Review 2024 Season Review - The Goodest, Baddest and Ugliest from the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Tobie Travaglia would be almost certainly there. because he's not really proven as a midfielder...Yet...but I see a lot of Will Day in him who took time to transition into a midfielder.

Finn O'Sullivan - doubtful
Sam Lalor - probably
Sid Draper - probably

Depends a lot where recruiters see Josh Smillie and Jagga Smith.
Surely we want a midfielder first and foremost? Don't want to speculate on someone at this pick? (I mean, I know they are all speculation at this age, but I'd rather they go for a known big bodied mid).

Any predictions for the B&F?

I'm going with

1. Dawson
2. Keays
3. Soligo
4. Laird
5. Rankine
6. Fogarty
7. Hinge
8. Murphy
9. Sholl
10. Michalanney
For me:

Keays higher
Fog higher
Murphy lower

I'm going with

1. Dawson
2. Keays
3. Soligo
4. Laird
5. Rankine
6. Fogarty
7. Hinge
8. Murphy
9. Sholl
10. Michalanney
1. Keays
2. Dawson (reckon Daws has had a quieter year this year)
3. Soligo

For me:

Keays higher
Fog higher
Murphy lower

You reckon Keays will win it?

I looked back at the coaches votes and Dawson has polled in easily the most games and at a higher average, I reckon he will win comfortably

Keays picked up in the back half but was nowhere in the earlier half of the season

You reckon Keays will win it?

I looked back at the coaches votes and Dawson has polled in easily the most games and at a higher average, I reckon he will win comfortably
Probably recency bias by me

Surely we want a midfielder first and foremost? Don't want to speculate on someone at this pick? (I mean, I know they are all speculation at this age, but I'd rather they go for a known big bodied mid).
The only big bodied mids in that kind of discussion would be Sam Lalor, Josh Smillie, Harvey Langford and maybe Bo Allan.

One absolute positive I can find and I’m sure others have said it as well is Riley Ththorpe coming back from injury.

Played 7 games since returning and kicked 15 goals at an average of 2.1 a game.

vs ST.Kilda - 2 goals
vs Essendon - 2 goals
vs Hawthorn - 2 goals
vs Geelong - 3 goals
vs Western Bulldogs - 2 goals
vs Port - 1 goal
vs Sydney - 3 goals

Keep this average up next season and he’s on track for a 50+ goal season. Going to be huge next season, fingers crossed he has an injury free interrupted pre-season/season
Would kick more if he improves his accuracy... Misses too much

Tobie Travaglia would be almost certainly there. because he's not really proven as a midfielder...Yet...but I see a lot of Will Day in him who took time to transition into a midfielder.

Finn O'Sullivan - doubtful
Sam Lalor - probably
Sid Draper - probably

Depends a lot where recruiters see Josh Smillie and Jagga Smith.
Would you risk trading our future first to GCS for pick 11(?) if Travaglia was available or by some miracle Lalor slid that far?

Assuming we pick either Draper/FOS/Smillie with 4.

Its glaringly apparent we need speed. Watching Port yesterday, and watching the best teams in the comp at the moment, we have recruited well in Key Positions (and there's an argument there of whether we're too tall and slow at both ends of the ground), but outside of that we have recruited for what seems to be endurance and flexibility in covering positions.

We have some players that are quick but not THAT quick.

Rachele, Pedlar, McHenry, Jones, Schoenberg..

We seems to have recruited a lot of FWD/MIDS or vice versa, but really the only person who's excelling with those attributes is Rankine.

Cook, Nankervis, Murphy, Curtin, Laird, Berry, Crouch, Soligo, Michalanney, Taylor, Milera, Dowling, Sholl, Bond....

You can't say any of these are linebreaking...

Hamill and Hinge are fairly quick, and before his injury Hamill looked decent but still needs to clean up his disposal, and Hinge has been fairly solid but also has games where he disappears...

