Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They will majorly regret going 4 talls up forward if that's their decision.

They just played a game in which they couldn't defend run and carry and high work rate small forwards beating them back towards goals after turnovers.

We just played a game where we ran a team off their feet despite their aerial prowess and height up front.

Maybe the secret Ken Hinkley genius plan is going over my head but I'm not convinced.

They will majorly regret going 4 talls up forward if that's their decision.

They just played a game in which they couldn't defend run and carry and high work rate small forwards beating them back towards goals after turnovers.

We just played a game where we ran a team off their feet despite their aerial prowess and height up front.

Maybe the secret Ken Hinkley genius plan is going over my head but I'm not convinced.
It's pretty clear they want to expose Phillips. It's his 2nd game of AFL. Fair enough.

I agree with everything you said here...but then I listened to Hawks Radio where Crawf went from 'are we getting carried away here?' as Dippa went wild after a goal...to ''We're going to the Grand Final boys!' lol in an hilarious, unbridled turnaround.

So, I think it is what it is....we dream big and enjoy every moment. Frosty with an injury out of nowhere is reminder enough it can all end at any moment.

There's no dark cloud of missed opportunity hanging over us. We literally have nothing to lose. It's a rare and charmed place to be.

But I totally agree...we will have to bring 4 quarters on Friday. We must.

Not having a go at you here Viddiot, but gee I hate this statement. These players play AFL to play in and win finals.

We have plenty to lose. This week we have the chance to make a Prelim, lose and we are out. I'd say that's a lot to lose.

If we win this week, next week we have a chance to win a place in a GF. That would be a massive loss.

It's pretty clear they want to expose Phillips. It's his 2nd game of AFL. Fair enough.
Would be amusing if we named him and then pulled him as a late out. Play russian roulette with their shit talls against our undersized but lethal running backs. Sides have been trying to exploit our weakness down back all year, but if their talls don't mark it, it backfires terribly. Hogan the only one who really got hold of us. Port don't have a Hogan

Dixon/Marshall/Rat/Georgiades would be incredibly vulnerable to our run and carry. There's little to no pressure there.

That's flat tyre territory if they roll that lot out at the same time. The only name missing is Randall Bone.

It's either mark or give up a rebound 50.

Not much margin for error.

Seems like they might be foxing. Surely Hinkley wouldn't revert to a 1990s forward line against the bounciest defense to have played the game?

Would be surprised if Port played the four talls. There is some logic to it but a forward group of Dixon/Marshall/Rat/Georgiades would be incredibly vulnerable to our run and carry. There's little to no pressure there.

In the periods where we start winning the midfield battle, we'll slaughter them with that setup.
Marshall could be used up the ground to win the aerial contests as a roaming link up forward, just how Richmond dominated us in the second quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall could be used up the ground to win the aerial contests as a roaming link up forward, just how Richmond dominated us in the second quarter.

Potentially but few clubs use this strategy. It can create some advantageous situations but Marshall on a wing isn't going to be able to chase Massimo or run hard defensively to cover our rebounding defenders. It's also very rare to change your strategy so drastically deep into finals.

More likely to just drop Dixon for Marshall so they have more mobility. Dixon really was a liability against Geelong.

We have to bring our ground ball game, and take the game on.

It’s when we play our best footy. Take the options when we can by foot and apply scoreboard pressure early.

Port should come out breathing fire and I believe they will try to target our boys, but we just have to be in the right frame of mind and take the meterage like the Cats did with our run and dare, to give our forward a chance to shine.

Nervous, but confident we can get it done if we bring our best.

I think if they play 4 talls it would be an absolutely Hinkley masterstroke.

It would totally stretch our undersized defense. Bulldogs tried it but they don't have three quality talls like Dixon and Rataguilia. They could bring in Todd Marchall as well, he would really apply pressure to the undersized and undermanned defense.

Man, getting so nervous about this game.

Do it - hawthorn will relish 4 talls. If the ball hits the ground there will be no resistance coming out of defence.

Adelaide also went overly tall against us back in July and we beat them by 66 points; we had record for scores from the back half. If Ken thought Dixon was good selection against Geelong, he has more reason to think it will be good against our backline now.

It, as always, will come down to the midfield performance. If their mids are collecting the ball and have time to deliver to a forest of talls’ advantage, we’ll look bad in defense. If their mids are under extreme pressure and are just bombing in, then we’ll have third men coming in left and right to spoil and intercept, as per the Doggies.

That’s really a truth no matter who Port name. We’ll be faster and more mobile. The more chaotic the ball is inside the defensive 50, the more we’ll dominate.

I’m betting on…

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back