Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All depends whether you are buying Kodak on its way down, then way out for structural reasons or Apple upon its huge renaissance from being able to reinvent itself.

Normally buying a losing stock, that has fallen materially in value, is a LOSING strategy

Except it’s clearly a losing strategy in real life (sharemarket which STO was referring to)

Midfielders have become technologically obsolete you reckon?

Oliver ain't Bowes lol. If it's a salary dump then we will need to give a 2nd rounder and not get pick 7 like Geelong received.
Yes Bowes 'aint Oliver. Bowes is younger, doesn't have a drug habit and is on almost half a mil less a season (has got more of the football over the past month as well).

If we give up anything to take on Melbourne's massive problem, we're even weaker than I thought we were.

It’ll ramp up you’d expect. Especially if he’s still carrying his back injury.
1970, am I right in saying you aren’t keen for Tex to play on? If so, what are your main reasons?

Clearly he ain’t going to have another 2023 season but even playing half the games and tutoring a still young forward line (Welsh, TT, Rachele) is invaluable when on a likely moderate salary - 400k ish is my guess

Rankine was fair value at the time IMO (very good value in hindsight) and Dawson was an absolute steal at a VERY late first rounder when Sud was pushing for our Rachele pick (and could have made things harder for us if PSD threat didn’t exist)
They were both fair value at the time. Dawson turned out to be a steal but there would've been a riot if we gave up pick 5 for a guy who at the time was a solid performer coming off the back of one good season.

That's exactly my point - he got two guys who wanted to come for fair value. Reckon both you or I could've managed to do that.

1970, am I right in saying you aren’t keen for Tex to play on? If so, what are your main reasons?

Clearly he ain’t going to have another 2023 season but even playing half the games and tutoring a still young forward line (Welsh, TT, Rachele) is invaluable when on a likely moderate salary - 400k ish is my guess
Fog and RT have shown it's their forward line now

It's a list spot we can utilise better

Soligo is managing a groin so that might be why
Yes, I deduced that early in the last match, without knowing about this. On one occasion, in a "running" contest, he was up and down on the spot, while the oppo sprinted past: most unusual. He was obviously managing something. He still managed to perform reasonably despite this, playing within his injury limitations.

My view has always been that it's a decision for the end of the season . If his form/body warranted another year, then he'd get another contract. If it didn't, then you wait until the conclusion of the trade period and draft and see where the list is at and whether there's any opportunities. The on-field tutoring stuff is plain rubbish, you either warrant an extension on football output or you don't. That same garbage excuse was used when Sloane and Thommo were extended into their final years. Where it sits right now, I don't think he should be extended, but there's a handful of games to go.

And what I'd be doing, without any hesitation at all, is what we should have done with Sloane last year. If we do decide to extend him, he should be delisted and picked up as a rookie.

Soligo is managing a groin so that might be why

Why would we manage a groin 20 rounds into a season that we're going to finish 14th in? Surely we just call his season over and start rehabbing for 2025. It'll be a disaster if we Brad & Matt him. And no, in Burgo I don't trust, I've seen no change whatsoever to injured players taking the field whilst he's been with us.

They were both fair value at the time. Dawson turned out to be a steal but there would've been a riot if we gave up pick 5 for a guy who at the time was a solid performer coming off the back of one good season.

That's exactly my point - he got two guys who wanted to come for fair value. Reckon both you or I could've managed to do that.
Will agree to disagree on Dawson. Finished 3rd B&F (recent form is clearly more relevant than early years in the system where he had been building). Most crows supporters were thrilled with acquiring him after seeing his dominant 2021 season, swans rated him rightly as one of their most elite youngsters (from memory top 2-3) and I felt at the time - as did many here - that we got him at an excellent buy in price. Hindsight is even better clearly but at the time he was a bargain IMO

Not giving any credit to Reid and team for collectively bringing in the best 2 inbound players over a couple of years - both elite players in the competition who were happy at their existing club - seems totally unreasonable to me and don’t really have anything further to say here. Cheers

Imagine missing out on Harrison Petty who is putting in a "Jeremy Finlayson in a Grand Final" kind of season, only to get Clayton Oliver.

Lesssgo

I can't believe people are still talking about giving Melbourne a 1st - for this year, next year or any year. Unless they're paying his entire salary - which would defeat the purpose - there should be zero chance that we would give them a premium pick. If anything a premium pick would come our way.

