Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened earlier this year is the best thing that could have happened to this group. It galvanised them and ironically it will be the reason as to why there’s no taking Port lightly this week as it was this mob that gave us the pain earlier on and taught us so many lessons
Can’t see us losing

Yes. I have just never seen an injury that has had such an indefinite recovery period before. They usually dial in a recovery period within a week or two. It would have been more realistic if they had said “We doubt he will get it right again in 2024 but we will hope for the best” rather than come out with the positive report that it’s not broken which makes it sound like he’ll be right, then painfully drag out the fact that it’s still going to take many weeks to heal.

Will Day (SC Joint) - TBC

“He’s doing a lot of non-contact training at the moment and plenty of conditioning, which is fantastic. We’re just not in a position to progress to contact, so the joint stability, the integrity of that needs to have improved and we’re not at a level where it has, and that’s a really important part of making this decision to progress to contact, the stability around the SC Joint. So at this stage, we’re still in the same situation that we can do a lot of training around it but we can’t do contact and if we can’t do contact training, we can’t play, so that’s frustrating. But Will is a professional, he’s doing everything he can and he’s certainly working really, really hard on his game. If you were out here today, he’s doing some non-contact football drills, he looks fantastic, but we’re just not in a position to progress yet, unfortunately.”

View attachment 2106021
Will day is basically a test each week. What the club is showing is that they wont risk him without doing a solid few days of contact training. So made the call on a Monday that contact training wasn't ready. He may be ready for contact training on Thursday so if we win we'll just declare he's playing.

His injury will never heal. There isn't a risk it will get worse from playing. It just hurts still. When it stops hurting he can play.

Reality is from what Spida said about this particularly injury he has reached the bare minimum time required to get it right to play at the end of the week (4 weeks). If we win the real countdown will start IMO regarding him getting up for the Prelim. Never thought we were going to risk him on Friday as we just don't operate like that. Port on the other hand will roll the dice on Butters as there depth is terrible which is why they have players hampered through a finals campaign.
Everett did not have the same injury. AND he did his in week 1 of finals. Day did his in the 2nd last game + had a bye week off.

From Everett in 2018 recounting the 1997 injury.

"He flushed me beautifully and I broke my collarbone.

Unfortunately from there I knew it was going to be four to six weeks for a collarbone and I kind of look at today’s footy and I think would you have put a screw and a couple of ties in there and played?"

So Day missing the Semi Final is so far 4 weeks out for his SC joint. NOT a broken collar bone.

Does Dimma take Rioli? Or do we send him to Georgiades, their most dangerous fwd?
Dimma goes to Rioli. Last time around Seamus was on Rioli and Dimma was forward.

Scrimshaw goes to Georgiades, Weddle to Marshall and Phillips/Serong to Ratugolea. Sicily will have Jed McEntee for company throughout the game.

They know that they have a good chance of winning

I walked out of the 2021 Prelim at 3QT and have gone to one game since (dragged along to R1 2023 by the misso under sufferance).

None of these debacles at home under lights is remotely a surprise.

Can we win? Of course. Will we? No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma goes to Rioli. Last time around Seamus was on Rioli and Dimma was forward.

Scrimshaw goes to Georgiades, Weddle to Marshall and Phillips/Serong to Ratugolea. Sicily will have Jed McEntee for company throughout the game.
wouldn't be surprised if they stick with Dixon to stretch our defence

Last year, the side who finished 7th and won their elimination final at the MCG travelled to Adelaide Oval to play Port, fresh off their qualifying final defeat.

This was the outcome.

View attachment 2106624

Let's make history repeat!

To expand upon this point:

IMG_1065.jpeg

If not daylight (where the corresponding numbers approach 65-70% give or take twilight fixtures), I’d genuinely feel more confident playing this one at Marvel or the G.

Just an absolutely baffling record home record in night games, over such a long time so it can’t be written off as a small sample size/blip, for a relatively strong team that has been favourite going into 90% of these fixtures.

And the media keeps selling the presumption that “beating Port over there is one of the hardest assignments in football!”.

Crazy pills.

What a great story. The team earlier in the year that broke us but more than likely drove us to what we are now. Now we get another chance and redemption is ours for the taking.

Day for Finn or possibly Ward. Ward played a better game but he also attended at the centre square where Day will spend a lot of his time. If Day comes in Ward gets pushed out (will still attend some but not as much). So it's more like for like. Taking Finn out would mean restructuring Wards role and they might back Finn to be more flexible. Hard call but trust the coaches to make the right one.

What a wonderful 300 games for Luke Breust. Think he becomes the first player off the rookie list to hit that milestone? Too bad it won't be at a packed out G (you had one job Geelong).

Moore was quiet last night but I expect him to be at his AA best for his 100.
It seems like no matter what Ward does he can't satisfy us.

I think it will just be Phillips to play on either Ratugolea or Dixon. 1 of those 2 will definately play for the 2nd ruck role. The other will be left out for Marshall. Phillips is a good match up for either of those 2 with similar mobility and physicality. Serong may be too undersized for those 2. Scrimshaw and Weddle for Georgiades and Marshall.
So 1 change Frost OUT Phillips IN
I think they may consider CJ for Finn given no Houston or Farrell. Interesting to what they do with this.

Exactly. When did Australia become a bunch of anally retentive, up tight busybodies? The whole frickin continent has bought into the idea that we live in a certified “No Fun Zone”.
Seriously?

Keith Dunstan wrote the book Wowsers in the 1970s drawing on examples from the start of white colonisation up to then.
Patrick White wrote the play A Cheery Soul in 1963. This level of petty condemnation isn't new by any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back