Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 142 84.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t it reported only about a week ago we were out of the perrymsn race (twomey I think, maybe even a couple reporting it) and it was GWS or Hawks and if he did come to SA port but that less likely?

This is a big change in news so really who knows which to believe or how true

I’d be interested to hear updates from those who reported the opposite to what’s currently out there

Update: it was cleary on 3 July and twomey both reporting port lead the race and hawks the other in ‘the mix with GWS
I don't generally believe any of it at this time of year unless the player has publicly come out with the old "leaving it until the end of the year" line. When you hear that, you know they're moving. Anything else is just the manager pumping up the contract with the current club.

Look if we are throwing the money around, i want them to throw some of it at Dan Curtin to get him to extend. Show him like Rachele and Soligo we mean business and see him as a cornerstone of our future. I can see why his team may hold off but make it big and tempting. We are going to regret it big time if he leaves in a year or two's time.

Sounds like we're desperate

We should be. We need upgrades and players aren’t moving - only 3 RFA’s left in the entire league - and majority of free agents are 30 plus. Clubs are signing up their talent at record rates, CBA increase undoubtedly helping

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn’t it reported only about a week ago we were out of the perrymsn race (twomey I think, maybe even a couple reporting it) and it was GWS or Hawks and if he did come to SA port but that less likely?

This is a big change in news so really who knows which to believe or how true

I’d be interested to hear updates from those who reported the opposite to what’s currently out there

Update: it was cleary on 3 July and twomey both reporting port lead the race and hawks the other in ‘the mix with GWS

Remember Rankine was staying at GC and then it was Essendon had a monster contract on the table - and a week or two after we were linked heavily
I think the later we are linked the more likely it is to be true.

I kind of agree with Scorpus in that we should be targeting needs more. If we want to get rid of Murphy and mchenry and actually have some talent as a small forward, we should be targeting a genuine small forward on decent coin. It's very much an area of need. Likewise ruck.

There are just hardly any players available. Owies from Carlton perhaps?
No ruckman coming out of contract that are of interest outside English

He would likely be pushing Pedlar or Cook out of that team. The thing is though that teams get injuries, you need good depth to cover those injuries. So if we bring in Perryman and it is pushing one of the above into a depth position then that is only making us stronger. We have seen this year that we have struggled with our depth when we have been hit with injuries.

We also need more experience in our side, we still have so many kids and we are about to lose more experience with Tex and Smith just about done. Perryman will be 26 next year so he fits into that age bracket we are currently lacking.

Goes straight past Nank

Nank stays in for me. He would be pushing in front of Smith, Bond, Milera, Hamill though.
Jones also.

I'd like to see Nank push up on to the other wing (rotating with Dowling).

He'd be about our 12th best player.

He replaces our 22nd best.

We're improved.

I think people are overthinking this. We're miles off worrying about salary cap space or are we actually improving - of course we are

I think you are overrating Perryman. He's a role player in positions we're not desperate for and have decent youth coming through.

I mean as a club we're passing on players like Elijah Hollands (or just not making any offer at all) which would have cost us a junk pick and a much lower salary, then handing over $850k for Perryman? Madness

What are you having to pay an elite player to move to SA? $1.3m?

And what is the cost in draft capital? Two picks?

And even then - who? We're talked about for just about everyone but they have no interest in moving to Adelaide.
Personally if the war chest is as big as many say I would gladly pick up Clarry Oliver’s contract of 1.3m if it comes with a pick and hit the draft extra hard. Melbourne keep denying a Bowes type deal is on the cards but some journo’s keep saying there is smoke.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are overrating Perryman. He's a role player in positions we're not desperate for and have decent youth coming through.

I mean as a club we're passing on players like Elijah Hollands (or just not making any offer at all) which would have cost us a junk pick and a much lower salary, then handing over $850k for Perryman? Madness
Hey he did get 2 Brownlow votes in 2 games round 1 and round 3 2020...

Personally if the war chest is as big as many say I would gladly pick up Clarry Oliver’s contract of 1.3m if it comes with a pick and hit the draft extra hard. Melbourne keep denying a Bowes type deal is not on the cards but some journo’s keep saying there is smoke.
To think Oliver went from last trade period where Damien Barrett was saying he was worth a top 3 pick + 2 other firsts, to now a Bowes like deal in less than 8 months.

That has to be the most rapid devaluing of a players trade currency in the history of the game. Dropping a 1st rounder every 2 months.

To think Oliver went from last trade period where Damien Barrett was saying he was worth a top 3 pick + 2 other firsts, to now a Bowes like deal in less than 8 months.

That has to be the most rapid devaluing of a players trade currency in the history of the game. Dropping a 1st rounder every 2 months.
If Oliver didn't cost us high draft picks, and Melbourne took a portion of his contract..

I'd consider it.

AFIAC he is a list changer and will be keeping an ear on Tom Morris , he seems to get the oil if the Oliver camp wants to fly a kite. He also talked up the Burgess / Oliver relationship last time.

Personally if the war chest is as big as many say I would gladly pick up Clarry Oliver’s contract of 1.3m if it comes with a pick and hit the draft extra hard. Melbourne keep denying a Bowes type deal is not on the cards but some journo’s keep saying there is smoke.
That is a gamble worth taking, in our current posn

You still need the player to choose to come here AND these salary cap trades almost never happen. The chance of another Bowes happening AND that player choosing SA is a million to one.
The AFL has publicly softened their stance on these types of deals so I think we'll see more of it going forward. Getting a pick in the top 10 (like the Bowes deal) is the unlikely part, but was something the Suns could afford given their plethora of picks and academy concessions.

Caleb Daniel could be an option given the WBD salary cap issues, so something like our pick 40 for Daniel's contract and say pick 20-25 (via other trades as they don't currently have a R1). That might get us in front of a Welsh bid and another near first round pick (maybe Dodson who we have been linked to).

I'd take that outcome anyday over an average Perryman on huge dollars and years.

If Oliver didn't cost us high draft picks, and Melbourne took a portion of his contract..

I'd consider it.
Other way around we don’t want Melbourne to pay any cash, we pay the 1.3 from our excess cash and Melbourne get a salary dump and send a pick with Oliver. So the net result is an extra draft pick for us and Oliver.Exactly how Geelong orchestrated the deal for Jack Bowes with Gold Coast.

How would I know?, me being risk averse he'd want to come in a Bowes type deal to get me too excited.
Cheers

I read your Perryman posts and you seemed to want to wait for a big mid fish

I thought you might have some idea who that might be

Petty has had a pretty big fall in value too. Melbourne could have cleaned up last year if they traded both.

Other way around we don’t want Melbourne to pay any cash, we pay the 1.3 from our excess cash and Melbourne get a salary dump and send a pick with Oliver. So the net result is an extra draft pick for us and Oliver.Exactly how Geelong orchestrated the deal for Jack Bowes with Gold Coast.
Do Melbourne even have a pick we would want?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back