Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 158 82.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In contract? Top 6 or 7 pick

Fog is clearly best 10 for us, let alone best 22. He was our captain two weeks ago. He’s clearly valued by us. Luko just got dropped

FOG's 2024 vs Lukos 2023.

FOG: 1.7 goals, .7 behinds, 1.7 tackles, 4.8marks (1.4 contested), .6 Goal Assists, 7.1 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 inside 50's, DE 76.7%, 209 meters gained,

Luko: 1.8 goals, 1 behind, 1.1 tackles, 6.4 marks (1 contested), .7 Goal Assists, 11. kicks, 1.9 handballs, 4.4 inside 50's, DE 69.8%, 380 meters gained.

Keep in mind Luko was 2 years younger in 2023 than FOG is in 2024. If you are trading for Luko you are trading for his upside and what he can do as a third forward which he was in 2023 (behind Casboult/King).

I think people are reading too much into the fact he is dropped the same week Gold Coast are eliminated from finals contention and a day after the media re-ran the story that he is "gettable".

Important to trade for players based on what they can provide - and I really think he would be an amazing 3rd tall alongside FOG/TT long term.

A forward line of FOG,TT, LUKO,Rachele, Rankine would be absolutely incredible and put us into top 4 contention IMO. Thats a pick 12, pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 6 and Pick 4 all of whom are 25 and under and entering their prime.

I reckon dimma is weeding out players that are largely cruising, just taking the salary at gc with no intention of really being there in the trenches doing what's required if they got in finals.

I think luko gets along with dimma way less well than dew.

I think luko is worth a pick from 14-18.

I don't think any of our trades will net a pick that early. I don't think Keane is going and Berry, Hamill and Berg won't get us any better than second rounders, which we won't be able to cobble together to get a first.

So the question becomes which future first do we give up? I think 2026 is better, no chance of getting the top SA talent that year (Cochrane) whereas might have some chance at sharp next year.

I reckon dimma is weeding out players that are largely cruising, just taking the salary at gc with no intention of really being there in the trenches doing what's required if they got in finals.

I don't think any of our trades will net a pick that early. I don't think Keane is going and Berry, Hamill and Berg won't get us any better than second rounders, which we won't be able to cobble together to get a first.

So the question becomes which future first do we give up? I think 2026 is better, no chance of getting the top SA talent that year (Cochrane) whereas might have some chance at sharp next year.
We need to try and bundle up our 2nd and one of the 2nds we get for Berry or Keane, and use them to get a late first.

That's around the mark for Luko IMO.

I think people are reading too much into the fact he is dropped the same week Gold Coast are eliminated from finals contention and a day after the media re-ran the story that he is "gettable".
It's not just being dropped, it's a year of battling with the coach, the terrible performance against West Coast last week.

Good analysis vs Fog, but 2023 is a long way away for Luko, and his role at GC appears untenable now.

It looks like a Stringer trade, GC have shown their hand. Nicks had flown up to meet him because the relationship is over. Luko wants to head home to try to reinvigorate his career which is failing. Gold Coast have replaced him in the forward, gets no role.

When you have a highly paid player out of the team, and a team of top 10 players all on big money to stay, its smart to just move them on.

God damn. Luko is not a need. where are we going to play him?

Clearly he isn’t suited to a wing. Hardwick and Dew would have established him there if they thought he had the tools.

So why would we even consider it?

Because he’s from SA and people at the club are hanging onto his draft position?

He’s been a complete bust. And the notion that he’ll thrive in our environment is a load of horseshit too. This the AFC remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 2025 first for Luko and pick 20 this year?

I'd consider that.
There's leverage to be made between where we think we'll finish in 2025 and where outsiders think we'll finish.

Gold Coast may perceive our 2025 1st round pick to be a lot earlier than we do. We should play off this and back ourselves in.

Nicks and co may as well. If we crash and burn next year they'll surely all be sacked anyway. No point them hanging on to a future pick just in case it ends up 1-3

God damn. Luko is not a need. where are we going to play him?

Clearly he isn’t suited to a wing. Hardwick and Dew would have established him there if they thought he had the tools.

3rd Forward. You know - where he was top 20 for goals in 2023.

So why would we even consider it?

Because he’s from SA and people at the club are hanging onto his draft position?

He’s been a complete bust. And the notion that he’ll thrive in our environment is a load of horseshit too. This the AFC remember.

Has FOG been a complete bust?

You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Firstly, if Luko says he wants a trade and names the Crows, then GCS are in a terrible spot, now that Dimma has made clear he doesn't rate him and doesn't consider him a lock for their first 22.

Luko's management are going to be pretty clear that they have to get him somewhere else.

We have pick 27, and we'll be able to get two other picks in the late 20s to late 30s through trades.

The Lions have pick 17 and will be looking to trade it for Ashcroft points.

I think the actual issue is GCS won't want 2024 early picks because they have so many.

I still like our 2025 1st for Luko and 20, or F2 and 27 for Luko.

There's leverage to be made between where we think we'll finish in 2025 and where outsiders think we'll finish.

Gold Coast may perceive our 2025 1st round pick to be a lot earlier than we do. We should play off this and back ourselves in.

Nicks and co may as well. If we crash and burn next year they'll surely all be sacked anyway. No point them hanging on to a future pick just in case it ends up 1-3
To be fair, I actually think opposition clubs think we'll do better than we think we'll do.

But your logic is 100% right about what Nicks and team should do.

It's not just being dropped, it's a year of battling with the coach, the terrible performance against West Coast last week.

Good analysis vs Fog, but 2023 is a long way away for Luko, and his role at GC appears untenable now.

It looks like a Stringer trade, GC have shown their hand. Nicks had flown up to meet him because the relationship is over. Luko wants to head home to try to reinvigorate his career which is failing. Gold Coast have replaced him in the forward, gets no role.

When you have a highly paid player out of the team, and a team of top 10 players all on big money to stay, its smart to just move them on.

Oh I agree. I think he is 100% gone.

My point is that I dont think him being dropped this week affects how the trade will play out.

Think the Stringer trade is a great example and probably the closest trade to establish value for Luko. Picks 25 and 30 were given up for Stringer.

Oh I agree. I think he is 100% gone.

My point is that I dont think him being dropped this week affects how the trade will play out.

Think the Stringer trade is a great example and probably the closest trade to establish value for Luko. Picks 25 and 30 were given up for Stringer.
That's probably about right for Luko too, even if Stringer had done more.

To be fair, I actually think opposition clubs think we'll do better than we think we'll do.
Not a chance!

We extended Nicks early so as not to upset our finals apple cart remember

Stringer had off-field issues and issues with his team mates on his poor training standards and lack of professionalism, it’s not a great comparison

It’s also a long bow to draw to suggest that Luko being dropped impacts his trade value, Izak was dropped and we still paid a 1st round

I think we need to not create low-ball expectations, he’s a high end pick and talent, only been dropped once in his career and is under contract.

Minimum will be a future first and something else…..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back