Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finn Maginness has 2 big roles in the finals

1. Tag Ed Richards
2. Tag Tom Stewart

Contain those 2 and we get to the Prelim, Or win it if we face the Cats.

Cam Mackenzie to shine in Day's position and show what a future star this kid will be.

I can't see CJ getting up after watching him struggle for Box Hill on the weekend.

To select a team with Morrison, Maginness, and Ward all in at the same time is going to be a bit odd.

Pick two of them but not all 3. How does it benefit the team to have so much of the same type of player?

IMO one of them to make way for a tall, Jai Serong is my guess as his earned his call up, and in order to add some height to the back to cover some of the WB tall timber and free up Sicily and Weddle.

Going to be a tough game, win this and sky's the limit, whatever happens with the outcome it's been a wonderful ride to watch the young hawks shine under Sam Mitchell's and game plan and playing finals earlier then anyone of us ever exepted us too.

The future is looking great again for the HFC.

Go Hawks..!

IMO one of them to make way for a tall, Jai Serong is my guess as his earned his call up, and in order to add some height to the back to cover some of the WB tall timber and free up Sicily and Weddle.
Had multiple opportunities to bring in Serong and resisted the urge, can’t see them doing it in a final, the back 6 is rock solid albeit short.

Had multiple opportunities to bring in Serong and resisted the urge, can’t see them doing it in a final, the back 6 is rock solid albeit short.
Serong had his best game last year at AFL level, putting in a strong showing in Hawthorn's loss to Fremantle in Round 24. Locking down on some of the Dockers best forwards, Serong was also able to find 15 disposals of his own, including four intercept possessions, five spoils and seven marks.

Add that to a further full year of development in the VFL smashing the door down continually to get back in to the seniors it could be Mitchell's and the clubs surprise selection that none of us expected to see😉

Last edited:
Win this week and we’d be a sniff to steal Harley Reid. Talk about a destination club. Let’s not get carried away though. Got to win first. It’s a shame Day will miss.

Finn Maginness has 2 big roles in the finals

1. Tag Ed Richards
2. Tag Tom Stewart

Contain those 2 and we get to the Prelim, Or win it if we face the Cats.
Don’t even know if Finn comes in, but if he does I doubt he tags.

Hey everyone,

I have been absent for a few years. Not that any of you would remember me but kind of reintroducing myself.

I've read through every post so far and everyone's focus is one of the three main topics:

1. Who comes in or goes out
2. Weather
3. And one and two combined.

Let me tell you, it won't make much difference whether it rains or not, whether we tag or not tag, whether Maginness, CJ, Serong or Ward comes in or not. These teams are both in form and that's why it's hard to predict.

Here's where the game will be decided: coaches box and execution of plan on the day. Whoever does that best will win. Who has done that better this season? Sam has already shown he's a genius. And he would be relishing the chance to do something no other coach has ever done. Hold on to your seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prelim Preview, here are my thoughts... Happy reading!

Back/fwd:
Duryea - Watson: Duryea will be solid 1-1, key is for Watson to keep active and trouble Duryea for speed by going up the ground and back to the F50.
Jones - Gunston: Important for Gunners to keep Jones occupied to limit the amount of intercept marks from Jones. Gunners has played this role to a tee during the season against the likes of Weitering and Taylor and has also managed to hit the scoreboard with multiple goals.
O'Donnell - Dear: I haven't seen much of O'Donnell but Dear's leap and ability in the air should see him with multiple shots of goal throughout the game. He will need to convert early to get the confidence up. Scoreboard impact will also help lift the team.

Half back/half fwd:
Bramble - Ginnivan: Bramble will try to provide drive coming off D50 and Ginni is going to try and get a few out the back. Interesting to see who reads the play better but Ginni is a chance to get multiple goals this game as the Bramble matchup can be exploited.
Lobb - Chol: Similar to the Gunners role, Chol doesn't necessarily need to hit the scoreboard heavily but he'll need to occupy Lobb so he doesn't get an easy mark in D50. Might be worth dragging Lobb away from goal as this will make it harder for him to track the ball when it's delivered inside 50.
Dale - MacDonald: Do we try to lock down Dale and limit MacDonald's creative flair or is this going to be a head to head where each player has their own license? I get the feeling MacDonald's primary role will be to sit on Dale but look to create from opportunities that bob up.

C:
Richards - Newcombe: Two hard nosed bulls going at it. Richards and Newc can burst out of stoppage but it will be interesting to see if either can impact the scoreboard. 1 or 2 goals from these players will be a big bonus for either team.
Treloar - Moore: We are probably a quality midfielder short with Day being out but Moore will have stints in the middle and may even play there more given our forward line is stacked with smalls already. Treloar is going to rack up the possessions so it's critical he doesn't get too many clean looks delivering inside 50.
Williams - D'Ambrosio: Williams could be used as an outlet coming out of the D50 and will trouble Mass for height. Important for someone like Scrim or Weddle to influence the contest. Mass is going to be key to bringing the ball into our D50, needs to keep running all day.

