Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe the overconfidence in this thread.
Port home final. Port finished 2nd. Butters cleared to play. Loser of the qualifying final traditionally bounce back the next week. Hawks missing Frost, Day and McKenzie.

I expect the Hawks will put in a good showing. But i think Port should be going in as slight favourites. Come on, no Frost and Day. Port will bounce back. It will be a close game.
We defeat port in round 10 and we finish second and they finish outside the top 4.

Port home final. Port finished 2nd. Butters cleared to play. Loser of the qualifying final traditionally bounce back the next week. Hawks missing Frost, Day and McKenzie.

I expect the Hawks will put in a good showing. But i think Port should be going in as slight favourites. Come on, no Frost and Day. Port will bounce back. It will be a close game.

nope-nah.gif

Day and Frost are huge outs which has me feeling no where near as confident as i otherwise would be. Away from home as well gives me a bad feeling abotu this game...

Unfortunately i reckon we only win by 40 points now :sob:

Supremely confident we are going to win this - and win comfortably. I have total confidence in Sam and the coaching staff to pull this through.

It's a meaningless stat.

The fact that every single (11/11 literally 100%) of clubs that got thumped in their QF in the past 25yrs have turned it around and won its SF the following week is meaningless? To me that’s not meaningless. To me it says that teams that get pantsed in that first week without exception get a reality check and come out the next week breathing fire.

Last edited:
The fact that every single (11/11 literally 100%) of clubs that got thumped in their QF in the past 25yrs have turned it around and won its SF the following week is meaningless? To me that’s not meaningless. To me it says that teams that get pantsed in that first week without exception get a reality check and coming out the next week breathing fire.
8 out of the last 10 years one team has went out straight sets. Port lost their first final last year by 48 and went out in straight sets, so we just ignored that result because they only lost by 8 goals and not 10. At what point do we just cherry pick stats to suit an agenda?

When Hawthorn and the Bulldog meet in a final series, one of them makes the Grand Final. Surely this means Hawthorn are grand final bound?

The fact that every single (11/11 literally 100%) of clubs that got thumped in their QF in the past 25yrs have turned it around and won its SF the following week is meaningless? To me that’s not meaningless. To me it says that teams that get pantsed in that first week without exception get a reality check and coming out the next week breathing fire.
If you deep dive into that

10/11 teams that lost by 50+ in QF were the away teams. Only Geelong I think in 2017 were the home team.

Port lost an EF last year at home, a PF at home before that and then the QF last week. All at home. It's a rubbish stat because those away teams that lost the QF then played at home the week after.

Right now Port want to play away from AO because once the coach's gameplan stops working in finals (normally evidenced within 5 mins of Q1), the players feel the pressure and freeze.

View attachment 2107197

That is an extremely compelling stat. There is a lot of peacocking in this thread which could look very embarrassing come Friday night.
It's not compelling in any way. Even if it was predictive, which it isn't, this season isn't like other seasons where the top half of the 8 are all statistically the best teams in it with advantages in percentage.

Sydney in 2013 as one example, they finished with a 132% and they bounced back against Carlton who technically finished 9th.

Butters can be as cleared to play as he wants, he is hurting and the ribs is not an ideal place to be sore and as for cleared, they had players last week that were forced to play. We were missing Day and Mackenzie last week and dominated a very strong midfield. We have Frost missing this week but Port don’t have a forward line like the Dogs do either, much weaker in my opinion. JHF supposedly playing injured too. I would much rather have players out of the team than constantly out of position because they are one leg. We have every right to be confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just in this thread. Bookies too..

Screenshot_20240911-062503~2.png

Gamble responsibly.

We are going to batter them.

Book your flights to Sydney now Natio

The overconfidence bothers me a little, because I can distinctly remember two previous times it happened on this board (vs Essendon in 2022 and Geelong this season) and how silly some people looked.

This team is humming in such a different way that it's almost hard NOT to be super confident.

However, we're missing Day and Frost. Playing the team who finished second with plenty to prove. And we'll be kn enemy territory.
I'm content sitting quietly and just watching how it unfolds.

Hoping like hell the boys continue on their merry way and march into a prelim but it isn't going to be easy!

The overconfidence bothers me a little, because I can distinctly remember two previous times it happened on this board (vs Essendon in 2022 and Geelong this season) and how silly some people looked.

This team is humming in such a different way that it's almost hard NOT to be super confident.

However, we're missing Day and Frost. Playing the team who finished second with plenty to prove. And we'll be kn enemy territory.
I'm content sitting quietly and just watching how it unfolds.

Hoping like hell the boys continue on their merry way and march into a prelim but it isn't going to be easy!
We've learnt from every failure.

Now we get Port revenge. That loss needs to cut deep and it does.

We're better now and they're ravaged by injury and missing players too. We can cover our outs.

If we get on top early I would be quietly confident but I agree there seems to be a lot of Hawk supporters that are way way way overconfident, not that it means anything because we can’t control the game.
100%
Means nothing.
Our boys will be in the bubble at present. They jet out for Adelaide tomorrow anyway.

Hot tips for those like me who are making the trip to Adelaide Oval this Friday.
Behind the oval there is a food van area and there is an Indian one that sells delicious butter chicken sauce with chips. If you don’t have any health issues, it is definitely not to be missed!

Also, there are plenty of bars and food outlets within the stands. You can get Vietnamese, Mexican and standard footy fare.

Beverages - beer, wine, port, other spirits and soft drinks.

I’ve been there a few times over the years and it was one of best stadiums to watch footy and you can easily walk around the whole oval. No barriers.

Here’s hoping Hawks get the win!

No Limits!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

IN: Jiath

OUT: Frost (Injured)

B: Hardwick, Sicily, Impey

HB: Scrimshaw, Weddle, Amon

C: Ward, Worpel, D’Ambrosio

HF: Ginnivan, Gunston, Moore

F: Watson, Chol, Dear

R: Meek, Newcombe, Nash

INT: Jiath, Maginness, Morrison, MacDonald, Breust (Sub)

EMG: Serong, Phillips, Mitchell

CJ was terrible in that last Box Hill game. He would need to seriously lift his game! Probably playing in the AFL side along Chol, the wizard and Ginni would fire him up.

Is it inappropriate for Ginnivan (or any player) to be public about expecting to win the game he's about to play in?

Honestly don't see the problem here. It's good natured banter.

Did Port Adelaide not already think that Jack Ginnivan thinks Hawthorn will win? Did anyone?

I love Ginnis spunk. We need more characters in the game instead all the political correct robots.

Best pub in Melbourne to watch Hawks games?

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The London Tavern or Corner Hotel in Richmond
The Duke of Wellington in the city or the Mail Exchange Hotel cnr of Bourke and Spencer for $10 G&Ts

Northside - Rose Hotel Fitzroy
Great Northern Hotel Carlton North
The Victoria Hotel Brunswick

If we get on top early I would be quietly confident but I agree there seems to be a lot of Hawk supporters that are way way way overconfident, not that it means anything because we can’t control the game.

I don’t know for others, but for me it is way more exciting to be fully committed to victory when the result is in doubt and then to taste it, than to sit on the fence and only be excited when the result is beyond doubt. Sure, the loss hurts more this way, but the victory feels so much better. And I’m just here for the entertainment, anyways, and there’s no way to make losing fun.

So, for me it’s charge hard into victory and drink deep when it comes. And when it doesn’t, the there’s always next week or next year to charge hard again. Because in the end, losing doesn’t matter. The seasons over and that’s that. But victory is all upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back