Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But we knew he'd be getting older

I would have thought salaries would be parabolic over a player's career

Maybe ours are more like an upwards ramp!
They are, to a certain extent - but the need to front/back load them (as appropriate) would significantly affect the profile within any given contract.

Nah he's a fairly mid defender. Must be nice getting top 10 picks for those type of players.
Remember when the AFL world lost their mind, when there was a possibility we could get a 1st round compensation pick for Brouch.

We need courageous_tom to let us know!
What's the question!?

There's no rule. When I was around, most players had smaller contracts as they reached the end of their career. There are exceptions though. One player I remember took cuts throughout his career to keep the team together, and then got paid very well in the twilight of his career to make up for it, even though his form didn't necessarily warrant it.

cant say i watch too much of st kilda (for obvious reasons) so is this battle guy really that good? in terms of the money apparently being offered. or are sides really that desperate for any half decent tall defender
Battle frees up Sicily a hell of a lot, so it's a double win for the Hawks

The AFL can get their tame "journalists" (and I use the term very loosely) to repeat ad nauseum that "it's not a Bowes situation", but it's blatantly obvious that it IS a Bowes situation.

GC need Luko's salary off their books, so they can afford to pay Rioli & Noble. That makes it a salary dump, with the trade being weighted strongly in our favour as a result.

No way we giving a first round + playing 1m each year for luko.

Suns will want that salary off their books
Agree I hope we dont get suckered into this. We are doing them the favour.

Luko off their books will be a huge advantage for them for the salary cap.

The AFL can get their tame "journalists" (and I use the term very loosely) to repeat ad nauseum that "it's not a Bowes situation", but it's blatantly obvious that it IS a Bowes situation.

GC need Luko's salary off their books, so they can afford to pay Rioli & Noble. That makes it a salary dump, with the trade being weighted strongly in our favour as a result.
100% correct. Paying a guy $900k+ to smash Casey Demons in the VFL while trying to recruit and keep talent makes no sense.

Even if we play fair we could swap our 4 for their 6 + Luko and his salary (or 80% of it).

Gold Coast going to the media to draw a line in the sand is just bluff.

I read that as 1m in the next two years, so 500,000 each year
It is understood Lukosius is on $850,000 this season but his deal hits between $950,000-$1 million a season in the next two years, given the back-ended nature of the contract.

From Ralph's article on Luko and Rosas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% correct. Paying a guy $900k+ to smash Casey Demons in the VFL while trying to recruit and keep talent makes no sense.

Even if we play fair we could swap our 4 for their 6 + Luko and his salary (or 80% of it).

Gold Coast going to the media to draw a line in the sand is just bluff.
Our 2024 1st is totally off the table in any format of pick swaps. It simply wont happen.

From Ralph's article on Luko and Rosas
Dont forget Rosas is also contracted for 2025 for the Suns.

There is a huge salary cap relief for them if we take these players off them.

It could easily be $1.5m for 2025 for both of them.

Dont forget Rosas is also contracted for 2025 for the Suns.

There is a huge salary cap relief for them if we take these players off them.

It could easily be $1.5m for 2025 for both of them.
I'd assume we'd smooth deals over and not cop it in one hit but yes for GC it opens up a lot of negotiations for incoming players if they are to get 1Mill+ off their books in one way or another.

Fck. We better not be giving up this year's first. And even next year's first must include a pick back or add in Rosas. Even then Luko + Rosas I'm not sure of future first.
F*ck em. They can pay his $1m a year and play him in the VFL

Our 2024 1st is totally off the table in any format of pick swaps. It simply wont happen.
I don't think we're stupid enough to trade away pick 4.

We might use it to draft another key defender but we won't be trading it.

I don't think we're stupid enough to trade away pick 4.

We might use it to draft another key defender but we won't be trading it.
We extended Nicks this year when we could have easily have just waited the year out and made a careful astute decision.

Dont ever underestimate the stupidity of the AFC.

Well if you did, you'd see that my posting is pretty fair and reasonable considering where both of our sides are at

Women's - most successful team in the history of the competition, multiple elite superstar players, in contention every year

Men's - haven't made finals in 7 years, finished 15th five years into a rebuild

I have always given the club credit where it deserves credit. The women's team deserves praise and credit. The men's program does not.

I'm very aware of what a good football team looks like because I watch the only currently successful Crows team all the time
Got it ....AFLW board ...you post fair & reasonable stuff

AFL Crows board, you don't post fair & reasonable stuff .....got it ;)

Hopefully we can hold out until GC realize they can’t fit luko in with what they want to do.
Not many teams can fit a mill each year for the next two years, so they can’t just ship him anywhere.
GC are bringing in two high priced players .....they have to find the money from somewhere

The fact Rosas has been asked to shop himself around, IMO demonstrates a need to free up spots ...with more Academy picks coming

Fancy Rosas being flicked ....and Atkins enjoys the remainder of his newly signed Contract

Battle frees up Sicily a hell of a lot, so it's a double win for the Hawks
If Sicily was any free now, he'd be on an island .....he's terrible one on one, a failed FWD because of it ...who reads the ball beautifully though

Luke Ryan beats him hands down ....at least he can play one on one

No way we giving a first round + playing 1m each year for luko.

Suns will want that salary off their books
Spot on .....it's either a subsidised Contract, GC paying a proportion + a late first round pick

OR we take the Contract, and it's a late 2nd round pick .....of course we will amortise his current Contract payments into a new 5 year Contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back