Preview 2024 Rd 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Saturday April 13 4:35PM (AEST) @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy 👍

Only 1 change:-

IN: Sam Walsh
OUT: Lachie Fogarty (suspension)

Round 5 team v Adelaide
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernZac Williams
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Elijah HollandsHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinSam Walsh
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsLachlan CowanMarc Pittonet

#WALSH100

Durdin doesn't tackle with the same intensity as Fog.

He got that many i50 because of Freo flooding back.

I think this is a chance to challenge him, we know he’s not as strong as Fogarty and probably doesn’t have the build to chop out in the middle yet but I think he can bring the pressure if need be.

I thought when we win this week it will be 18 wins from
The last 20 games?

Rnds 14 - R23 - 9 wins (Bye in Rnd 15)
Rnd 24 - Loss
Elim Final - win
Semi Final - win
Prelim - loss

Rnds 0 - Rnd 4 - 4 wins

Total = 15 wins from our last 17

But not leaving him there for whole games.

Pinch hitter
He's only pinch hitting in the middle, only averaging about 6 CBA per game (approx 20%). That's the kind of numbers we typically see from the other half forwards like Fogarty, Cuningham, and Elijah (although I expect his centre-square rotations will increase over the course of the season).

Yeah he gets involved at some general play type stoppages in the forward half, but he's effectively playing most of his game as more of a marking half forward type.

Comparatively, Carroll's getting about 13 and 45% (including the first game where he came on as the activated sub), so he's playing predominantly mid while the lesser portion of his game is at half forward.

Suspect Voss will only make forced changes, which is the right move for continuity this time of the year

I do think that we should try and get games in to other players. Don't want to end up like Collingwood in 2011.

I do think that we should try and get games in to other players. Don't want to end up like Collingwood in 2011.

We aren't WC, North or Hawks, but we have been in that position

This is not the time to play blokes just to get a look at what they can do

We have had 1 VFL game, so there is no formline for a debutant, nor do I believe the likes of Binns is ready despite showing decent form last year

Fog is a pretty big loss IMO. He's almost a barometer of our pressure game. He's always going absolutely 100% intensity and it must rub off on teammates.
It's impressive that statements like this are being made about him, considering 12 months ago, I think most of this board would have gladly traded him away or delisted him. It is a great change to his gameplay and what we value at the blues these days.

I am hoping that maybe Carroll can play his role and Walsh will play Carroll's role.

Last edited:
The key points in these discussion for me are

1) Marchbank is too good for the VFL and if we are going to play him, then play him in the AFL. I mean the main concern with Marchbank is him getting an injury and this can happen just as easily at either level so there is no point risking him in the VFL if he is fit enough to play IMO.

2) Kemp is definitely too good to drop. He was stiff to go out when Marchbank returned in rd 2 and he would be even stiffer to go out against the Crows

So the only way Marchbank fits back in is if he, or Kemp, plays elsewhere (assuming Weitering and Gov are staying down back, which definitely believe that they should be)

3) Our forward line still seems to be missing something, esp if E.Hollands is injured and now that Fog is having a week off.

So what would I like to see ???

Assuming no other out apart from Fog and E.Hollands, then I would go

Walsh and Marchbank come in, Kemp move in to the forward line to take over from E.Hollands, Owies comes in to take over from Fog and Carrol moves back to the Sub (nothing against Carrol but Sam takes his place in the starting line up).

So the line up would be

Newman - Weitering - Marchbank
Saad - Gov - Williams
Walsh - Cripps - Acres
Fantasia - McKay - Kemp
Durdin - Curnow - Owies
TDK - Cerra - Hewett

Boyd - Kennedy - O.Hollands - Cottrell
Sub - Carrol
perfect summary of what we should be doing and trying to create a third option for a marking forward [especially with both Jacks out injured]

OR forward line and rotations

Fantasia Harry Owies
Cuners Charlie Fog

Cotts Kennedy

This week

Fantasia Harry Owies
Cotts Charlie Durdin

Kennedy

I think we are okay for this week without too many changes

That has been the benefit of the first few weeks, we've rotated our forwards and I think we're trying to find the best combination of players long term.

Curnow, Harry - Locks.
Martin, Motlop - Potential locks when fit.
Fogarty/Cotts - They've both seemed to elevate themselves to almost a lock in the rotations, playing important roles.

The questions are, who are the two other forwards that join this rotation?
Durdin, Owies, Fantasia, Hollands, Kennedy?
It is so interesting, I could put forward an argument for all four options.
My personal current ranking
Durdin > Owies > Kennedy > Hollands > Fantasia

That has been the benefit of the first few weeks, we've rotated our forwards and I think we're trying to find the best combination of players long term.

