Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss talks about moments.

Forget how many goals and marks we missed, the game changed when Zac/Kemp couldn’t kill that ball in the pocket.

Owies walks into an open goal-Misses.

Cottrell/Hollands 2 on 1 late 40 out drops the mark.

Moments are the difference between winning and losing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've been banging on about him, but Ollie killed us in both contests. Missed the easiest of tackles before the Kemp dropped mark, then lead his man into the contest with Cottrell and failed to put any body on.

Why do we have so have many Benny Hill moments compared to other teams?

You ordinarily only see instances a few times a year across the competition where a player runs into an open goal and drops it, gets tackled, stubs their toe, both stand under a high ball and spill it, etc.

We’ve seen all of those from Carlton in just a few weeks, and it’s finally cost us a game.

Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing - so many amateur “moments” from CFC players. Kemp & Williams boundary effort was the last straw 🤦‍♂️
Then Owies…

Absolutely, let's dissect this loss, where we had more scoring shots and lost by 1 kick

What do you believe was the difference between winning and losing?

Decision making, skills, defensive positioning, not enough run, working our way up the ground with smart kickers and smart kicking, then bombing long hoping our two talls would take the mark. We play our small forwards as pressure bringers, but they don't rove to our big guys. We also don't have front and centre midfielders. Whether these things aren't part of our game plan or we have players without a natural flair for roving off packs, I'm not sure. Owies did a little of this tonight and looked good as a result.

We have a couple of players who have been out of sorts for 5 games now. Ollie Hollands and Fantasia. My feeling ... MY feeling is that we are continuing to play them in a hope that they re-capture what they are in the side for. We have little trust for many of our players when they are in the VFL. Meanwhile, other clubs are debuting players to see what they have got. I reckon we might be a little scared that bringing someone else in will make our system weaker as they haven't been playing it as long or as intensely.

I'm a little concerned that we have nothing in the VFL to replace certain types of injuries so we have to play players out of position. Our recruiting can be a little strange at times. Really looking forward to the midseason draft at this point.

For those saying we replaced Cerra with Pittonet - it was only a replacement on paper.
Kennedy replaced Cerra’s role - but when Saad went down it was Kennedy who went back. Now that was an odd decision - but there were not many other options.

Said it in the game day thread, I thought Cottrell was the guy to throw back when Saad went down. He would’ve been disciplined enough to follow Rankine around for the second half, and that probably would’ve won us the game. He was the difference imo.

He was better than last week, but he still wasn't great.

Considering we have Binns just waiting in the wings it's been disappointing to see him hold his spot for so long without having great form.
I'll be gobsmacked if he plays next week.

He was tracking similarly last year before his injury, and was probably a week or two away from being rested. Played very well upon return from injury but he's far off the pace atm.

I think that's the worst game he's ever played.

Not at all

I'm interested in where we are as a team versus the competition as a whole, not after a few wins or 1 loss

On exposed form our ladder position flatters us massively.

We’re not playing top 4 football. Probably not top 8. Somewhere around 12th feels fair at the moment.

So far this year we’ve played one electric quarter against Brisbane. That is literally all we have done that suggests we are a genuine contender.

So much work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decision making, skills, defensive positioning, not enough run, working our way up the ground with smart kickers and smart kicking, then bombing long hoping our two talls would take the mark. We play our small forwards as pressure bringers, but they don't rove to our big guys. We also don't have front and centre midfielders. Whether these things aren't part of our game plan or we have players without a natural flair for roving off packs, I'm not sure. Owies did a little of this tonight and looked good as a result.

We have a couple of players who have been out of sorts for 5 games now. Ollie Hollands and Fantasia. My feeling ... MY feeling is that we are continuing to play them in a hope that they re-capture what they are in the side for. We have little trust for many of our players when they are in the VFL. Meanwhile, other clubs are debuting players to see what they have got. I reckon we might be a little scared that bringing someone else in will make our system weaker as they haven't been playing it as long or as intensely.

I'm a little concerned that we have nothing in the VFL to replace certain types of injuries so we have to play players out of position. Our recruiting can be a little strange at times. Really looking forward to the midseason draft at this point.

Saved me writing it 👍

14.14 is where it was lost IMO, but:

- We let Adelaide do as they pleased with minimal pressure for the majority of the game. This led to several easy goals.

- Pitto for Cerra was just a dumb selection.

- We bombed it forward in hope so many times, the Crows were much cleaner in this aspect of the game.

- Their pace destroyed us.

Issues for me that need to be corrected for us to challenge later this year

ONE ruck with McKay supporting.
Ball use inside forward 50. Need to be a lot smarter and look for best option.
Clearances. Dropped off badly since last year
Injuries. Hurting us badly. NO side can win a flag with a long injury list
Your point on injuries is spot on, so many things need to go right to win a flag and an injury list with 5+ best 23 players on it would test anyone.

We’ve missed Doc, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra and now Saad for games this year.

All fair and reasonable concerns

I think a win or loss changes the perception or analysis by a wide margin

I thought we were overly aggressive in positioning, where it is a fine line between winning, halving or losing at the contest

Perhaps a more conservative approach after being up 2 kicks late in the game was a better tactic

Just got back from the game and amazed we found a way to lose the game. Adelaide played at their best and we had plenty of chances, and the last Owies play was bewildering.

Disappointed, but not devastated, as it was a high standard game. Losing Saad early hurt, but not an excuse. We praised our team for digging deep to win against Freo, so have to dips me lid to the Crows for doing the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Back