Half fwd/half back:
Ugle-Hagan - Weddle: Weddle matches up well against Ugle-Hagan. It will depend on whether we can prevent clean entries to Ugle-Hagan on the lead. Look for Weddle to give us some drive out of D50.
Naughton - Scrimshaw: Again, a pretty decent matchup for us provided the mids don't deliver on a platter to Naughton. He will also trouble Scrim one on one if it's a test of strength.
Daniel - Sicily: Sis will look to peel off and help as third man up. May even be switched forward if his shoulder isn't up to it but in recent weeks seems to have a bit more confidence. I haven't seen much of Daniel in his new forward role.

Fwd/back:
Weightman - Hardwick: This will be a great matchup as both have similar attributes on the ground and in the air. Hardwick usually does the job for us so look for Weightman to be shut down.
Darcy - Frost: Darcy will trouble us with his reach so it'll be up to the mids to pressure the ball carrier. Frost is going to be solid for us in the one on ones where the ball is delivered around/below shoulder height.
Vandermeer - Amon: Amon is going to be important for our drive out from D50. Looks for Vandermeer to try and add heat at all times.

Foll:
English - Meek: English has the leap and could be a threat floating forward. Meek's bash and crash style will cause headaches for English.
Bontempelli - Nash: Bont is going to do Bont things but Nash matches up well physically and needs to be switched on all game to prevent him from getting off the chain.
Liberatore - Worpel: Battle of the two hard nosed mids. Worps has a better burst out of stoppage but Libba is going to be in and under getting it out to the likes of Bont and Richards. If Worps can get his hands on it first that will go a long way to nullifying Libba.

I/C:
McNeil - Mackenzie: Mackenzie has shown recently he is willing to hold onto the ball more and get through traffic before giving it off. He just needs to work hard to ensure we get the most out of his talent. McNeil I've not seen this year but was plodding along at VFL level last season.
Freijah - Maginness/CJ: Maginness/CJ have the edge here. They are more experienced and it should convert to better output under the pressure of an elimination final.
Gallagher - Impey: Impey is going to be another to provide drive from the back half. Can also lock down if required on someone like West if he comes in.
Macrae - Morrison: Morrison stays in for mine. You know what you're getting with Harry and he'll put in a 7/8 out of 10 game. Macrae has dropped off this year as he hasn't been played in his usual role but is still capable of racking up possessions.

Sub:
A. Jones/West - Breust: Impey would be the perfect matchup for Jones or West. Meanwhile Breust's forward craft and ability to impact on limited minutes could really
shape the result if it's a close one.

Prelim Preview, here are my thoughts... Happy reading!

Back/fwd:
Duryea - Watson: Duryea will be solid 1-1, key is for Watson to keep active and trouble Duryea for speed by going up the ground and back to the F50.
Jones - Gunston: Important for Gunners to keep Jones occupied to limit the amount of intercept marks from Jones. Gunners has played this role to a tee during the season against the likes of Weitering and Taylor and has also managed to hit the scoreboard with multiple goals.
O'Donnell - Dear: I haven't seen much of O'Donnell but Dear's leap and ability in the air should see him with multiple shots of goal throughout the game. He will need to convert early to get the confidence up. Scoreboard impact will also help lift the team.

Half back/half fwd:
Bramble - Ginnivan: Bramble will try to provide drive coming off D50 and Ginni is going to try and get a few out the back. Interesting to see who reads the play better but Ginni is a chance to get multiple goals this game as the Bramble matchup can be exploited.
Lobb - Chol: Similar to the Gunners role, Chol doesn't necessarily need to hit the scoreboard heavily but he'll need to occupy Lobb so he doesn't get an easy mark in D50. Might be worth dragging Lobb away from goal as this will make it harder for him to track the ball when it's delivered inside 50.
Dale - MacDonald: Do we try to lock down Dale and limit MacDonald's creative flair or is this going to be a head to head where each player has their own license? I get the feeling MacDonald's primary role will be to sit on Dale but look to create from opportunities that bob up.

C:
Richards - Newcombe: Two hard nosed bulls going at it. Richards and Newc can burst out of stoppage but it will be interesting to see if either can impact the scoreboard. 1 or 2 goals from these players will be a big bonus for either team.
Treloar - Moore: We are probably a quality midfielder short with Day being out but Moore will have stints in the middle and may even play there more given our forward line is stacked with smalls already. Treloar is going to rack up the possessions so it's critical he doesn't get too many clean looks delivering inside 50.
Williams - D'Ambrosio: Williams could be used as an outlet coming out of the D50 and will trouble Mass for height. Important for someone like Scrim or Weddle to influence the contest. Mass is going to be key to bringing the ball into our D50, needs to keep running all day.

