Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite tonight, we're still way too good to miss the 8. We will improve. In the next month potentially Marto, Jesse, Saady, Marchy and Gov all come back. That will propel us big time towards September and, if we can have a decent run with injuries, there's no reason we can't still get inside that top 4 and stay there. Keep the Faith brother.
in voss presser, he said Guv, Martin, Marchy back next week.

Terrible, terrible loss though.

They clearly didn’t like the Kemp matchup for this game.

What are they seeing - poor decisions under pressure, lost against smalls?

Our backline needs foremost, surity & system & the ability to effectively rebound.

We are missing both.

Missing Saad - he give us both.

Missing Gov - he gives us both.

We will get better but these injuries costing us now.
Mitch McGovern, Adam Saad and Zac Williams will all be 30 next year, and have all had soft tissue injuries. I don't think it will get better. I really think we're missing Saad's and McGovern's footy nous at the moment, but I also think it's beholden on others to take the next step.

I haven’t watched replay yet but was there and I am tired of players not going hard when they should, not getting to ball in numbers, not committing to tackles and just cruising along expecting someone to lose to step up

Also, too many players waving to others to get on a man

This has been coming for weeks. We haven’t played close to a 4 quarter game this season

Way to many dumb, lazy and selfish footballers

Serious questions need to be asked as the talent is there. Regardless if personnel, if you don’t put in the effort it doesn’t matter

IMO it looks like too many players overrate themselves

Becoming monotonous this ‘moments’ talk.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree 100%

That, and "small margins" sh1ts me no end

They are just outcomes
What about the bigger picture process
Poor selections
Poor sub
Poor decision making
Little or no variety
Kick out strategy that a 10 year old could work out. Option A...stupid 20m kick that achieves nothing...Option B...Long kick down the Northern side to a contest
Poor gameplan-our contested game played right into their hands. They waited and gang tackled us as we over handballed
We refused to switch play...do they realise the ground has a southern side as well as a northern side????

BUT, if Voss wants to talk "small things", play Binns instead of Fantasia, play Durdin as the sub and we probably win the game (all things equal)

Livid livid livid livid

in voss presser, he said Guv, Martin, Marchy back next week.

Terrible, terrible loss though.
It's good we are getting players back, but we can't expect them to walk in and play at their best straight away.

I would think Martin and Guv come straight in, but surely Marchbank needs a block of games in the VFL to find some sort of touch. He was horrendous in his only game of the year, when he was rushed in after no preseason..

I would be more willing to engage if you weren't so steadfast on an opinion on something you have zero intel on? You seem to be speaking with such certainty on a topic that may not be your strong suit
Certainty? It’s an opinion. Which parts do you disagree with?

Are we:

a) a highly skilled side?
b) a side with good decision makers?
c) a side that’s brilliantly coached?

I don’t think we’re any of the above and it costs us often against the better teams, which is problematic when you aspire to beat the better teams.

Certainty? It’s an opinion. Which parts do you disagree with?

Are we:

a) a highly skilled side?
b) a side with good decision makers?
c) a side that’s brilliantly coached?

I don’t think we’re any of the above and it costs us often against the better teams, which is problematic when you aspire to beat the better teams.
I think we are at a good level in all 3, not neccesarily among the best. What makes a team "brilliantly coached"? Are Craig McRae and Adam Kingsley better coaches than Ross Lyon or Alistair Clarkson? These are vague metrics that don't really point towards success. I wouldn't suggest Collingwood are a highly skilled team, yet they are the reigning premiers. I don't think Brisbane are a team with good decision makers, yet they were a kick off winning the flag last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are at a good level in all 3, not neccesarily among the best. What makes a team "brilliantly coached"? Are Craig McRae and Adam Kingsley better coaches than Ross Lyon or Alistair Clarkson? These are vague metrics that don't really point towards success. I wouldn't suggest Collingwood are a highly skilled team, yet they are the reigning premiers. I don't think Brisbane are a team with good decision makers, yet they were a kick off winning the flag last year
It’s ok to respectfully disagree. I still think we can be successful in spite of our deficiencies, as no team is perfect. The ultimate metric is the scoreboard and we’re clearly falling short at the moment.

I haven’t watched replay yet but was there and I am tired of players not going hard when they should, not getting to ball in numbers, not committing to tackles and just cruising along expecting someone to lose to step up

Also, too many players waving to others to get on a man

This has been coming for weeks. We haven’t played close to a 4 quarter game this season

Way to many dumb, lazy and selfish footballers

Serious questions need to be asked as the talent is there. Regardless if personnel, if you don’t put in the effort it doesn’t matter

IMO it looks like too many players overrate themselves
Are you going to name names?

After quarter time, Pies changed the tempo of the game and we couldn't get it back on our terms

We lacked touch and composure in some crucial moments throughout the last 3 quarters

The lack of touch on an opponent at a stoppage and especially defensive half was concerning.

We really are missing the likes of Gov and Saad for their speed to close down on an opponent, breaking lines, overlap and usage. Perhaps this is an area Austin should focus on, for replacements in time

Most concerning was the type of ball movement, or lack thereof. The narrow lane strategy only works if we have plus numbers, but can hurt you if it's turned over

We need better movement options, taking the ball off the line, subtle changes of directions.

Can't remember too many times where we had the plus numbers on a counter, we just didn't work hard enough to get involved in those chains

It’s ok to respectfully disagree. I still think we can be successful in spite of our deficiencies, as no team is perfect. The ultimate metric is the scoreboard and we’re clearly falling short at the moment.
Absolutely, I didn't mean for my first post to sound quite as patronizing as it potentially came across. Still a long way to go this year, and plenty of things to fix. To be honest, I'd be more worried if we were running on top of the ground at this point of the season

The three teams who have beaten us have had numbers back, gained possession in the backline then ran in numbers to transition to their forward line. It is the template to beating us, as we don't have that foot speed to get back quick enough.
The coaching group need a plan to combat this. Whether it means balancing up numbers or playing a spare 'sweeper' back.

Whatever it is, we need this addressed asap before the season is lost..

It’s generally accepted that last year’s run of good form was largely player-driven (Ed’s dam).

I also think it’s fair to say that this group have drunk an incredible amount of their own bathwater, off the back of getting comfortably beaten in a prelim.

You’d think it would have lit more of a fire, but I am starting to think the smirking after goals at key moments etc is a sign that they think it’s all just going to happen for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Back