Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nail ins ? You two have been around a while 😜

Snap
Wrong thread I know but responding to an OP.

My first game was when they had the diamond instead of the square. Changed to a square in the mid 1970's I think.

19th and 20th man on the bench as well in those days. If you were dragged then that was it for the rest of the game

Screw in sprigs which the umps did check before you went out - and they also ran their hands across the tops of your fingers to make sure you didn't have long finger nails so as to try prevent damage to eyes from accidental pokes.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/...OMWFahJoeRK7f-Ijjw_aem_WsXt_JWw781L7RAbD8yTnQ

Based on this footage, he wouldn't be a 4th rounder... It's funny how most of us have seen this from Laird for years, and it's only now being looked at by the media since he roasted Rash. Personally, I love seeing this stuff and can't wait for us to "back the boys in" and drink our own bath water again.

This is great footage. Maybe if we were a Victorian club we'd actually benefit from some meaningful media scrutiny.

This is the frustrating thing about our fan base. We sometimes suggest trading players when we feel they are at their peak and where can get maximum return and we can see that they won't be a part of our next premiership. This would accelerate our progress towards a premiership as we would get picks or players towards building that premiership side.

People get so offended by this and won't even consider it. Then when it actually happens and they go downhill we've lost the opportunity to get good value and have gained nothing by hanging on. Jenkins, Lynch and Laird are recent examples of this.

I got yelled down a few years ago, being one of the first to suggest trading Doedee and then mentioning Keane. People are to invested in some players and don’t see the overall scheme of things.
Keane needs to get up a top 25 pick even if it means trading a third rounder. We have a lot of talls and he can be replaced. It’s about improving our list every year and we have no pacey players at all besides Rankine. We need midfielders and small forwards, we need to look to get value out of Berry, Himmelberg, Jones and McHenry or anyone else that is average and not likely to improve. Or our rebuild will be like Carlton’s and last 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2024 has clearly shown Nicks is not the man for the job - he rebuilt a fractured group through his positive feel good lovefest and that’s great but now he has demonstrated through ridiculous selection choices absurd match day decisions [Borlase forward on Saturday night] the non subable Murphy etc. etc. he is not going to improve the AFC.

Time to admit mistakes were made and find someone who is an AFL coach not a student counsellor.
He swapped Borlase and TT. I've got no problems with him trying SOMETHING (ala Blight and Ellen) better than doing nothing. It's the other stuff he buggers up that I don't like (like not tagging the best opposition player, or at least have a plan in place to minimise their damage!)

That's fine, but Nicks is signed.

Their opinion is he improved year on year until this year, when we took a step back.

I'm sure they're also saying that improvement isn't linear, and this should have been expected.

Next year he gets sacked, unless we make the eight.

In the meantime, we HAVE to improve the other

Replacing the assistants and leaving Nicks and Kelly in place is rather like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titantic.
Nicks has two years left so he won't be going. So start by getting a decent head of footy clearly Kelly isn't the man and get new assistant coaches. No one thought Hardwick was a good coach till they changed personnel around him

I got yelled down a few years ago, being one of the first to suggest trading Doedee and then mentioning Keane. People are to invested in some players and don’t see the overall scheme of things.
Keane needs to get up a top 25 pick even if it means trading a third rounder. We have a lot of talls and he can be replaced. It’s about improving our list every year and we have no pacey players at all besides Rankine. We need midfielders and small forwards, we need to look to get value out of Berry, Himmelberg, Jones and McHenry or anyone else that is average and not likely to improve. Or our rebuild will be like Carlton’s and last 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A lot of tall defenders?

Besides Murray, Butts, Worrell and Keane not much else?

Borlase at the very best is SANFLAFL depth depth and Worrell is more a 3rd tall interceptor than a genuine KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks has two years left so he won't be going. So start by getting a decent head of footy clearly Kelly isn't the man and get new assistant coaches. No one thought Hardwick was a good coach till they changed personnel around him
I disagree with the Hardwick equivalence

I agree new HoF

You can contract Blight, Malthouse and Sheedy but if you leave Nicks in charge we will still struggle

Wrong thread I know but responding to an OP.

My first game was when they had the diamond instead of the square. Changed to a square in the mid 1970's I think.

19th and 20th man on the bench as well in those days. If you were dragged then that was it for the rest of the game

Screw in sprigs which the umps did check before you went out - and they also ran their hands across the tops of your fingers to make sure you didn't have long finger nails so as to try prevent damage to eyes from accidental pokes.
Long fingernails and steel sprigs....aah the good old days. When men were men and boots were black.

I am writing this choking on my words a bit. We should head hunt some of Ports management team and fire some of ours. We like to make fun of Port, but they are around the mark every September.
Chris Davies has applied for the role @ Richmond replacing Gale but missed out and apparently has now applied for the Collingwood job… just what I have heard think he is keen to get back to Victoria

Chris Davies has applied for the role @ Richmond replacing Gale but missed out and apparently has now applied for the Collingwood job… just what I have heard think he is keen to get back to Victoria

Port fans would be very happy to hear he's thinking of leaving

I agree new HoF

You can contract Blight, Malthouse and Sheedy but if you leave Nicks in charge we will still struggle
I just can't see them getting rid of Nicks with two years left. Plus do we want Riccuito having imput on another Coach

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/...OMWFahJoeRK7f-Ijjw_aem_WsXt_JWw781L7RAbD8yTnQ

Based on this footage, he wouldn't be a 4th rounder... It's funny how most of us have seen this from Laird for years, and it's only now being looked at by the media since he roasted Rash. Personally, I love seeing this stuff and can't wait for us to "back the boys in" and drink our own bath water again.
So what would Rach be thinking now?

There’s no chance he’s got a good relationship with Laird and I dare say the leaders of the club who threw him under the bus

Laird is playing a lot worse than Crouch did when he was dropped to SANFL for a prolonged period of time. Double standards.

Yes, It's wasting time replacing assistants when it's clearly evident the senior coach is incompetent.

It's not fair on the new assistants either.

Good organisations fix the key problems, not skirt around them pretending nothing to see here.

Agree.

Why would you want to join Nicks' coaching team next year?

You know there's a fair chance he won't be around long, new coaches like to bring their own people, tremendous uncertainty.

I think we forget how incredibly fractured things were in 2019.
Most of the players involved in that left as Nicks joined. There were more fractures in admin than the playing group. Nicks' role in culture change is drastically overstated imo... although the display of "culture" in the last week or so suggests that any cultural change instigated by the coach has been largely negative.

I agree new HoF

The whole "no one though that Hardwick was good" is nonsense anyway. He made the finals twice and was a +.500 coach in his 4th, 5th and 6th years and 1 draw away from being .500 in his 3rd year.

People keep comparing Nicks to him because both had a year where they went backwards, but they ignore the success Hardwick did have prior to that which Nicks has never shown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back