Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We are looking at extending Darcy Fogarty early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Last edited:
Their midfield will be insane in a few years if they pick him.... LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel etc then add in Draper or another gun this year....>. WOwee.

Surely they go best KPP though given Darling is surely just depth at this point,
In 2 years time North could have the best midfield in the competition. I think they will be able to add KPP without too many issues.

I think North are rebuilding well as drafting midfielders is less risk, unlike the crows who draft either KPP or small forwards with our top picks and looks likely to be a potential 50% strike rate.

7 years into a rebuild and we have IMO only one drafted midfielder that may come close to the quality of McKercher, Sheezel or Wardlaw.

We should of rebuilt the engine first.

I understand this but it smells a bit like '' you owe me '' - well not really . I'm not a fan of employing someone just because they ''spent half their life here' I mean I see this as our biggest weakness that we cultivate this culture of tenure

My concern is we will pay him a motza to decide if he wants to coach or not. I cant see him take $80k to be someone who moves the cones and encourages players on game day.

If he really wants to coach then good luck but go balls in and do the required courses and find a club willing to take you on
I’m not saying we should hire him. Simply saying he loves it here, loves the club, why wouldn’t he see if there’s an opportunity here?

He should replace Crouch, who we should have traded. We’ve got stacks of mids around that mediocre range. Laird, Crouch, Berry, Dowling, Taylor, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Edwards, Keays. Plus talent that potentially needs a crack to develop in there like Curtin, Rachele and pick 4. We don’t need to hang onto 30 year old mids that regularly get beaten for impact by their direct opponents. We need to develop our own gun rotations, so minutes need to go to the guys that might be part of one. If it results in losing a couple of extra games in 2025, so be it. We’re a long way off competing with Brisbane et al deep in September anyway.
Moved on from Rory Sloane have you?

Matty Crouch now in your sights...

In 2 years time North could have the best midfield in the competition. I think they will be able to add KPP without too many issues.

I think North are rebuilding well as drafting midfielders is less risk, unlike the crows who draft either KPP or small forwards with our top picks and looks likely to be a potential 50% strike rate.

7 years into a rebuild and we have IMO only one drafted midfielder that may come close to the quality of McKercher, Sheezel or Wardlaw.

NO! ....and then more NO!

Adding a KPP is easy is it ? .....how many years, and how many players did we draft / trade as KPF's, when we had Roo, Goodwin and Co in our midfield

It's the reverse, get the longer developing KPP first, like HAW did .....there are many more MIDS in each Draft

NORTH have taken the "build midfield first" approach .....and are now struggling for KPP
SYD has an excellent Midfield, but had no FWD line to capitalise in the GF

Don't forget ALL THE COMPENSATION picks North have received ......I've lost count of all the AFL gifting .....and where are they still ?

Moved on from Rory Sloane have you?

Matty Crouch now in your sights...

For me, Crouch still belongs in the best 22 as our inside mid, however Laird should be playing SANFL.

Surround Crouch with some speed and good ball users and his game will look elite. Laird on the other hand, will ignore the players around him to get his 20 hack kicks a week.

Also, I think we move on from Rory. From the outside, his leadership was not fantastic and seemed to be part of the problem with where the Club is currently.

I’m not saying we should hire him. Simply saying he loves it here, loves the club, why wouldn’t he see if there’s an opportunity here?
As long as Sloane is not using the Club as an interim job, until he decides what his true passion is .....that's my fear with all ex footballers

So it seems as if everyone IS keen on Draper now? I’ve been keen all season but it appeared that others wanted FOS or Lalor?
IMO, any of those 3 will be very good players ....it's very even in those top 5-6 players

I also believe our pick should be a bit more considered with our Midfield mix in mind ....if Curtin is to play Mid, do we have a greater need for the zip of Draper ?

So it seems as if everyone IS keen on Draper now? I’ve been keen all season but it appeared that others wanted FOS or Lalor?
Everyone?
I would of thought a lot have always rated Draper in their top 3 or 4 prospects for us just not at Numero Uno.

Lalor is still top of my shopping list btw.

If Rory wants to give coaching a red hot crack as his next football pathway, I think it’s in his best interest to experience a new environment and playing group

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adding a KPP is easy is it ? .....how many years, and how many players did we draft / trade as KPF's, when we had Roo, Goodwin and Co in our midfield

It's the reverse, get the longer developing KPP first, like HAW did .....there are many more MIDS in each Draft

NORTH have taken the "build midfield first" approach .....and are now struggling for KPP

Don't forget ALL THE COMPENSATION picks North have received ......I've lost count of all the AFL gifting .....and where are they still ?
You mean our premiership midfield?

Geelong have a history of targeting players with injury or off field issues - get them at a bargain (or cheaper) price and the. Back themselves in to fix the issue. Shaun Higgins and Stengle two of the best examples

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Which in itself is amazing, with small towns reputations for drinking & drug use.

Melbourne drafted their midfield then traded in May and Lever and won a flag.
Geelong traded in Jeremy Cameron, Brisbane traded in Daniher and Sydney and West Coast of 15 years ago traded in Kennedy, Barry Hall and Franklin.

All the most successful teams are built around building the engine room through the draft as a priority.

NM have been guilty of not getting the balance right, and using the 3 million charity picks they’ve been given purely on midfield. When you have that many, sure, address all areas of your list, but Adelaide has not used a high pick on the midfield for 10 years and it has left us in this mess we have now.

I've heard North Melbourne are giving Draper alot of attention.

It seems like he could go earlier than pick 4

if they go that way its just a crazy list build with virtually every top 5 player taken in recent years is a small (mid or flanker). surely after seeing Swans and Powers dud forwards and defensive talls teams realise you need a balance of talent all over the ground - admittedly mids are the most important - but unlikely to win big finals without good quality KPP

perhaps they are angling to trade pick 2 to us and seeing what we would give for that...

interesting how it plays out but would rather Draper to Kangas than Weagles. He would likely be home within 5-6 years

Melbourne drafted their midfield then traded in May and Lever and won a flag.
Geelong traded in Jeremy Cameron, Brisbane traded in Daniher and Sydney and West Coast of 15 years ago traded in Kennedy, Barry Hall and Franklin.

All the most successful teams are built around building the engine room through the draft as a priority.

NM have been guilty of not getting the balance right, and using the 3 million charity picks they’ve been given purely on midfield. When you have that many, sure, address all areas of your list, but Adelaide has not used a high pick on the midfield for 10 years and it has left us in this mess we have now.
How are MELB going the last few years .....great midfield, struggling for KPF 's

They've tried Schache, Brown, the "leach" McDonald .....the lack of KPF has cost MELB at least another Flag

Re ADEL ....this was my issue with the Rachele draft choice .....Pick #6 on a small Fwd ? .....do I assume from your comment, you don't consider Rachele and Curtin as future Mids ?

list builds covers BOTH drafting and trading (see Cats, Lions). It doesnt matter if we drafted one. Its how many we brought in (inc trades) and clearly that covers Rankine and Dawson also. Plus quite possibly Curtin, Rachele and this years pick 4.

ps we all know its not 7 years mate...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back