(I think Taylor could definitely be a Murphy replacement going forward, he has a terrific presence up forward and is more than serviceable in the midfield)

We're SO SO slow in our F50.

My major concern is that our recruiting department are stuck in the past, and haven't recruited for the modern game like other clubs, which is heavily reliant on transitional speed.

For me it's Draper or Lalor in the draft or we're going to end up with more hybrid players than we know what to do with..

I'm going with

1. Dawson
2. Keays
3. Soligo
4. Laird
5. Rankine
6. Fogarty
7. Hinge
8. Murphy
9. Sholl
10. Michalanney
Anyone but Laird, I am worried he will be right up there as he has played every game this year and will consistently be getting votes.

If Laird gets his fourth gold jacket, he will be clear on top. More than Roo, McLeod and Goodwin... Would be an embarrassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This season was destined to a failure as soon as that leadership group was announced, too many borderline best 22 players in there that set a tone for mediocrity.

The Nicks extension was just baffling as it involved all risk and no reward.

injuries to key players didnt help, but selection was often more to blame.

Just a completely wasted season, learnt very little due to the likes of Murphy, Ned, Jones, Smith and Laird playing far too much at the expense of others. If Nicks was given the job security he should have utilised that once our season was cooked, instead he kept coaching like his coaching life depended on it, I found that very disappointing, especially now when he is having a crack at the likes of Rachele for not being team first, feels he put his career ahead of what is best for the club long term.

Good -
  • The continued improvement of our young kids. Soligo, Max, Worrell, Rankine, Nank, Rachele, Dowling, Taylor all very good this year.
  • Thilthorpe looked great when he finally came back into the side. He will take his game to another level next year if he can stay fit. Will be massive for us next year.
  • Rankine looks like that elite A grade mid we have been craving for years.
  • Fog had a solid year and looks ready to take the number 1 spot next year. He still has some quiet games, but has improved his output and involvement in games.
  • Keays and Sholl both had really good years and have out performed what most expected from them.
  • Bond looked solid when he came into the side.

Bad
  • The form our our senior players - Tex, Smith, Laird have all fallen off a cliff, the end has come quickly and we now need to transition these guys out of the team quickly.
  • Luke Pedlar's year, I had so much hope for him taking that next step and he has not fired a shot in 2024.
  • Our run with injuries this year has not been great.
  • Our lack of depth, which has been exposed with our injuries.
  • Our severe lack of ruck depth. Still no developing ruck. We now need to bring in a new main ruck, a new back up and a new developing ruck.
  • The handling of Curtin. Nicks couldn't have treated this kid worse if he tried. If he isn't ready then leave him in the SANFL. If he is ready then he should be in the team. The fact that he was sub or subbed out on so many occasions is terrible for his development and his confidence.
  • The handling of Rachele's public axing and the way the club threw him under the bus. This all could have been managed in house and didn't need to be played out in the media
Ugly
  • Nicks getting extended for 2 more years
  • Murphy continuing to get selected
  • Laird publicly throwing his team mate under the bus
  • Our game style for the first 4 weeks of the season
  • Going into the draft with pick 4 and the same recruitment team

Ugly

There is only 1 ugly. This is the ugly tree. Every other ugly is merely a branch of the ugly tree.

The ugly tree is resigning nicks for 2 more years

Despite chorus of supporters not convinced by “almost making finals” as some sort of achievement.

“Players seem to like him” is not a kpi to base a decision around, and sounds like it’s not true anyway.

If he hadn’t been resigned, would he have the job still?

Or would we be casting our net far and wide like West Coast for Cox, Buckley, Dew, anyone who would give us some hope. But instead it’s going to be more of the same expecting better results.

I sincerely hope there was this rumoured win trigger that he could not have met and we can send him on his way.

It will be interesting to see if West Coast has much luck. There doesn’t appear to be a heap of people interested in coaching them. They are arguably the best resources club in the league and there doesn’t appear to be much of a line up!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 Season Review - The Goodest, Baddest and Ugliest from the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back