Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On 1 of the footy shows last week they were floating the idea that if another club was prepared to take on his entire contract, Melbourne should be sending their F1 pick along with him
That was only for Victorian teams

The Oliver contract is enourmous, 1m pa til 2030. Midfielders tend to regress after 29, apart from Ablett and Neale this year, there have been 0 30+ year old All Australian midfielders over the past 15 years. 3 years of the contract he'll be 30+.

Its a huge risk and just because we have the space doesn't mean we should do it. We are betting he doesn't go back to his bad offield habits and gets back to his best, or close to it. He has spoken about he can't even swim anymore from all his shoulder recos. And then there are the picks we'd give up for it. I don't like this situation. Melbourne won't let him go unless someone gives up a lot, they have plenty cap space so doubt they are desperate to dump his cash.

$1m per year for 6 years is only slightly more than the Perryman rumours many in here were attempting to justify.

Interesting. I haven’t seen anything on West Coast getting or asking for a PP - and given they one a flag not that long ago they certainly won’t get anything early in the draft. This is Gold Coast!
In terms of wins - lucky to get two more for the year - which leaves us in the same spot we are now. And even then I think every chance the Saints overtake us
The splitting of picks will be the interesting one. I would hope we have earmarked this year as being our elite mid draft pick - but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think they still have a case. Been bad now for 4 years. like horrendous bad. I think they will ask. Nth Melbourne is a precedent the AFL shouldnt have set. its been 6 years since the premiership as well.

In no way shape or form should we even contemplate handing over ANY 1st rounder for Oliver. It’s McClure peddling this garbage anyway.

Keep in mind the trading environment has changed dramatically, and if Oliver wants out, and Melbourne have a player there that doesn’t want to be there, not to mention potential salary cap issues down the road, there will be pressure to get him out the door asap.

There’s risk EVERYWHERE you look with that potential trade. If we were taking on that entire contract for the next 6 years, at god knows what cost, and we’re honouring the entire $$, then I’d genuinely be asking for a pick from Melbourne.

No diff than the Treloar situation.

‘The Bulldogs sent pick No.14 and a future second-round selection to the Magpies in exchange for Treloar, also receiving picks No.26, No.33 and No.42 in return..
It is expected the Magpies will pay a significant portion of Treloar's salary for the remainder of his five-year contract.’

Wise up everyone, if there’s trouble down at Demonland and Oliver genuinely wants to get to us, we hold the aces.

Haha, Fireman Cornes actually mentioned on that Sam McClure piece that if he was a Crows supporter he’d be wanting the club to chase Melbourne’s 1st rounder this year for taking on a sizeable portion of Oliver’s contract $$’s..

And he’s absolutely not wrong, never thought I’d agree with him..

We sold the farm for an aging Wayne Carey then a burnt out Gibbs, and now a disinterested Oliver?
Surely not again.

Its a hard one.

Carey we need to put in context. We thought we'd make the grand final and its Wayne Carey. He did some good things and in fairness retired out due to an injury. So there was a reason.

Gibbs was also a shot at another GF. But the side fell away and I think he was more of a victim of the toxic nature of the club during his early years and lost his motivation.

Oliver is a different prospect. He adds immediate replacement for Crouch and Laird and he can help mentor our young guys. Is it a risk, sure. But Melbourne has long reported to be a toxic environment where our young squad is a tight nit group. In the right system, players can turn themselves around. He is worth the punt to help a squad on the up.

The Crows hold the upper hand though. Melbourne by the sounds of it will fire sale him out. Maybe the first round next year and we could look to sell them Crouch could get the job done.

Its a hard one.

Carey we need to put in context. We thought we'd make the grand final and its Wayne Carey. He did some good things and in fairness retired out due to an injury. So there was a reason.

Gibbs was also a shot at another GF. But the side fell away and I think he was more of a victim of the toxic nature of the club during his early years and lost his motivation.

Oliver is a different prospect. He adds immediate replacement for Crouch and Laird and he can help mentor our young guys. Is it a risk, sure. But Melbourne has long reported to be a toxic environment where our young squad is a tight nit group. In the right system, players can turn themselves around. He is worth the punt to help a squad on the up.

The Crows hold the upper hand though. Melbourne by the sounds of it will fire sale him out. Maybe the first round next year and we could look to sell them Crouch could get the job done.
Isn't Crouch a more professional cheaper version of Oliver; and with less years on the contract. I'd rather Crouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Crouch a more professional cheaper version of Oliver; and with less years on the contract. I'd rather Crouch.

