Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver is a No from me.
Unless we gain draft capital, and we can still afford it after locking away other contracts / extensions first.
I can't see that happening though. I just really hope we don't put all our eggs in the Clarry basket when we have an opportunity to keep all the players we want to keep (with our extra cap space), and draft an elite mid with pick 5 (hopefully).

I would happily take his whole wage on and not use pick 5 - just go one short on the list and save $200k which is about what Melbourne would pay anyway

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Absolutely we would be better off taking on the full contract for a discounted trade deal.

We should have plenty of cap space.

Isn't Crouch a more professional cheaper version of Oliver; and with less years on the contract. I'd rather Crouch.
They are different types of midfielders. Crouch is more like Viney & he plays ok with Oliver.

He's down in every single metric since his rookie year (except free kicks against); his disposals are around a quarter under the past 3 seasons. Biggest red flag are his marks and tackle numbers (bad shoulders).

In a vital 8 point game for the Dees on the weekend, he got 18 touches, only 2 marks and got smashed by the Freo mids who did what they wanted.

Not the same player now but my biggest concern is the player he's going to be in 3,4,5 years.
Disinterested because he wanted to leave last year, Dees blocked it and then publicly humiliated him.

Many would be not wanting to put in the extra work.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Oliver, I'd purely be going by what Darren Burgess recommends. He'd have intimate knowledge of what he is capable of, whether he's peaked or can return to what he was.

They are different types of midfielders. Crouch is more like Viney & he plays ok with Oliver.
I would rather keep Berry, Laird to HB. Crouch Reserves. Smith retired.

Midfield of Oliver/Rankine/Berry/Sog/Taylor and Dawson is pretty good.

Curtin and Sholl on the wing. Rachele stoppage mid/Forward.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Oliver contract is enourmous, 1m pa til 2030. Midfielders tend to regress after 29, apart from Ablett and Neale this year, there have been 0 30+ year old All Australian midfielders over the past 15 years. 3 years of the contract he'll be 30+.

Its a huge risk and just because we have the space doesn't mean we should do it. We are betting he doesn't go back to his bad offield habits and gets back to his best, or close to it. He has spoken about he can't even swim anymore from all his shoulder recos. And then there are the picks we'd give up for it. I don't like this situation. Melbourne won't let him go unless someone gives up a lot, they have plenty cap space so doubt they are desperate to dump his cash.

Personally after seeing Ainsworth re-sign, Petty re-sign - it feels more like the draft and trade media need to spice up a story. We are down to 4-5 players of interest that may change clubs so adding an Oliver story in fills some airtime for them

Last edited:
Personally after seeing Ainsworth resign, Petty resign - it feels more like the draft and trade media need to spice up a story. We are down to 4-5 players of interest that may change clubs so adding an Oliver story in fills some airtime for them

Re-sign.

I feel like Oliver is the prime example of a player that is in desperate need of a fresh start.

With both his off field issues in Melbourne and the actual Football club off field circus that's been playing out over last few years - clearly he would benefit from a move.

A future first I would consider if all the necessary due diligence is done with him and D Burgess feels he is capable of knuckling down again.

I feel like Oliver is the prime example of a player that is in desperate need of a fresh start.

With both his off field issues in Melbourne and the actual Football club off field circus that's been playing out over last few years - clearly he would benefit from a move.

A future first I would consider if all the necessary due diligence is done with him and D Burgess feels he is capable of knuckling down again.
So you would take on his contract AND give them a 1st round pick? You got anything to sell right now? I would love to be dealing with you.

Oliver will be 28 next year. Coincidentally the same age we sold the farm to take Gibbs' off Carlton's hands.

This might be the most insane thread on the forum...people complain about the club getting reamed on trades then want to give up a 1st for Oliver??? Melbourne would be sending us a pick for that, not the other way around. Wild.

Let's get one thing super straight, we're not getting the AA Oliver. We're getting the broken down / barely lift his arms up above his head cause of wrecked shoulders / body wracked by years of substance abuse, Oliver.

Not sure if y'all are aware of the shelf life of drug abuse but there's stages, including 'this is fine' and 'I can totally manage this and work life' especially as an early 20s person that can recover fast. That eventually starts to unravel and then falls off a cliff. Olivers issues by all reports are not a phase but a longer term problem that Melbourne didn't concern itself with until the unravel part began.

If we want to take the risk on him turning his life around and that his body can get back to where it was, then maybe, but we should neither be paying his full salary or giving up picks. The idea that we'd need a 1st is comical beyond belief.

