Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just developing players, but developing coaches, recruiters and admin. Create a system that will take the resources of South Australia and extract the most out of that, and create quality within our system
Hmm I wonder if anyone has recently become available who could kickstart us in the right direction

Have Port been better than us in this space?

If they have its not Adelaide its the AFC

No we havent been better. Voss was coming off a tv show. Walsh had worked with us previously. Its only really Richardson.

Crows have had probably more interstate assistant coaches than we have over the last decade

We've had much better coaching panels though including people from outside SA

Oh, agree with that.

I just think the discourse of "Nicks is garbage and every player will reject coming here because of him" is fan sentiment, and not consistent with what the footy industry seems to think.

I think he's considered a player friendly coach, if anything - if he was a true negative, you would hear the view repeated by media mouthpieces.

We've never gotten top level Victorian players to choose SA. Coaches have to be grown up about it, because options are fewer.

I also think that if we've had a long history of failing to attract quality to our club, then it's on us to be elite in development

Not just developing players, but developing coaches, recruiters and admin. Create a system that will take the resources of South Australia and extract the most out of that, and create quality within our system so that we can promote within - because we're not going to get anyone else

If we've spent 30 years knowing we can't get anyone, we've completely failed to react to that reality and do something different (or at least, do something different and do a good job of it)

Agreed.

We've never responded to the challenge of being able to get folks here by being more ruthless at making our home grown talent the best it can be.

If you look through the football industry and coaches/admin who were born in SA, there's probably a decent number across the league.

Part of the problem seems we don't identify the good ones early, turn off guys so much when they do come (eg Mattner, Francou) or won't consider them because they're not "in" with the boys club here.

A guy like Paul Thomas we know, both as a player and a coach. He's having a lot of success at Centrals now as a head coach, should he be one we're in the ear of for example. We took a shot on Godden, I didn't have a problem with that initially, the issue was we decided 2 years in he wasn't cut out for it, let him go, then for some reason re-hired him and put him in charge of developing our entire non-AFL playing squad.
Godden has won best Development Coach at the coaches awards for the last two years.

Port got Michael Voss coming off the Brisbane senior gig, Alan Richardson after stints with Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton, Jarrod Schofield from the WAFL
Coaches shouldn't the issue - and it's unforgivable we've gone into this year with the coaching group we have.

Players are the issue, and both clubs have struggled. Port have been more proactive, but the quality doesn't seem higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we havent been better. Voss was coming off a tv show. Walsh had worked with us previously. Its only really Richardson.

Crows have had probably more interstate assistant coaches than we have over the last decade

Didn't you have Voss, Montgomery & Schofield when you won the minor premiership a few years ago?

Fair group

Agreed.

We've never responded to the challenge of being able to get folks here by being more ruthless at making our home grown talent the best it can be.

I think this is partly not the Adelaide Crows fault too. It's up to the development pathways to make SA draftees as strong as possible, and then the SANFL to help us out where they can

I think this is partly not the Adelaide Crows fault too. It's up to the development pathways to make SA draftees as strong as possible, and then the SANFL to help us out where they can
Is Teague the only assistant coach we've had go on to be a senior coach at another club?

Port have had a few, including Clarkson, Bailey, Walsh, Richardson and Nicks.

And about 40km from each other - I hope
Closest you got is both towns are in the GWV Rebels zone, let's just say you best make sure your EV has at least a 1/3 charge or you'll be stranded and need a tow.

Port got Michael Voss coming off the Brisbane senior gig, Alan Richardson after stints with Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton, Jarrod Schofield from the WAFL
Voss had blown up his reputation at Brisbane, Richardson wasn't anything special, at least not any better than some of the interstate coaches that have come to Adelaide like Teague or Milburn. Schofield already had ties to Port as a player. I don't think Port are much more of a destination for talented coaches than Adelaide. Maybe their record is a touch better than us but they're still the same league of teams drinking lukewarm backwash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back