Crouch is Oliver on wish. Oliver when in form is a top 5 player in the competition. Crouch at his best isnt even a top 20.

Its all moot anyway. The Crows may not even be interested. It could be just Olivers manager trying to manipulate the demons into looking after Oliver more. He would be cheaper to get than LDU though.

The Oliver contract is enourmous, 1m pa til 2030. Midfielders tend to regress after 29, apart from Ablett and Neale this year, there have been 0 30+ year old All Australian midfielders over the past 15 years. 3 years of the contract he'll be 30+.
Just how accurate do you believe that stat to be?

Scott Pendlebury made the AA team in 2019 at 31 years old.

This might be the most insane thread on the forum...people complain about the club getting reamed on trades then want to give up a 1st for Oliver??? Melbourne would be sending us a pick for that, not the other way around. Wild.

Let's get one thing super straight, we're not getting the AA Oliver. We're getting the broken down / barely lift his arms up above his head cause of wrecked shoulders / body wracked by years of substance abuse, Oliver.

Not sure if y'all are aware of the shelf life of drug abuse but there's stages, including 'this is fine' and 'I can totally manage this and work life' especially as an early 20s person that can recover fast. That eventually starts to unravel and then falls off a cliff. Olivers issues by all reports are not a phase but a longer term problem that Melbourne didn't concern itself with until the unravel part began.

If we want to take the risk on him turning his life around and that his body can get back to where it was, then maybe, but we should neither be paying his full salary or giving up picks. The idea that we'd need a 1st is comical beyond belief.

Let's be clear what this is - we'd be taking Melbourne's enormous $10M, player in decline, attitude and lifestyle problem and list management mistake, off their hands. They pay us to do that, not the other way around.

We have history here and it doesn't and won't work out. When clubs want a champion player of their books, there's a reason for that. We do this and we're being a bitch patsy for a Melbourne club...again.

All good points
This is tough one.
  • Known/suspected drug issues
  • Form has been a long way off this season. More than i think an interrupted preseason can account for.
I wonder if his form is due to just not wanting to be there anymore?
  • He's on a huge contact with a lot of years remaining.
Then a deal is made where Melbourne pay XX and take XX in trade or we take the wage on and they get less in trade capital
  • Does his age (27) align with our list demographic and when we expect to be competing.
His age is perfect for us
3 years top flight football brings us right into calculation for a 30 year flag
His best has been top 3 AFL midfielder but how confident are we that he can return to that and how much draft/trade capital do we offer up?
I think if Burgess stays we have a potential game breaker for us

I am concerned about influence around the club but lets face it issues can come from anyone

I hope the club does its due diligence but I think its a 60/40 win

Would be happy to get oliver but not if we have to give up this year's first. Would rather an elite 18 year old with no problems
I look at it similar

I do love the idea of bundling as much as we can without pick 5-6

I think the safe play is Grab Oliver and use P5 on Draper/Lalor and have them grow into the elite midfielder they can be while having Oliver

This gives us the now and the then

Let's get one thing super straight, we're not getting the AA Oliver. We're getting the broken down / barely lift his arms up above his head cause of wrecked shoulders / body wracked by years of substance abuse, Oliver.

Admittedly, I haven't watched all of the Melbourne games, but watched him against Brisbane 3 weeks ago.

Certainly didnt look like the player you are describing.

Admittedly, I haven't watched all of the Melbourne games, but watched him against Brisbane 3 weeks ago.

Certainly didnt look like the player you are describing.
He's down in every single metric since his rookie year (except free kicks against); his disposals are around a quarter under the past 3 seasons. Biggest red flag are his marks and tackle numbers (bad shoulders).

In a vital 8 point game for the Dees on the weekend, he got 18 touches, only 2 marks and got smashed by the Freo mids who did what they wanted.

Not the same player now but my biggest concern is the player he's going to be in 3,4,5 years.

I love a good rumour and it’s exciting to see the names being throw around.
But now the Clarry rumour is in the media we all know this means he’ll sign an extension and in the off season we’ll lose two key players who are building nicely, trade in a b-grader from another club to play reserves, miss out on Balme again and upgrade Wright to ruck coach
I'd be surprised if Clarry signs an extension to his seven year contract.

Any chance we can get the “male bodily fluid” thing under control again please? It’s bloody gross and it’s permeating almost every thread again. Come on fellas, raise your standards!

I agree; it's been flooding the comments section lately. It's like these guys haven't had a good rumour in a long, long time.

I suppose though, when the time comes and we miss out, the box of tissues will be close by still to dry those tears

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back