Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Vossy totally outcoached today, we resorted back to the 2022 Carlton game plan , guard space and allow easy outlets at stoppages, and more damming, in the forward line add to the fact our conversion rate was just like old times., very frustrating to watch. with todays form and the injuries i can't see us getting within 5 goals of GWS. what a waste of 4 points.

It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed after a loss

It's perfectly reasonable to point out reasons (perceived, opinion or fact) why we lost

You can disagree but this is a community and we welcome a broad range of opinion, not just positive ones.

Absolutely, I was also interested in the derogatory comments 1st quarter of the season

What worried me all game was the ease in which they got their goals and how well they would spot up I50 options - marks I50 were 11 to 4 at 1/2 time, sums up what I’m saying. 11 to 18 at game’s end, yuck
At half time, 9 of those 11 marks inside 50 for the the Crows were uncontested. That is a real worry. I think we can expect a lot more teams to adopt their method, and I'm not sure how we're going to respond.

I was at game and was really watching our forward line. EVERYTIME we kick it inside 50 it is deep to McKay & Curnow and the opposition defenders all go to that position. It is so predictable. Numerous times we have players on their own and were ignored. It’s POOR football.

Our kicking and vision is very poor

Our smalls need to do more but to be fair they aren’t given a chance because of the way we play.
Exactly Soap, we desperately need a third forward target. This would have been the perfect game to debut Moir. We most certainly lost this game at the selection table. Selecting Pitt to play today was an absolute disaster imo.

Replacing Cerra with Pittonet is a fairly arrogant call to make. No respect to the opposition

And on Pitto, what on earth do they see in him?

I really hope that was the "loss we needed" because there's a lot of complacency out there right now.

Our small forwards are lazy and ineffective. Allowed their men to waltz past them in attack all night. Horrid
I dont think our mids small fowards are lazy though...they are just not fast or effective.

Missed fog obviously and we are missing motlop who is probably our best small forward.

Last edited:
Serious Question…

Based on the first 5 games…
Are we really as good as we think we are?

My honest opinion we certainly could be but are way off at the moment

We aren’t playing as well as we did late last year and we play such a simple game style that sides are starting to pick us apart but getting numbers to Charlie/McKay and denying us the ball with possession football

On top of that injuries are hurting us and I don’t think we know how to balance our midfield yet

Weitering was poor, as were the rest of our defence, but problem was tactical. We were set up for the long ball, but Crows refused to do it all game.

They took the short kick every time and constantly found players in space. We failed to adjust until late into the second half but damage was done. Lacked pressure at the source, gave up the corridor and the short kick too easily, and we paid for it.

Walker is far too good a player to give that much space without pressure up the field, nevermind Rachele and Rankine.
I watched Weitering closely at the game. He refused to play back shoulder on walker. Was constantly allowing 10 to 15 metres between them. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Not good enough from a leader. Basic fundamentals of defending.

So at worst, we are where we should be

Lay out our season losses, we can review it end of year together

GWS -- win (danger)

Geelong -- loss

Filth -- win (danger)

Melbourne -- win (danger)

Sydney -- loss

Gold Coast -- win

Port Adelaide -- loss

* -- win (interesting)

At the bye we should be 9-4. Worst case scenario is 6w 7l.

Geelong -- win (danger)

Richmond -- win

GWS -- loss

Bulldogs -- win (danger)

North -- win

Port -- win (danger)

Filth -- win (danger)

Hawthorn -- win

West Coast -- win

Saints -- win (danger)

We go 9-1 after the bye with a worst case scenario being 5-5.

My prediction: 18-5

Worst case scenario: 11-12

Most likely we drop 2 or 3 of those danger games and end up with 16-7 probably being a fair "pass mark."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was always going to be a big ask against a very talented line up who were winless going into RD5

Compounding that is our poor goal kicking today, plus the loss of Saad early and loss of Cerra pre-game really hurt us

I was never convinced we were winning the flag this year, I have always thought next year is where we make a real fist of it. So maybe I’m hurting less than the rest here, in any case - there has been some questionable takes tonight.

That was hardly worth the reply. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that we haven't been anywhere near our best this season? I know other teams have lost games, but there are several who have shown far better form than us. One of them we are facing next week.

I know we are capable and we see glimpses game to game, but I just don't know what it is about this team that we can't string it together.

Part of an autopsy thread, especially after a loss, is to dissect what has happened and what can be improved on. Doing the whole 'nothing to see here' every week, isn't helpful. It's not like I'm posting hysterically.
Absolutely, let's dissect this loss, where we had more scoring shots and lost by 1 kick

What do you believe was the difference between winning and losing?

Again, state a position rather than analysis after a loss

I had us 13-16 wins for the year.

Where do you see our range?
Did you read the post to the end? We are not going as well as expected imo. That's my opinion?

You seem hell bent on trying to shut down any negative opinion regardless or not of if said poster wither a negative opinion has given supporting evidence.

I don't think you're handling the loss any better than the posters you are responding to. People have negative opinions, we don't live in a utopia. It's ok.

Again, state a position rather than analysis after a loss

I had us 13-16 wins for the year.

Where do you see our range?

This is getting weird Arr0w. So you want people to outline how many wins and losses they expect us to get this year, and then just accept the losses when they come, without analysis, as long as those losses are within your nominated expectations?

Should we just shut down the board and come back in September?

Exactly Soap, we desperately need a third forward target. This would have been the perfect game to debut Moir. We most certainly lost this game at the selection table. Selecting Pitt to play today was an absolute disaster imo.

The way we deliver it inside 50 we could have Ablett Snr up there and it wouldn’t matter

I watched Weitering closely at the game. He refused to play back shoulder on walker. Was constantly allowing 10 to 15 metres between them. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Likewise, it was clearly instruction. He wants to play the intercept role and setup for the long ball, but the Crows went short every time. Agree that it was infuriating, should have adjusted in the first after Walker's 4 i50 marks.

We lost the game with poor kicking for goal.

GWS -- win (danger)

Geelong -- loss

Filth -- win (danger)

Melbourne -- win (danger)

Sydney -- loss

Gold Coast -- win

Port Adelaide -- loss

* -- win (interesting)

At the bye we should be 9-4. Worst case scenario is 6w 7l.

Geelong -- win (danger)

Richmond -- win

GWS -- loss

Bulldogs -- win (danger)

North -- win

Port -- win (danger)

Filth -- win (danger)

Hawthorn -- win

West Coast -- win

Saints -- win (danger)

We go 9-1 after the bye with a worst case scenario being 5-5.

My prediction: 18-5

Worst case scenario: 11-12

Most likely we drop 2 or 3 of those danger games and end up with 16-7 probably being a fair "pass mark."

So 18 - 5 puts us in the top 3, happy with that outcome leading into finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Back