Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield is our best attacking weapon.

If you're talking about 2022 Guthrie, then sure. But Tuohy was also a composed, deadly ball user 2 years ago. We need to actually know Cam still has it.

Danger is also a great defensive player.

And i mean yeh i literally said “a big if” regarding Guthrie getting back to his best

Danger is also a great defensive player.

And i mean yeh i literally said “a big if” regarding Guthrie getting back to his best
I am not counting on Guthrie. He was pretty average the handful of games he returned and looked a very ordinary player. I don’t have a lot of faith he will come back and make an impact

Latest injury list:

Conway done for season
Bruhn a test for this week
Cam Guthrie three weeks
Hawkins 3-5

Navicular really worries me given its history in big guys.

Cuthrie is cooked for 2024 as well.

Loch Ness going back into hibernation.

I am shocked to be sitting here

Conway and edwards both down and people still telling me we dont need to trade in a ruck for next year 🤦‍♂️

That's about it daz.
Hot spot is reaction, can be non-specific and usually seen on MRI or Bone scan.
If a CT scan is done and shows it to be a crack(fracture) the hot spot was in fact a stress fracture.
But it can also be that continuum- hot spot, stress reaction, stress fracture, and the worst is complete fracture.
A fracture from a stress fracture is pretty devastating.(worse than a new complete fracture from trauma)
perfect thx mate

Go Catters

Bowes, Bruhn, Holmes and Dangerfield aren't defensive at all.

Stewart has good skills.
Guthrie’s skills as a mid relied a lot on burst getting clear and delivery. I would say his age and the nature of his injuries would almost certainly hamper those abilities, particularly the time of the season that he is likely to return. He may have something to offer next year but I would say his 2024 is pretty much done.

Guthrie’s skills as a mid relied a lot on burst getting clear and delivery. I would say his age and the nature of his injuries would almost certainly hamper those abilities, particularly the time of the season that he is likely to return. He may have something to offer next year but I would say his 2024 is pretty much done.
Sadly yes. Zac has carried on the Guthrie name superbly, and I hope wins our B & F.
Bit like Ian and Bruce Nankervis.
Ian had 3 B&F'S, Bruce 2. Remarkable really.

Last edited:
Going to be interesting.

If Bruhn comes in and finds really good form. We have danger, Stewart, Bruhn Atkins and Bowes (who is better play mid imo) supported by Blitz and Holmes. That is a rotation of 7 players through 3 possessions. 5 if you say Holmes is predominantly back and blitz wing/ruck…. And I have left out Clark

Guthrie would want to be 2022 version for us to disrupt what we currently have (unless our form drops off over next 5 weeks)
Much as we don't want to admit it, the likelihood that all of these players as well as Guthrie remain fit and available for selection throughout a potential finals campaign is not astronomically high. And that's before you even consider the MRO lotto that might ensue when players are throwing themselves into the fray in high stakes games.

So the problem of 'where to fit Player X in' might easily become the issue of how to fill the gaps left by the absences of Player Y and Player Z. On that basis, then, I'm happy to just get everyone up and running and hopefully have the headache of working out which really handy player to leave out after that. Doesn't often actually get to that situation, when I think back over my 40+ years of following the hoops.

Question becomes do we pick him?

Scotty was very non-committal when asked about it last week.
Would depend on the situation I suppose. Do we need to win the last game to make the finals or top 4?

I know it is only WCE and they probably would have put the cue in the rack, but the club would have to weigh up the risks of a lumbering old player that hadn't played for several weeks against a win/loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 19 ​

PlayerInjuryExpected Return
Tanner BruhnScaphoidTest
Oli WiltshirePelvis2 weeks
Cameron GuthrieAchilles3 weeks
Tom HawkinsFoot3-5 weeks
Mitch EdwardsBackTBC
Toby ConwayFootSeason (2025)

Tanner Bruhn is the only one to come back this year outside of a decimated forward line then Tommy would be in the frame if available. I've wrote Guthrie off for this year he'd be a huge risk, him and Tom might get the W/C game if it's a dead rubber.

Where the hell did Mitch Edwards gone for the year come from?

I knew he had a back issue early doors... then about Rd13 played managed time... played a few weeks in fact and then disappeared.

Word I got was not the same issue but now he's out for season?

What happened?

GO Catters

I knew he had a back issue early doors... then about Rd13 played managed time... played a few weeks in fact and then disappeared.

What happened?

GO Catters

Sounds like it's a different issue and they've decided to rest him up ahead of a big pre-season:

Developing ruck Mitch Edwards has unfortunately been ruled out for the remainder of the season with an ongoing back complaint.

“Mitch has had to contend with a couple of back concerns this season, so we’re taking the conservative approach and looking to get his body right for 2025,” Johnson said.

“He’s a young and developing ruck, so we want to make sure we’re prioritising his long-term health and development.”

I've just read that Parfitt is also an addition to the injury list - broken hand

Not sure if that was during the match or has happened at training as there's been no other mention of it

Conway and edwards both down and people still telling me we dont need to trade in a ruck for next year 🤦‍♂️
Given a list size of 38 players how many pure ruckmen should be on a list. I'm not sure if Furphy as a CAT B rookie is counted in the list cap or is outside of it. We will have Conway, Edwards, Furphy and whoever we get in if we go for another ruck. That will be 4 out of 38 (which we already have with Stanley), that is just over 10% of the list numbers. How many is too many? Perhaps the question is if we are to have 4 how many should be development versus mature rucks. Is 1 and 3 the right number or should it be 2 and 2?

Given a list size of 38 players how many pure ruckmen should be on a list. I'm not sure if Furphy as a CAT B rookie is counted in the list cap or is outside of it. We will have Conway, Edwards, Furphy and whoever we get in if we go for another ruck. That will be 4 out of 38 (which we already have with Stanley), that is just over 10% of the list numbers. How many is too many? Perhaps the question is if we are to have 4 how many should be development versus mature rucks. Is 1 and 3 the right number or should it be 2 and 2?

List sizes are 44 players:
  • Minimum of 38 senior listed players
  • Maximum of 6 rookies

You reach the 44 by a combination of the above, so this year we've got 40 senior listed & 4 rookies

And then teams can have 2 x Cat B rookies (Irish / International players, or those from non-traditional backgrounds such as other sports) and they sit outside the list

What happened?

GO Catters

This IS the GFC we're dealing with here - the masters of subterfuge, obsfucation and deception - so who knows?!

Fair chance he's gone in for a back scan and they've amputated his legs instead.

Who knows.

He is probably never going to be the same even if he returns.

It is very rare players his age after such a layoff return to an elite level.
The first 10 seconds were brilliant this year, in that praccy game v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back