Can't criticise the club for rolling over and getting reamed on deals when we're calling for silly stuff like this.
You are giving way too much credit to the dumb people running our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver ain't Bowes lol. If it's a salary dump then we will need to give a 2nd rounder and not get pick 7 like Geelong received.
The Bowes situation is a one-off and won't ever happen again. Mainly because the VFL will step in and block it. Especially if it happened to favour a non-Vic team.

The Bowes situation is a one-off and won't ever happen again. Mainly because the VFL will step in and block it. Especially if it happened to favour a non-Vic team.

I don't think that's true. The AFL are looking at trading cap space for draft picks, if anything it's likely to expand.

You’ve made the same derogatory point so many times now. Don’t you bore yourself with the repetition as you do to others?
Geez, if I bore you with my negative comments, I’m surprised you have any time at all for big footy. Most people on here are jaded. It’s called being a Crows fan. But, I can certainly try and tone it down to appease you and these ‘others’ you speak for.

Thanks for posting Justin Reid

My view has always been that it's a decision for the end of the season . If his form/body warranted another year, then he'd get another contract. If it didn't, then you wait until the conclusion of the trade period and draft and see where the list is at and whether there's any opportunities. The on-field tutoring stuff is plain rubbish, you either warrant an extension on football output or you don't. That same garbage excuse was used when Sloane and Thommo were extended into their final years. Where it sits right now, I don't think he should be extended, but there's a handful of games to go.

And what I'd be doing, without any hesitation at all, is what we should have done with Sloane last year. If we do decide to extend him, he should be delisted and picked up as a rookie.
He’ll get a contract for next year, and likely declines a bit. Then 2026 will be his final year.

He shouldn’t get that deal either, and he’ll likely not get on the park much.

But Sloane was cooked and got another year, Smith is cooked and will get another year. Cant see them playing hardball with Tex.

You’ve made the same derogatory point so many times now. Don’t you bore yourself with the repetition as you do to others?
Are you working on the assumption overtly positive deluded posting isn’t boring?

Again it’s not your place to determine how and what posters post. You’ve got the ignore option so pull your head in

Our last 4 early picks have been:

TT
Rachele
Rankine trade
Curtin

Are you really unhappy with those?

I agree Hamish had a poor 5 years finishing in 2019. Since then our recruitment has been near leagues best in the last 4 years when looking holistically
Its amazing what a couple wins against a pisspoor Essendon and St Kilda can do. Near leagues best?

Curtin has played 2 games, and poor ones at that. The rest of the top 10 from last year's draft have played 4+. I'm not saying he won't end up being a gun, but nobody should be slapping Hamish on the back and saying well done on the pick at the moment.

Jury still out on Rachele.

Rankine was a trade so doesn't count.

Even TT when he was healthy last season did not play to an elite level. Our pick 11 that year looks like being a wasted pick too. That 2020 draft overall is looking pretty rubbish when you take the academy players out.

Whats more boring is the constant whinging from a few in here who endlessly sook about others saying anything negative about the club..

Its amazing what a couple wins against a pisspoor Essendon and St Kilda can do. Near leagues best?

Curtin has played 2 games, and poor ones at that. The rest of the top 10 from last year's draft have played 4+. I'm not saying he won't end up being a gun, but nobody should be slapping Hamish on the back and saying well done on the pick at the moment.

Jury still out on Rachele.

Rankine was a trade so doesn't count.

Even TT when he was healthy last season did not play to an elite level. Our pick 11 that year looks like being a wasted pick too. That 2020 draft overall is looking pretty rubbish when you take the academy players out.
Obviously it’s way too optimistic to call it ‘league best’, but this is a pretty glass half empty way of looking at it

He’ll get a contract for next year, and likely declines a bit. Then 2026 will be his final year.
No no no no 2026 he should be eating red Broken Hill dust not suiting up for us . that way lies madness
He shouldn’t get that deal either, and he’ll likely not get on the park much.

But Sloane was cooked and got another year, Smith is cooked and will get another year. Cant see them playing hardball with Tex.
I agree this is how our club operates - sorry not sorry 119others - but its true

This would be the worst possible outcome....
Yep I was being very sarcastic I personally don’t want Oliver if it’s going to cost us any draft picks - it’s a huge gamble that could go very south.

Welsh is also a gamble but as FS not as big investment if he chooses to become serious about AFL

I want Draper or one of the other 9-10 quality mids on offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back