Autopsy 2024 Rd 6 Premiership Quarter Blue Blitz hands Giants their first loss

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerning for sure, 1 kick & 0 tackles…..

In fact 0 tackles between him, Elijah & Charlie….. our forwards certainly have areas that can be improved.
17 pressure acts for Fantasia; he is playing a role, if not exactly the one we thought it might be.

Stats are dictated by game-style to an extent. GWS are supremely skilled in the back half; they rarely turn it over, and the ball is rarely in dispute there, which limits our ability to make F50 tackles, for example.

But what we could do was apply pressure to the exit-kick, and make like difficult for them on the wing coming out. We largely failed to do that in the first half, but our front six lifted significantly in that respect after half-time. There's not a lot of glory in it, but McKay and Fantasia were both excellent in this facet of the game, and it gave us a lot of repeat entries.

In amongst all the high fiving and ass slapping a quick shout out to Acres.

He's quickly climbing my ranking of proper hard units, both in his unbelievable gut running and ability to play through discomfort.

He's not right in the head and I'm glad he's ours.

The recruiting of Acres Hollands and Hewett for bugger all has been a massive positive and a credit to our recruiters/list management team

17 pressure acts for Fantasia; he is playing a role, if not exactly the one we thought it might be.
Serious question

How many players can we have justifying their position by playing a “role” defensively?

It seems to be justification for selection by many people. Yes, we need players doing defensive roles but in my opinion defensive pressure should be the base of most roles NOT the reason for selection.

Serious question

How many players can we have justifying their position by playing a “role” defensively?

It seems to be justification for selection by many people. Yes, we need players doing defensive roles but in my opinion defensive pressure should be the base of most roles NOT the reason for selection.
With the key forwards we have? I would say 3-4 "defensive pressure" players, given that it's a non-negotiable in terms of team structures, and we have at least 2 (Curnow and Owies) who simply do not apply it.

Goalsneaks would be nice to have, but we don't have any fit ones to select. Would Motlop walk straight into this side? Absolutely.

But in the meantime, the ethos seems to be that if we apply enough forward pressure, the repeat entries and goals will come. I would say that's working.

Serious question

Fantasia is playing because we don't have any other option. I suspect Cuningham will be the replacement once fit. Playing the three talls comes at a cost for defensive pressure. We only had 9 inside 50 tackles for the game.

Serious question

I think he is what he is...mature age depth. All of Motlop, Martin, Fogarty, Cuningham and Silvagni start ahead of him if available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the playground opposite princes park with the kids this morning and Martin and Cunningham were doing lots of running with Andrew Russell. Would have done at least 8+ laps at fast pace and directional work. No strapping.

Fingers crossed the troops are coming back soon

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's odd given Martin's hammy is allegedly having him on the side-lines for weeks to come?

You don't run fast - or at all - if you have a hammy injury.

What do we make of Fanta? 6 touches, no scores and no tackles. Is he just a total shadow of his former self after injuries?

Prefer Coke Zero no sugar….

Na he’s been asked to play a more defensive forward role but once Motlop and Martin are fit he goes out.

Cost nothing free hit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we'd just gone about 4 goals down in the 3rd, and my mate looked across the aisle to see some supporters munching on something, and he turned and asked me what they were eating.

I glanced and saw they were hoeing into some souvlakis. My mate asks "where do you get those, and I told him instead of turning right into the bar, go straight ahead and you'll see the shop.

Then he says, "well I'm going to get one, might break their scoring run".

As soon as he disappeared, Giants kicked their first point for ages, having been deadly all day in front of the sticks. He returns and starts enjoying his souva.

Mission accomplished.

We'd had some beers before the game, and from the tap, they had all tasted the same, like toilet water. Disgusting. My last visit to the bar, I had scanned the fridge for a can of something and I had spotted some Balter XPAs.

So I said to my mate, "I'm going to get some Balter cans, maybe that will make us start kicking goals".

As I rose, Ollie Hollands took a mark.

I went down the race, ordered the cans, and heard the roar before the video on the screen caught up. As the beers were delivered, and paid for, I started back to my seat, and heard another big roar. As I sat down, I watched the replay, and it was TDK crumbing a great goal.

Mission accomplished.

And the beers were delicious, so we made sure we kept going, or who knows how the game might have turned out?

Im still not convinced. Pitto was great. Tom was great, but im still worried about the balance.
We needed to dominate the stoppage game to win. Is this a sustainable way to win games when playing the three talls? I'm not sure. Need a bigger sample size. It was Pittonets best game but I don't like him playing forward when he's not in the ruck.

He's quickly climbing my ranking of proper hard units, both in his unbelievable gut running and ability to play through discomfort.

He hits the contest so hard.

One play about 3mins from the end of the 3rd was like watching a rugby union game.

High ball kicked out of the backline. Held up in a crazy mauling pack by cotters, hands off to Acres charging through the pack, incredible hand pass to Owies - lovely deft (eyes lowered) pass to TDK - a goal.

Irrepressible stuff.

Acres seems such a chilled unassuming dude off the field - the guys a freaking animal across the white line.

Simple fact is Ollie has had a very poor start to the year.

That is not to hate him...
I reckon most of Ollie's issues are from physical limitations. Mostly lack of strength.

The missed tackles, even the poor handball in the 3rd last night were simply because he's not strong enough.

That will come over time. Has heart and smarts. That can't be taught.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s a total freak at times

With the key forwards we have? I would say 3-4 "defensive pressure" players, given that it's a non-negotiable in terms of team structures, and we have at least 2 (Curnow and Owies) who simply do not apply it.

Goalsneaks would be nice to have, but we don't have any fit ones to select. Would Motlop walk straight into this side? Absolutely.

But in the meantime, the ethos seems to be that if we apply enough forward pressure, the repeat entries and goals will come. I would say that's working.

Doesn’t answer my question.

I reckon most of Ollie's issues are from physical limitations. Mostly lack of strength.

The missed tackles, even the poor handball in the 3rd last night were simply because he's not strong enough.

That will come over time. Has heart and smarts. That can't be taught.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
There’s a 250 gamer in Ollie.

Needs to roll around in protein powder before each game.

He was levels better yesterday - he’s footy smart, an elite runner & very brave - struggles in the contest somewhat.

Stats are dictated by game-style to an extent. GWS are supremely skilled in the back half; they rarely turn it over, and the ball is rarely in dispute there, which limits our ability to make F50 tackles, for example.

But what we could do was apply pressure to the exit-kick, and make like difficult for them on the wing coming out. We largely failed to do that in the first half, but our front six lifted significantly in that respect after half-time. There's not a lot of glory in it, but McKay and Fantasia were both excellent in this facet of the game, and it gave us a lot of repeat entries.
Good points 👍
Referred pressure & effort is also important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 6 Premiership Quarter Blue Blitz hands Giants their first loss

Back