Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Woohoo - the return of TBC 😎

Gary Rohan has entered the AFL’s concussion protocols following the game against North Melbourne.

After being subbed out in the third quarter, Geelong Cats Assistant General Manager – Football Brett Johnson said the Club would assess Rohan’s progress as he worked through the concussion protocols.

“We’ll assess each day how Gary is tracking, and we’ll know more as he progresses around availability to play in the coming weeks. We’ll ensure Gary is well looked after,” Johnson said.

In exciting news, Tom Atkins (back) and Oli Wiltshire (pelvis) have both recovered from their respective injuries and will be available for selection.
“Tom has progressed well and hasn’t missed a beat with his rehab after he was a late withdrawal against the Bulldogs,” Johnson said.

“It is a long season, and we took the conservative approach with Tom to make sure he is ready to attack the back end of the year.

“Oli has worked through a pelvis issue and has ticked all the boxes. With the VFL team having the bye this weekend, he will get his chance to return next week when we play Carlton’s VFL team.”

Cameron Guthrie continues to work through his recovery, preparing for a return to play, with the Club to provide a specific timeline in the coming weeks.

Tom Hawkins is recovering from his foot injury and remains three weeks away.

Geelong takes on Adelaide at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday at 4.35pm.

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 21

PlayerInjuryExpected Return
Tom HawkinsFoot3 weeks
Gary RohanConcussionTBC
Cameron GuthrieAchillesTBC
Mitch EdwardsBackSeason
Toby ConwayFootSeason

Can’t be a good sign for Guthrie that he has gone from 3 weeks to TBC. You’d have to write off any chance of getting Guthrie of 2022 back this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t be a good sign for Guthrie that he has gone from 3 weeks to TBC. You’d have to write off any chance of getting Guthrie of 2022 back this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The opposite imho.
Could be as early as VFL this week if no bye

The last half of that sentence - 'with the club to provide a specific timeline in the coming weeks' - doesn't suggest VFL any time soon, let alone AFL.

Well, not to me anyway.
We shall see. I know nothing, but it sounded cautiously optimistic to me.
Perhaps wishful thinking on my part- Cam has been my MVP in the past.

I would suggest there is a close to zero % chance of seeing Guth again this season. The line about providing an update in coming weeks is pretty telling

Looking forward to seeing Wiltshire back in action. The kid has it, I just hope his body holds up.
Needs a big summer.

He's got skill, but he's built like a 14 year old at present.

Even Dempsey who's not a colossus had to reach a certain size so his game could translate to AFL footy, and have the confidence that he could hold up physically.

Wiltshire does that and he's got a shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too early to know but SDK knee could be the final nail in the 2024 coffin.

Id rather have his knee be ok and still miss finals than make 24 Finals and have his ACL be buggered.

Guess he'll have scans and MRI today or monday....

Either way, id expect him out for Freo clash so we are gonna have to figure out a tall KPD or at least shuffle the deck chairs.

GO Catters

Too early to know but SDK knee could be the final nail in the 2024 coffin.

Id rather have his knee be ok and still miss finals than make 24 Finals and have his ACL be buggered.

Guess he'll have scans and MRI today or monday....

Either way, id expect him out for Freo clash so we are gonna have to figure out a tall KPD or at least shuffle the deck chairs.

GO Catters
All the noise from Scott post-game was extremely positive, said SDK could have returned to the field if needed, and is likely to play next week. Given how risk averse he is talking about injuries, I don’t think he would have shared this info unless the medicos were 100% confident 🤞

Mmmm SDK.
Fingers crossed it's nothing major.
But... Geez... A big bodied Fijian would be really handy about now to fill that void.

He would if he had a football brain but he doesnt.

Also hes not worth a 5 year contract.

He would if he had a football brain but he doesnt.

Also hes not worth a 5 year contract.
I love Sav he is one of the nicest people i have ever met but no he isn't worth 5 years and especially at what Port are paying him.

Also when it comes to footy IQ he is just dumb i would rather call COS up or use Blics in defence

I love Sav he is one of the nicest people i have ever met but no he isn't worth 5 years and especially at what Port are paying him.

Also when it comes to footy IQ he is just dumb i would rather call COS up or use Blics in defence

Same here. Wonderful human being, average footballer. Sums up ports recruiting.

I liked Blicavs in the defensive role. He has been less effective running the lines in recent times anyway.

How Sdk can go down like that in excruciating pain and possibly be available next week is crazy.
It is something that is very painful for about 10 minutes…then is ok. Similar to a dislocation (in terms of pain but then relief when “back in”).

I would not be surprised to see him named…and then take some back up just in case late out. will completely depend on how he feels next week.

Wonder whether they need a more permanent solution over the summer if it keeps happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back