Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as it has nothing to do with our 1st draft pick. An inform and focussed Oliver is a standout. A distracted and not in form Oliver might be the player we get so we have to quarantine that pick 4 or 5 we get this year as there is too much young midfield talent there to miss out on.

Melbourne will be looking to trade him now I think and we will get him cheaper than last year. It will still likely cost us two first rounders though. But Melbourne will pay a portion of his contract to make it worth it. For a prime 27yo midfielder I think its worth it.

Melbourne currently have pick 9, we could swap firsts and still get Draper, 5 for 9 and Oliver and his contract

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can't see Draper lasting to pick 9 in the open draft.
Would need to either fall off performance wise ot dread the thought get a pretty debilitaing injury.

No way we’re paying a first and taking Oliver’s contract. It’s one or the other and I’d suggest we take his contract but he’s either free or we get a pick with him.
I didn't say pay a first, I said downgrade our first four spots.

But I do agree that we shouldn't, especially if it means we miss the gun midfielder draftee.

This is tough one.
  • Known/suspected drug issues
  • Form has been a long way off this season. More than i think an interrupted preseason can account for.
  • He's on a huge contact with a lot of years remaining.
  • Does his age (27) align with our list demographic and when we expect to be competing.
His best has been top 3 AFL midfielder but how confident are we that he can return to that and how much draft/trade capital do we offer up?

Not for me, think he’s almost done. The trajectory is not good. Also we have too many holes in our team. If we were closer, maybe take the risk but we aren’t. Let the demons pay him and keep him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I watch Murphy, ROB and a 90 year old Brodie Smith play every week. No way am I saying no to Clayton Oliver (providing it’s a fair deal)

Actually. I’ll be done if we even trade this year’s first for him.

But we all know the flogs running our club don’t care about long term.

I think you need to look at this differently. We have a developing Midfield. Going to the draft this year with a pick between 6-10 is unlikely to net us a premier midfielder nor will we magically trade for one. We will be drafting Welsh under the father son too. Adding a known quantity in Oliver with 5 years of AFL left in him would add a huge injection into our midfield.

Think about Dawson, Oliver, Rankine, Soligo, Taylor, Rachele. The key is depth. A player like Oliver in a different system would do wonders.

Anyways, the Crows may only offer next years first for Oliver and absorb his entire contract with a few steak knives pick swaps.

But I for one would take Oliver in a heart beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as it has nothing to do with our 1st draft pick. An inform and focussed Oliver is a standout. A distracted and not in form Oliver might be the player we get so we have to quarantine that pick 4 or 5 we get this year as there is too much young midfield talent there to miss out on.

I would happily take his whole wage on and not use pick 5 - just go one short on the list and save $200k which is about what Melbourne would pay anyway

Not for me, think he’s almost done. The trajectory is not good. Also we have too many holes in our team. If we were closer, maybe take the risk but we aren’t. Let the demons pay him and keep him

He should be at his peak right now and for the next few years (obviously missing pre season hasn’t helped him)
If we did swing Oliver and English no reason our window doesn’t open next year

I would happily take his whole wage on and not use pick 5 - just go one short on the list and save $200k which is about what Melbourne would pay anyway

We need to temper this expectation.

Firstly WCE are almost certainly going to ask and get a priority pick. We are also likely to win several of our remaining games which will push us away from 5 anyway.

I also have a feeling we will want two first rounders this year. So that either means splitting this years pick or selling next years first to get a 2nd pick this year. Purely to use in case of a Welsh Bid.

So any first rounder we sell to melbourne is likely to be mid teens.

Basically dont get two excited about a top draft pick this year. Unless we walk away from Oliver and want to hit the draft and trade up.

This is tough one.
  • Known/suspected drug issues
  • Form has been a long way off this season. More than i think an interrupted preseason can account for.
  • He's on a huge contact with a lot of years remaining.
  • Does his age (27) align with our list demographic and when we expect to be competing.
His best has been top 3 AFL midfielder but how confident are we that he can return to that and how much draft/trade capital do we offer up?
His form this year has been terrible. Is that all because he had no preseason? For someone that has been in the system this long, missing a preseason shouldn't affect him this much? Or is his form because there's tension between him/club.
He could barely run at times and didn't look interested in chasing. Hasn't been the tackling machine of the past either. He's only had a few good games from the 19 rounds so far.

Melbourne currently have pick 9, we could swap firsts and still get Draper, 5 for 9 and Oliver and his contract

Would be elite but doubt they take this and doubt Draper is still available.

I’ll cry if we miss Draper and I don’t wanna get my hopes up with Oliver again. He clearly doesn’t want to be at Melbourne and I’m sure under Burgess it will be a different story.

Would love to offer next years first pick for Oliver and still get Draper.

Where is the links to Cumming coming to us? I’ve just joined this chat, would love any insight into that, I rate him highly.

I love a good rumour and it’s exciting to see the names being throw around.
But now the Clarry rumour is in the media we all know this means he’ll sign an extension and in the off season we’ll lose two key players who are building nicely, trade in a b-grader from another club to play reserves, miss out on Balme again and upgrade Wright to ruck coach

We need to temper this expectation.

Firstly WCE are almost certainly going to ask and get a priority pick. We are also likely to win several of our remaining games which will push us away from 5 anyway.

I also have a feeling we will want two first rounders this year. So that either means splitting this years pick or selling next years first to get a 2nd pick this year. Purely to use in case of a Welsh Bid.

So any first rounder we sell to melbourne is likely to be mid teens.

Basically dont get two excited about a top draft pick this year. Unless we walk away from Oliver and want to hit the draft and trade up.

Interesting. I haven’t seen anything on West Coast getting or asking for a PP - and given they one a flag not that long ago they certainly won’t get anything early in the draft. This is Gold Coast!
In terms of wins - lucky to get two more for the year - which leaves us in the same spot we are now. And even then I think every chance the Saints overtake us
The splitting of picks will be the interesting one. I would hope we have earmarked this year as being our elite mid draft pick - but who knows

The Oliver contract is enourmous, 1m pa til 2030. Midfielders tend to regress after 29, apart from Ablett and Neale this year, there have been 0 30+ year old All Australian midfielders over the past 15 years. 3 years of the contract he'll be 30+.

Its a huge risk and just because we have the space doesn't mean we should do it. We are betting he doesn't go back to his bad offield habits and gets back to his best, or close to it. He has spoken about he can't even swim anymore from all his shoulder recos. And then there are the picks we'd give up for it. I don't like this situation. Melbourne won't let him go unless someone gives up a lot, they have plenty cap space so doubt they are desperate to dump his cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back