Curnow, Harry - Locks.
Martin, Motlop - Potential locks when fit.
Fogarty/Cotts - They've both seemed to elevate themselves to almost a lock in the rotations, playing important roles.

The questions are, who are the two other forwards that join this rotation?
Durdin, Owies, Fantasia, Hollands, Kennedy?

Great position to be in

This week I suspect we will rotate all or most of our mids through the forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for Pittonet to come back into the team.
It would be interesting to see whether the non-selection of Pitto is the reason for our drop in clearances.
Or could it be more to do with Cripps and Cerra getting less touches. And an absence of Walsh, Kennedy and Dow from last year's clearance dominant midfield mix?

I couldn’t agree more
Kemp is showing enormous potential and what do youngsters need with potential??
Not to be F around
They need continuity…
I reckon the lad will be a gun if we play our cards right
And yes….Chuck him up forward if the match warrants it at the time but no way does Marchy play before him
Crikey I feel for Marchy but he is made of balsa wood… I don’t think he offers much more than Kemp atm let alone looking into the future…
Irc there was talk he could of went top 3 in his draft year before he done his ACL..

Reckon Owies is the most consistent goal scorer of the small forward brigade - based on his past 22 games he has scored 33 goals (scoring in 19 of those games).

In a forward line that relies heavily on Charlie and H, we need reliable contributors which Owies has shown to be.

Expect this will change in time as Durdin is still young and will improve, but at the moment doesn’t hit the scoreboard as much.

Fantasia and Elijah have shown some good signs and skills, and will get better with more games. As you say competition will be tough but these forwards need to hit the scoreboard as well as apply pressure to stay in the side.

This is who we have left as depth atm:

Binns
Cowan
Cincotta
S Durdin
Marchbank
Lemmey
Moir
Pitto
Young
Wilson

*Walsh *

As said before depth is the best we’ve ever had but our injuries seems to be confided to one area of the field.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think if we don't start scoring from centre clearances teams are just going to do what Freo did and flood our backline, same as in our rough patch last year. Can't rely on Charlie & Harry then, can't find a way to brute force goals through a crowded forward line, can't kick goals from outside 50.

Time for Pittonet to come back into the team.
We will start to score from clearances because the return of walsh, martin and hollands should help us to flick it outside of stoppage.

Hollands as test with nothing on the scan - copped a boot to the groin? He’ll be right if that’s the case.

Fantastia’s recruitment is proving fortuitous.

Kemp’s running capacity is enormous - does he have the nous or experience to play the high-half-forward role if Hollands misses?

Reckon Owies is the most consistent goal scorer of the small forward brigade - based on his past 22 games he has scored 33 goals (scoring in 19 of those games).

In a forward line that relies heavily on Charlie and H, we need reliable contributors which Owies has shown to be.

Expect this will change in time as Durdin is still young and will improve, but at the moment doesn’t hit the scoreboard as much.

Fantasia and Elijah have shown some good signs and skills, and will get better with more games. As you say competition will be tough but these forwards need to hit the scoreboard as well as apply pressure to stay in the side.
I certainly agree with regards to Owies kicking goals, I just like Durdin's tackling, speed and kicking skills slightly more.
This is why, I kind of want Durdin over Owies because I am hoping that Motlop and Martin provide the goals and I want the role of Owies or Durdin to become more like Miers from Geelong.

Corey Durds has got all the requisite skill and pace to succeed. Needs to work a lot harder on getting into dangerous positions (front and square). Not sure if he leads much as I don't notice much other than the ball being bombed to the two big lugs. Not sure he lays really effective tackles. I think someone said he had seven tackles on Saturday, which is great but when Fog tackles, the opposition know about it.

If Durds can really work hard on tackling with intent, chasing and pressuring and getting to the hot spots the opportunities to score will present. As much as I hate to use Pickett as an example, that's who Durds should be modelling himself on minus the dirtbag acts.

It would be interesting to see whether the non-selection of Pitto is the reason for our drop in clearances.
Or could it be more to do with Cripps and Cerra getting less touches. And an absence of Walsh, Kennedy and Dow from last year's clearance dominant midfield mix?
And there it is

Our run, including finals wasn't reliant on Dow, let alone any other player

Our clearance game is based on a large number of factors

3rd marking target required. Kemp needs time to adjust so I wouldn't just dump him there. TDK up there and pitto in. Unsure. Kennedy just isn't able to fill that job.
I don't subscribe to that.

Often we have better options in F50 but ignore them time and again to bomb it in.

If you look for it on a replay there will be a player 30-40m out. Or the will be a player (mid/wing/hff) running into the F50 and into space from the centre square.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back