Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we're not getting anybody are we?

I feel for Reid. Money is good but you also have to convince people to move to Adelaide and play under loser coach Matthew Nicks. You would need a high charisma stat and Jimmy Stuart levels of chalm to pull that off.
If as player you were looking to change clubs either to head home or for more money, you would also need to be convinced you are playing for a decent coach.

If you don't think the coach is competent, it would put you off making the move.

It's going to be difficult for us to attract any players who are not coming home as they wouldn't like the thought of being coached by Nicks & Co.

If as player you were looking to change clubs either to head home or for more money, you would also need to be convinced you are playing for a decent coach.

If you don't think the coach is competent, it would put you off making the move.

It's going to be difficult for us to attract any players who are not coming home as they wouldn't like the thought of being coached by Nicks & Co.
It could also cost us our own players. I'm surprised none of our younger guys have said "**** this I'm out". Feels inevitable.

Fan opinions aren't necessarily the same as those actually held in the footy industry.

Fan opinions aren't necessarily the same as those actually held in the footy industry.
There would be a certain percentage of players who would take the coin

There are also those who know they are on the outer at one club but they then become the above

And there would be players who look at opportunity for success and we currently dont have that

The lack of staff and players willing to come here shows how the footy industry rates us.

The lack of staff and players willing to come here shows how the footy industry rates us.
Except that it's no different to what it always has been - regardless of our success.

Adelaide has always struggled to attract established players who don't have a pre-existing link to SA. We've managed to attract fringe players, and SA guns, but we've never landed a non-SA gun in the club's 34 years.

I haven't been inspired by anything our coaches have said or done since Phil Walsh used to bang on about elite standards.

Also agree with Vader. Adelaide is a problem. It might also be our strength if we drafted from interstate and traded the best SA kids home.

Except that it's no different to what it always has been - regardless of our success.

Adelaide has always struggled to attract established players who don't have a pre-existing link to SA. We've managed to attract fringe players, and SA guns, but we've never landed a non-SA gun in the club's 34 years.

We've had much better coaching panels though including people from outside SA

trying to think of the biggest player we've traded in with previous no SA links beforehand

Seedsman ?
Jason McCartney ?

I initially thought of Peter Caven but just read that Robert Shaw coached him in U/17s & U/19s so that's the pull that got him to Adelaide

Tom Lynch and Josh Jenkins were on rookie lists at other clubs so may as well put them in 'drafted' category

There really isn't much

*edit Lynch wasn't on a rookie list but he played so few games in his first seasons that he may as well have been

We've had much better coaching panels though including people from outside SA
Maybe... but that's not the point being discussed.

To recap:
Kane said that players are less inclined to go to a club with a lowly rated coach.
Mostyn replied that how coaches are perceived within the industry is not necessarily the same as how they are rated on BF.
Jackster pointed out Adelaide's problems with getting players to come over to us.
I pointed out that we've always had this problem, so there is zero correlation with the current coaching group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could also cost us our own players. I'm surprised none of our younger guys have said "**** this I'm out". Feels inevitable.
There are rumours a few are looking elsewhere for opportunities...

trying to think of the biggest player we've traded in with previous no SA links beforehand

Seedsman ?
Jason McCartney ?

I initially thought of Peter Caven but just read that Robert Shaw coached him in U/17s & U/19s so that's the pull that got him to Adelaide

Tom Lynch and Josh Jenkins were on rookie lists at other clubs so may as well put them in 'drafted' category

There really isn't much

*edit Lynch wasn't on a rookie list but he played so few games in his first seasons that he may as well have been
I had Lynch & Jenkins firmly in the "fringe player" category. I'd put Keays in the same group. All became core players after moving to Adelaide.

Seedsman was a fringe player at Collingwood, even if he did win the BOG medal in the ANZAC Day clash with Essendon that year. McCartney may be a rare exception.

Seedsman ?
Jason McCartney ?

There really isn't much

Podsiadly
Tambling
Scott Stevens
Burns
Carey
Massie

That's the only ones I can see since 2000. Carey had very loose SA ties as I recall it but could be wrong

Podsiadly
Tambling
Scott Stevens
Burns
Carey
Massie

That's the only ones I can see since 2000. Carey had very loose SA ties as I recall it but could be wrong
Carey played SoO for SA, so the ties weren't all that loose.

Podsiadly & Massie were fringe players.

Tambling & Burns weren't though.

Maybe... but that's not the point being discussed.

To recap:
Kane said that players are less inclined to go to a club with a lowly rated coach.
Mostyn replied that how coaches are perceived within the industry is not necessarily the same as how they are rated on BF.
Jackster pointed out Adelaide's problems with getting players to come over to us.
I pointed out that we've always had this problem, so there is zero correlation with the current coaching group.

?

I also think that if we've had a long history of failing to attract quality to our club, then it's on us to be elite in development

Not just developing players, but developing coaches, recruiters and admin. Create a system that will take the resources of South Australia and extract the most out of that, and create quality within our system so that we can promote within - because we're not going to get anyone else

If we've spent 30 years knowing we can't get anyone, we've completely failed to react to that reality and do something different (or at least, do something different and do a good job of it)

I also think that if we've had a long history of failing to attract quality to our club, then it's on us to be elite in development

Not just developing players, but developing coaches, recruiters and admin. Create a system that will take the resources of South Australia and extract the most out of that, and create quality within our system so that we can promote within - because we're not going to get anyone else

If we've spent 30 years knowing we can't get anyone, we've completely failed to react to that reality and do something different (or at least, do something different and do a good job of it)
If you look through the football industry and coaches/admin who were born in SA, there's probably a decent number across the league.

Part of the problem seems we don't identify the good ones early, turn off guys so much when they do come (eg Mattner, Francou) or won't consider them because they're not "in" with the boys club here.

A guy like Paul Thomas we know, both as a player and a coach. He's having a lot of success at Centrals now as a head coach, should he be one we're in the ear of for example. We took a shot on Godden, I didn't have a problem with that initially, the issue was we decided 2 years in he wasn't cut out for it, let him go, then for some reason re-hired him and put him in charge of developing our entire non-AFL playing squad.

Port Adelaide haven't had this problem. I think the problem is more with us, then as a state.

Have Port been better than us in this space?

If they have its not Adelaide its the AFC
Port got Michael Voss coming off the Brisbane senior gig, Alan Richardson after stints with Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton, Jarrod Schofield from the WAFL

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back