Let's be clear what this is - we'd be taking Melbourne's enormous $10M, player in decline, attitude and lifestyle problem and list management mistake, off their hands. They pay us to do that, not the other way around.

We have history here and it doesn't and won't work out. When clubs want a champion player of their books, there's a reason for that. We do this and we're being a bitch patsy for a Melbourne club...again.
Great points. Do you think our club shares your sentiment? Don’t forget we are run by a bunch of sneaky frauds in desperate need of instant praise/success.

That's my instinct from afar

If we limit ourselves only to players whose club is determined to keep them at all costs then trading becomes an expensive exercise, both in terms of trade capital and cap space.

Is this a risk worth taking? I feel that a softly, softly organic growth approach will only take us so far.

In Burgess we trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you would take on his contract AND give them a 1st round pick? You got anything to sell right now? I would love to be dealing with you.

Oliver will be 28 next year. Coincidentally the same age we sold the farm to take Gibbs' off Carlton's hands.
So will Dawson. Do we want to have a proper crack? How many players of Oliver's level are we capable of getting? Certainly haven't had much luck drafting someone to that level.

Short memories here,

Oliver less than 2 years ago was an out and out A grade star of the comp. Yes his forms dipped but I think the club needs to look at all possibilities for a class player.

As I said, we would need to do all the due diligence and we have D Burgess who would have a very good understanding to help with this. Never said we take all his contract - that stuff can be worked out. A future first could be pick ~10 next year and maybe slides if there are Academy picks, F/S's etc. I would hope too we ask for something else back in return too.

Yeah he's had off field issues - but all these people claiming to have some intimate knowledge of what he is does away form footy are clearly just speculating. A change of scenery can be a powerful force of change in ones life.

Pretty sure Gibbs was older once we acquired him too.

Anyway - I'm very cautious on this Oliver talk but if we have a genuine chance to land him, with highly conditional clauses - then least at least look at it. I'm sick of the club being mediocre and conservative sitting in 14th spot.

Reckon Geelong are the wild card in this if he does ask for a trade too....

Darren Jarman was also 28 when we got him

I’m sure Burgess could give an opinion about his shoulders and motivation but don’t know if he has expertise in drug rehab.

Short memories here,

Oliver less than 2 years ago was an out and out A grade star of the comp. Yes his forms dipped but I think the club needs to look at all possibilities for a class player.

As I said, we would need to do all the due diligence and we have D Burgess who would have a very good understanding to help with this. Never said we take all his contract - that stuff can be worked out. A future first could be pick ~10 next year and maybe slides if there are Academy picks, F/S's etc. I would hope too we ask for something else back in return too.

Yeah he's had off field issues - but all these people claiming to have some intimate knowledge of what he is does away form footy are clearly just speculating. A change of scenery can be a powerful force of change in ones life.

Anyway - I'm very cautious on this Oliver talk but if we have a genuine chance to land him, with highly conditional clauses - then least at least look at it. I'm sick of the club being mediocre and conservative sitting in 14th spot.

2 years is a long time in football. I'd prefer we go for players who are great footballers, not use to be. We absolutely should not be spending 1st round picks on any 28 year olds who's form has 'dipped'. If we have to take on some financial risk, then ok but not spending premium picks on a 'hope so'.

What you're not considering is why his form has dipped.

Its a hard one.

Carey we need to put in context. We thought we'd make the grand final and its Wayne Carey. He did some good things and in fairness retired out due to an injury. So there was a reason.

Gibbs was also a shot at another GF. But the side fell away and I think he was more of a victim of the toxic nature of the club during his early years and lost his motivation.

Oliver is a different prospect. He adds immediate replacement for Crouch and Laird and he can help mentor our young guys. Is it a risk, sure. But Melbourne has long reported to be a toxic environment where our young squad is a tight nit group. In the right system, players can turn themselves around. He is worth the punt to help a squad on the up.

The Crows hold the upper hand though. Melbourne by the sounds of it will fire sale him out. Maybe the first round next year and we could look to sell them Crouch could get the job done.
Oliver a mentor...😲

On face value his personal issues seem deeper and doubt a change in lifestyle would help him return to the player of previous years.

I know Adelaide need midfielders, but I would not head down this path.

Short memories here,

Have you not watched several of the videos his so called friends posted on social media.... don't need intimate knowledge to know he has serious issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back