Half fwd/half back:
Ugle-Hagan - Weddle: Weddle matches up well against Ugle-Hagan. It will depend on whether we can prevent clean entries to Ugle-Hagan on the lead. Look for Weddle to give us some drive out of D50.
Naughton - Scrimshaw: Again, a pretty decent matchup for us provided the mids don't deliver on a platter to Naughton. He will also trouble Scrim one on one if it's a test of strength.
Daniel - Sicily: Sis will look to peel off and help as third man up. May even be switched forward if his shoulder isn't up to it but in recent weeks seems to have a bit more confidence. I haven't seen much of Daniel in his new forward role.

Fwd/back:
Weightman - Hardwick: This will be a great matchup as both have similar attributes on the ground and in the air. Hardwick usually does the job for us so look for Weightman to be shut down.
Darcy - Frost: Darcy will trouble us with his reach so it'll be up to the mids to pressure the ball carrier. Frost is going to be solid for us in the one on ones where the ball is delivered around/below shoulder height.
Vandermeer - Amon: Amon is going to be important for our drive out from D50. Looks for Vandermeer to try and add heat at all times.

Foll:
English - Meek: English has the leap and could be a threat floating forward. Meek's bash and crash style will cause headaches for English.
Bontempelli - Nash: Bont is going to do Bont things but Nash matches up well physically and needs to be switched on all game to prevent him from getting off the chain.
Liberatore - Worpel: Battle of the two hard nosed mids. Worps has a better burst out of stoppage but Libba is going to be in and under getting it out to the likes of Bont and Richards. If Worps can get his hands on it first that will go a long way to nullifying Libba.

I/C:
McNeil - Mackenzie: Mackenzie has shown recently he is willing to hold onto the ball more and get through traffic before giving it off. He just needs to work hard to ensure we get the most out of his talent. McNeil I've not seen this year but was plodding along at VFL level last season.
Freijah - Maginness/CJ: Maginness/CJ have the edge here. They are more experienced and it should convert to better output under the pressure of an elimination final.
Gallagher - Impey: Impey is going to be another to provide drive from the back half. Can also lock down if required on someone like West if he comes in.
Macrae - Morrison: Morrison stays in for mine. You know what you're getting with Harry and he'll put in a 7/8 out of 10 game. Macrae has dropped off this year as he hasn't been played in his usual role but is still capable of racking up possessions.

Sub:
A. Jones/West - Breust: Impey would be the perfect matchup for Jones or West. Meanwhile Breust's forward craft and ability to impact on limited minutes could really
shape the result if it's a close one.
Great analysis Hawkers88 👍

For me the big match ups are Meek vs English and Worps vs Libba.

We get wins in those two matchups and we are well on the way towards winning.

Fun fact (Sammy just mentioned it on 360) - Hawks only conceded 27 points more than the best defence in the AFL - the Bulldogs.

Another fun fact - first 5 rounds Hawks let in 492 - dogs let in 397.

:think:
Actually even worse when you go to round 7, at 678 - 556.

When you consider that the Swans had only conceded 493 points at that stage, a turnaround of just under 200 points defensively over the rest of the season to finish ahead of the Swans in points against is pretty crazy.

Went from the worst offense and the 3rd worst defence to 6th in both metrics from Rd 8 - 24.

Hey everyone,

I have been absent for a few years. Not that any of you would remember me but kind of reintroducing myself.

I've read through every post so far and everyone's focus is one of the three main topics:

1. Who comes in or goes out
2. Weather
3. And one and two combined.

Let me tell you, it won't make much difference whether it rains or not, whether we tag or not tag, whether Maginness, CJ, Serong or Ward comes in or not. These teams are both in form and that's why it's hard to predict.

Here's where the game will be decided: coaches box and execution of plan on the day. Whoever does that best will win. Who has done that better this season? Sam has already shown he's a genius. And he would be relishing the chance to do something no other coach has ever done. Hold on to your seats.
I think, and it's just a guess, just chewing the wind, just ruminating on past events and comparing it to this one... But I reckon it comes down to whoever has the highest score when the final siren goes.

I think, and it's just a guess, just chewing the wind, just ruminating on past events and comparing it to this one... But I reckon it comes down to whoever has the highest score when the final siren goes.

The most grumbleguts reply I’ve seen for a while

Win this week and we’d be a sniff to steal Harley Reid. Talk about a destination club. Let’s not get carried away though. Got to win first. It’s a shame Day will miss.
Lol.

"Guys, win this week, we're a great chance Harley Reid will be at Hawthorn."

"Guys, also, don't get ahead of yourself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back