Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is far too risk averse. Oliver is quality and we should be doing everything reasonably in our power to obtain him.
Don’t you mean “he was quality”?

Incredibly talented footballer but there’s been hundreds of those who have chosen to go the party lifestyle rather than live the professional lifestyle.

Everyone in the AFL community know of his “issues” and it doesn’t appear that he as altered them.

Why would we manage a groin 20 rounds into a season that we're going to finish 14th in? Surely we just call his season over and start rehabbing for 2025. It'll be a disaster if we Brad & Matt him. And no, in Burgo I don't trust, I've seen no change whatsoever to injured players taking the field whilst he's been with us.
Burgess is on record as saying he prefers to teach players how to play with injury.

Soligo groin. Dawson foot. Butts calf. Izak hammy Tex back/hip... there's been quite a few this year.

Are you working on the assumption overtly positive deluded posting isn’t boring?

Again it’s not your place to determine how and what posters post. You’ve got the ignore option so pull your head in
all good. i will start boring the shit out of you with overly repetitive posts and see what you think.

how good were the Rankine and Dawson trades (I will be asking same question 30+ times in the next week)

I love how we are 14th on the ladder and massively underperformed this year, yet people are worried about taking a risk :$ :$
I understand the appeal of this headline but as a general golden rule in business, and I believe in sporting Organisations, the stronger the existing club the more suitable it is to embark on a high risk/high reward strategy.

For the already successful club a risky venture turning bad will cause a set back but not break it. For the more vulnerable club like us currently - lack of success, sliding profits combined with MASSIVE CapEx outlays over coming years, crowds potentially dropping after this year based on recent games attendances, cultural issues in recent years after Pyke and camp whivh has only been fixed under Nicks - we would be taking a MASSIVE risk (which we all need to acknowledge taking on Oliver is - and thats assuming we do not give up ANY draft capital) but 10m for 6 years for a player in career worst form, crook shoulders, known drug addiction and serious behavioural issues. How many grown men, let alone professional athletes whilst training, go bending multiple car windscreen wipers? We have all seen the video of him kicking the wall in whilst off his face. Why was it widely reported Snr Dees players wanted him GONE last year?

Now wherever he ends up, lets hope he gets his shit together and lives a healthy emotional and physical life.

For the Dees to allow him to go, a former top 3-4 player in the league - SELLING the player - thats the biggest warning sign of all

Don’t you mean “he was quality”?

Incredibly talented footballer but there’s been hundreds of those who have chosen to go the party lifestyle rather than live the professional lifestyle.

Everyone in the AFL community know of his “issues” and it doesn’t appear that he as altered them.
He's had one sub-par season choir boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that's true. The AFL are looking at trading cap space for draft picks, if anything it's likely to expand.

Also, totally agree. They're trying to make this another lever clubs can pull to rebuild faster or keep premiership windows open longer. They're talking about essentially trading salary cap for picks.

He's had one sub-par season choir boy
serious question mate. we all know the upsides . Oliver turns his life completely around, becomes our best player and dominant midfielder leading us to September glory, ala second half in the 2021 GF.

But the risks - do they not worry you and need to be weighed up? His career worst year is also this year. He is one of the highest paid players in the league under contract for 6 more years well into his 30's and already showing concerning structural injury issues (from my limited understanding - shoulders). We know SOME of the shit he has done but probably only a small % of what the truth really is.

Its one where hindsight will be a beautiful thing but get him for 'just' salary (reported 10m over last 6 years) and he doesnt perform any better than this year. Buckley said OTC on Monday about players going from one part of career and transitioning to the next level (lower level) and did raise this when speaking about Oliver.

We all want the gun mid to win us finals. But Jesus, this is bloody risky on many fronts dont you think from financial to cultural and more? (and perhaps the risk is indeed worth it if we can restructure contract and/or pay him out after 3-4 years if we have so much spare $$ floating around but hardly ideal)

Also, totally agree. They're trying to make this another lever clubs can pull to rebuild faster or keep premiership windows open longer. They're talking about essentially trading salary cap for picks.
not sure if directed at me mate or I just have a popular name (number) but yes I agree with you and 1970. The AFL wants more movement inc buying out contracts like we saw with Bowes and soon to see trading 3 years draft picks (current year and following 2) instead of two years total

My view has always been that it's a decision for the end of the season . If his form/body warranted another year, then he'd get another contract. If it didn't, then you wait until the conclusion of the trade period and draft and see where the list is at and whether there's any opportunities. The on-field tutoring stuff is plain rubbish, you either warrant an extension on football output or you don't. That same garbage excuse was used when Sloane and Thommo were extended into their final years. Where it sits right now, I don't think he should be extended, but there's a handful of games to go.

And what I'd be doing, without any hesitation at all, is what we should have done with Sloane last year. If we do decide to extend him, he should be delisted and picked up as a rookie.
we seem to have lots of possible outs this year

sloane
parnell
mc H
Berg to GWS and/or Burgess if not contracted
Gollant would be lucky to survive
Smith doesnt deserve to go around again
Berry rumours to Saints
Hamill rumour to MLB club
ROB rumour
Probably missed someone here but Sholl (and Bond has saved himself seemingly)

Add the Tex and we are going to find it bloody hard filling so many positions. Clearly the big difference between Tex and SLoane / Smith is that Tex had his best ever year just last year. He hasnt been declining year after year. A fit Tex makes our side better and we probably cant say the same with Smith or Sloane when he was still an active playing member. And personally when you see Tex coaching onfield I think there is value in that but understand its a secondary (and distant) consideration to actuallay performing

not sure if directed at me mate or I just have a popular name (number) but yes I agree with you and 1970. The AFL wants more movement inc buying out contracts like we saw with Bowes and soon to see trading 3 years draft picks (current year and following 2) instead of two years total

119 as in page 119 :)

Wasn’t there a rumour of Burgess leaving end of the year? Would give the Oliver rumour a 0% chance of happening if that’s true.

I'd be shocked if we delsited Gollant. 22 year old kpf who has shown glimpses at SANFL level and finding it hard to get a real run behind Tex and Fog. If we are to be contending we'll need someone like him in 4+ years time who can play a role if required (if not more)
I have always thought Gollant had AFL traits.
I hope we offer him another contract.
I would like to see how he goes with 8-10 consecutive games to give him a real crack at it, like we did this year with Cook.
We don't have a lot of depth in that spot either so I hope he is around next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back