Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about this, and I reckon it's cos of the Tippett Sanctions.

Had we drafted 17 yr olds in 2013/2014, we would have had 4 more players in that 28-29 year old age range right about now. We have a real gap there currently.

It's been 11/12 years and still hurting us. FFS.

The likelihood that a late first and/or late second would still be on the list a decade + later is pretty slim. Maybe the pick 8ish from year 2 penalties would still be around. But the likelihood we hit 4 players that play 10-12 years would be a long shot. Even taking into account the very late first and whatever other junk we lost from the denied trade itself.

The likelihood that a late first and/or late second would still be on the list a decade + later is pretty slim. Maybe the pick 8ish from year 2 penalties would still be around. But the likelihood we hit 4 players that play 10-12 years would be a long shot. Even taking into account the very late first and whatever other junk we lost from the denied trade itself.
We could've picked Cripps and Merrett but more likely we pick Ben Lennon and Trent Dumont.

Also it's kind of worth noting that Tom Morris listed a few contracted players to keep an eye on come trade time and amongst the names were Caleb Daniel, Lukocius, LDU and Petty.

Mostly meaningless speculation you'd wager but the more often some of the names get thrown around the less outlandish it seems for some of them.

Suspect that's a hindsight 'woe is me' story. Can't recall anything on it at the time (though why would there be, obviously we weren't in range for him).
What do you mean. Here is the 2013 ladder

Cripps was picked at pick 13 in that draft so we absolutely were in the hitting zone for him

What do you mean. Here is the 2013 ladder

Cripps was picked at pick 13 in that draft so we absolutely were in the hitting zone for him
We weren't in the range for him after our picks got taken away. Which would explain less conjecture about him.

We weren't in the range for him after our picks got taken away. Which would explain less conjecture about him.
Absolutely, but the whole point of this discussion is how we have missed the leadership of players we were not allowed to take in that and the next draft - Paddy Cripps was one we were very keen on at the time and the rug got pulled

Absolutely, but the whole point of this discussion is how we have missed the leadership of players we were not allowed to take in that and the next draft - Paddy Cripps was one we were very keen on at the time and the rug got pulled
Pretty sure Phil Bunn was our WA recruiter back then, had a pretty good strike rate too Charlie Cameron and McGovern both made the grade with speculative picks.

We lost our 2013 picks in 2012, so at no point were we going to be able to take him (my recollection is he shot up and became a top draft pick during the season). I was merely stating I don't remember any conjecture about us picking him at the time - but we were never a chance to, so why would there have been?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treders on FiveAA saying he heard a rumour at the 04 premiership reunion that Montgomerys family still lives here and might be heading to the Crows next year.

Cmon Tredders, you heard it on SEN a week ago and your trying to make the story your own.

He often runs with a story or rumour that SEN has had but pretends it was his.

Last edited:
Treders on FiveAA saying he heard a rumour at the 04 premiership reunion that Montgomerys family still lives here might be heading to the Crows next year.

Cmon Tredders, you heard it on SEN a week ago and your trying to make the story your own.

Yeah but Tredders doesn't believe in vaccines. So there's that.

Treders on FiveAA saying he heard a rumour at the 04 premiership reunion that Montgomerys family still lives here and might be heading to the Crows next year.

That's unfair

It's well known that Tredders does his own research

What about 2? He gets to choose right, so he should be able to choose 2026 as being his last year. Given his finish date has nothing to do with performance or ability to perform, surely 2027 isn’t off the table.

That’s just a logical fallacy though

FWIW, unless we’re seeing real issues with fitness in training, I’m giving him next year if he wants it

He’s 1 year out from AA and 76 goals. I’m not knee jerking him into retirement unless there’s more info to know

I was thinking about this, and I reckon it's cos of the Tippett Sanctions.

Had we drafted 17 yr olds in 2013/2014, we would have had 4 more players in that 28-29 year old age range right about now. We have a real gap there currently.

It's been 11/12 years and still hurting us. FFS.

Those drafts sucked. More likely than not those 4 players are long gone

Phil Bunn has no strike rate. He’s not a decision maker
Yeah that's why Hamish mentioned they were his picks, just like he mentioned Luke Nankervis was now retired recruiter Steve McCrystal's parting gift, But hey you do you.

Last edited:

Wouldn’t he just ask him?
Weren’t they there together?

Wouldn’t he just ask him?
Weren’t they there together?
Sounds like Tredders is spruiking a job for his mate. Why are Port not trying to get him back?

Btw, I'm not against considering Monty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back