Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't Viney a father son?

So are you saying he wanted Viney to not nominate and go in the mini draft instead?
I think I remember something about this at the time. Todd was an assistant coach for us then. Melbourne poached him first I think??

Jesus, we'll find anything to be upset about.

We played every single player on our list except Ryan and Edwards. Is it only success if every single kid is playing all the time?

Are we not in any way concerned about playing the best available squad? The kids that are already in the team - don't they deserve to be surrounded by best possible talent, so they have the chance to succeed?

Glad they took Ryan. Let him see a bit more of what it's like to travel and prepare at the top level. Now he can head into his first full preseason, and be as ready as possible for next year.
No-one is wanting the talented experienced players dropped in favour of youth, just those who aren't that talented or who once were but no longer are.

There are 2-3 of these every week who are well known to all and it makes the difference between winning and losing, so it's not the best available squad every game. Some of them have eventually been dropped sure, but always weeks or months after they should have been to even a casual observer.

You do know ....they're simply issue's you have around selection ....which every supporter varies on

It doesn't mean your POV is correct ....nor does it mean it impacted results, or development

It is not fact !
Hmm, it goes to the judgement of the coach who besides going rogue bonkers, your words not mine, has had many questionable selection issues. How about making Nank sub against Brisbane to fit in a cooked Smith who Nicks stupidly gets to a contract trigger to then only play him in the SANFL.

When will you swallow your pride and concede Nicks is a moron?

Wasn't Viney a father son?

So are you saying he wanted Viney to not nominate and go in the mini draft instead?
I’m pretty sure Rendell had spoken about him (Rendell) wanting that. Todd Viney was assistant coach here at the time.

But I don’t think the Viney family were ever onboard with this, and I think Todd left when Jack was drafted.

Sheezel, McKercher, Day, Flanders ...... it's the new trend with first year rookies
Would love us to try it with young mids

We did it back in the day with Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards, Johnson. Not so much recently

Half forward has become the development zone but it's hard to succeed there

Really I would have though it would be framed if you’re in good enough form to hit the trigger you deserve to get paid the same as the other years?
Every year of a contract would be a different amount in most cases

Put yourself in his shoes and think about what just one game would have done for his confidence, his mindset, his life. His family flying up to the game en masse.

A life changing moment. A high point to finish his first year. And earned because his form has been good. He starts the preseason with a spring in the step. All that work was worthwhile.

This stuff washes over us. Opportunities slip by. And we choose options with absolutely zero upside in preference, even in the deadest of dead rubbers.

I actually think you've become completely numb to the club. Success is so distant and errors are so frequent that you don't even notice them. Why get angry when it's business as usual?

I was pretty pissed off with Laird. Just though that completely went against the team first philosophy that any winning side has.

But maybe you're right. I cannot maintain the rage to be angry at absolutely everything.

I would have been happy for Ryan if he'd gotten a game. Same for Edwards. But we're so incredibly young that I can't get angry that we didn't squeeze in another kid or two when so many are getting opportunities. At a certain point, there's obvious diminishing returns in playing so many kids at the same time.

Some things aren't errors, they're just options.

An option is to give Ryan a game - another is to have him follow the team and see what's required at the top level. I don't think his approach to the preseason will be different under either option.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every year of a contract would be a different amount in most cases
Yeah but there’s front end and back ending.
There’s every possibility that each year increased.
Then there’s making the trigger a smaller figure or keeping it the same.
I can’t see any reason why the trigger year wouldn’t be an equal amount?
Or I should say, I can’t see why a trigger year would be significantly less (as it would be if we gave him a 1 year offer now)
We’ve cost ourselves cap space.

Last edited:
I was pretty pissed off with Laird. Just though that completely went against the team first philosophy that any winning side has.

But maybe you're right. I cannot maintain the rage to be angry at absolutely everything.

