ;)

Except, of course, if Blake Acres does it in a tight final. ;)

Should never have come to that anyway. Just prior when Treacy dropped that mark, Ryan was facing the wrong way and holding Kennedy out of that contest.

People only worry about the things that they care about. Freo weren't robbed.

I never said it wasn’t touched. It clearly brushed the lock of hair and the back of the shoulder.

My view is not that it wasn’t touched. Simply that the current way the rule is policed using technology (and now the additional push for that to apply across the field, and not just for shots at goal) is not likely to improve the sport - it slows it down, takes away from real time celebration by fans, and reinterprets a touch away from what I believe was initially intended by the law makers of the game - I.e. a ball which the umpire perceives as deviating in real time.

My view is simply that if the controlling umpire doesn’t see a touch in real time, there should be no touch called. As a club we’ve been beneficiaries of such decisions, and been on the wrong end of them too. Technology is not likely to improve the sport if we are calling on it for each onfield decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our VFL side have played one game which was last weekend. Not sure how you go back to find form with one game by the time the AFL level has played 6.

They’ve been playing and will play Practice matches and lots of match sims. Coaches will have a good feel who is ready to go

If you look at a body of work including pre season Cincotta Binns Wilson Cowan deserve a go if the opportunity arises

As for Hollands, he is definitely struggling to get involved. It’s just a question of what the coaches believe is the best way for him and the team moving forward

Stats are interesting. Again we have no real huge possession winners. For the whole season only one player has once passed 30 possessions and that was Cripps against Richmond.

Jack Carroll's TOG all season has been low and was really low in this game. His possession tally is pretty good and has been all season considering his TOG.

Plenty of big ball winners in defence. We have a really strong defence offensively. Most of our defenders can play on any line and play high or deep. Most are capable of 20+ possession games. So many of our defenders are capable of getting off the chain. This would be one of the most difficult challenges for the coaches when playing Carlton. Particularly compared to the finals series last season.

I haven't seen the game but 14 marks to Kemp is huge. He's putting his hand up as genuine best 22 player. Looks like someone who has come of age. If we can't always find a spot for him in defence then we should be trying him in other positions like wing of forward.
With Walsh and Marchy coming back next week, and Martin seemingly weeks away, why not try Kemp as a tall 3rd fwd now. It means Matty K battles to stay in, but either he or Carroll will likely make way for Walsh anyway.

Except, of course, if Blake Acres does it in a tight final. ;)
I still don’t support it. The Acres hair touch in the prelim was ridiculous. Though I know you are referring to the Swans’ game. I personally believe the tech people seem to be guessing as much as anything. The fact we all sit there holding our breath waiting for the decision to be made is testament to that. We genuinely have no idea which way they are going to go.

I don’t know. I guess I have never seen value to these ad infinitum replays that pick up on some perceived molecular movement in one direction or another.

Owies great mark and goal start of Q4 …

He should have played all game imo 🙌
very odd decision to make Owies the sub after he had kicked three the previous week.

He was/is our only SF in good form.

Crippa is our midfield leader and was always going to a bit off after the birth of his daughter....he stood up at the death though and kicked a couple.... Cuners, Martin, Mots all capable of midfield cameos for the spark factor, but all injured (Elijah too).

Walsh back in the mix changes our dynamic hugely.

Elijah H. will miss a few weeks presumably and his brother needs a stint in the 2s.

After QT, TDK totally negated Jackson and did some good stuff around the ground too. I doubt the media will pump him up as they have done Jackson (whom I don't rate much).

Somehow, we got sucked into playing their slow brand of footy.

We got the points, probably should have won more easily (missed shots) and let's not overlook 6 of their 9 goals were frees right in front of goal - most weeks, at least half of them wouldn't have been paid frankly.

To the Crows...

Ollie Hollands earned his spot in the 22, you don’t drop him unless
A. He is not playing his role and has stopped the gut running efforts
B. Someone who can do the role is beating the door down in the reserves

Can’t see either of those things have happened, gotta give a kid the chance to work through a quiet patch.

Can destroy confidence if you drop someone who is playing a role with the required effort and the results are not quite there. You then encourage him to cheat or game the system to try and show he is contributing, so he can keep his spot in the side. Perversely, going away from the game plan regardless of the result should be the reason he is dropped, not a couple of poor results from sticking to it.
disagree, if there's a guy in the 2s who's in form and who can play OH's role, he gets a go....

It's pretty clear Ollie has lost his mojo for the moment.

Now that it looks like the ball did in fact deflect of Aish it’s also important to remember that had the umpires called play on immediately that Cortrell would have still marked the ball and then handballed it to Owies who was running past him calling for the ball and who happened to be open with only Carlton players in front of him who wouldn’t have blocked him - and Owies is so clutch he would have kicked the goal and game over

Of course the deflection was not obvious to the naked eye and even on the TV it was not clear - it only became apparent from a phone on the opposite side of the stadium - but even had the deflection been more obvious the point is Cottrell outworked his opponent and was going to get us the goal anyway

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Back