I would have been happy for Ryan if he'd gotten a game. Same for Edwards. But we're so incredibly young that I can't get angry that we didn't squeeze in another kid or two when so many are getting opportunities. At a certain point, there's obvious diminishing returns in playing so many kids at the same time.

Some things aren't errors, they're just options.

An option is to give Ryan a game - another is to have him follow the team and see what's required at the top level. I don't think his apporach to the preseason will be different under either option.
I agree on Edwards his form was patchy though the year but ended the season strongly , I don’t mind him missing out on a debut this year, but Ryan would have been close to our most consistent player in the SANFL this year and can hopefully bring a lot of things we are lacking there with his pace and skills. He deserved a debut and several games in the second half of the year IMO.

Personally I would have picked him ahead of Bond and had Max play a bit more of a lockdown role like he did last year.

Would love us to try it with young mids

We did it back in the day with Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards, Johnson. Not so much recently

Half forward has become the development zone but it's hard to succeed there
This x1000

Instead of putting failed midfielders there (Reilly, Doughty, VB, Milera), use it as a springboard for a talented young player. Someone like Charlie Edwards could start on a HBF.

Entirely possible we plan to go no further than pick 4(5) plus Welsh at the draft, with the rest of our turnover in trade/FA

Or, in the vomit scenario, just Welsh with 4(5) traded somewhere for reasons beyond understanding.

If we were really planning to bring in a sizable number of players from the main and rookie drafts we wouldn't have so many players sitting in limbo waiting to find out if we have a spot for them, we'd be waving them goodbye and using whatever picks we had in either draft to fill up after trades.

Seems like GC pushing him out expecting a nice return, and ending up with a second rounder like we did with Brad Crouch.
That would be the only scenario I'd be happy to take him, unless GC are paying 50% of his contract still

LOL@ Champ

What a sad flex
lol @ Dick when he has confused me with someone else’s questioning of his
theory which is totally possible, had no qualms with it at all.
Had nothing to do with his effing argument or wanted to and have no idea why he quoted me.
I was not arguing against him.

Entirely possible we plan to go no further than pick 4(5) plus Welsh at the draft, with the rest of our turnover in trade/FA

Or, in the vomit scenario, just Welsh with 4(5) traded somewhere for reasons beyond understanding.

If we were really planning to bring in a sizable number of players from the main and rookie drafts we wouldn't have so many players sitting in limbo waiting to find out if we have a spot for them, we'd be waving them goodbye and using whatever picks we had in either draft to fill up after trades.
You have to make 3 picks at the draft, which can include rookie promotions, so this seems unlikely. Assuming McHenry, Gollant, Sloane, Parnell are delisted / retired, and we are after 3 of ANB, Cumming, Luko, Rosas - we're either getting rid of at least 3 of Burgess, Keane, Hberg, Bond, Hamill or other players are going to request a trade while under contract (hopefully not Rachele, I'd be keen for Laird)

At a certain point, there's obvious diminishing returns in playing so many kids at the same time.
This is dependent on how the season is panning out. Overall your point is valid in a winning season

Where we were it didnt matter. It wasnt going to affect our win loss or a charge to finals.

lol @ Dick when he has confused me with someone else’s questioning of his
theory which is totally possible, had no qualms with it at all.
Had nothing to do with his effing argument or wanted to and have no idea why he quoted me.
I was not arguing against him.
You're the know all who said he was in the know and it was definitely 12 games

I then wanted clarification from the ITK poster if it was 75 or 74 per your ITK comment

Dick

Jon Ralph saying Collingwood into Luko while they were under the impression it was a Bowes style salary dump. Not the case, so Pies are out. Said Suns still want a 1st rounder for Luko though.
Michael Scott No GIF

You're the know all who said he was in the know and it was definitely 12 games

I then wanted clarification from the ITK poster if it was 75 or 74 per your ITK comment

Dick
How the hell can that be ascertained by me ??
I was told 12 games for the season, that is all
You are the one who wants to argue with other people if it was part of 75 or 74 that’s fine.

Toss ( is that how it goes )

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back