Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serong would be my pick to replace Frost, he isn't a like for like but he has been consistently close to BoG for BH. Phillips has been solid without really knocking on the door so would be a big call to bring him in.

Either way, huge shoes to fill and shattered for Frosty who has been an absolute rock in defence for us all year.

View attachment 2107197

That is an extremely compelling stat. There is a lot of peacocking in this thread which could look very embarrassing come Friday night.
And you also thought we wouldn't even make finals with two games to go, it was over, we were buried. You said we would not, for example be able to overtake GWS's percentage even if they lost both games and we won both of ours. We overtook them in a single game and they won their game.

Since round 8 we have been the best performed team in the competition, top of the ladder with the highest percentage, and top of the league by every statistical measure. It is ridiculous the amount of negativity in this thread, from the faithless negative sooks in here.

The only thing that will look embarrassing even if we lose by 145 points is the people preparing for it to happen. The rest of us will have enjoyed the run right up until it can't continue.

Can we have an extra preview thread for this who think we'll lose? They can so in there are commiserate with each other before it happens. (There's always next year)

The rest of us have seen such an incredible resurgence that we actually are ENJOYING being the best team in it.

Last edited:
And you also thought we wouldn't even make finals with two games to go, it was over, we were buried. You said we would not, for example be able to overtake GWS's percentage even if they lost both games and we won both of ours. We overtook them in a single game and they won their game.

Since round 8 we have been the best performed team in the competition, top of the ladder with the highest percentage, and top of the league by every statistical measure. It is ridiculous the amount of negativity in this thread, from the faithless negative sooks in here.

The only thing that will look embarrassing even if we lose by 145 points is the people preparing for it to happen. The rest of us wull have enjoyed the run right up until it can't continue.

Can we have an extra preview thread for this who think we'll lose? They can so in there are commiserate with each other before it happens. (There's always next year)

The rest of us have seen such an incredible resurgence that we actually are ENJOYING being the best team in it.

It’s crazy how many people haven’t been paying attention this year.

The game has changed, go with it

Devastating blow, you have to feel for Frosty as a person. He's had a career best year, and after essentially an entire career of playing for bottom 6 sides we are poised to potentially make a Preliminary, and who knows what happens from there. He has earned the right to play for some meaningful success.

Next year we have Barrass and Battle joining and there is a chance his spot in the side is in jeopardy.
I know I’m getting a bit ahead of myself here. However, hypothetically if we were to win it all there would definitely be tears of happiness but there would also be many tears of sadness for Frosty.

As you mentioned he’s played in bottom sides his whole career and just had a career best season.

But most importantly, he’s all heart and soul and just a genuinely good person. I would be absolutely gutted for him because he deserves success.

I know I’m getting a bit ahead of myself here. However, hypothetically if we were to win it all there would definitely be tears of happiness but there would also be many tears of sadness for Frosty.

As you mentioned he’s played in bottom sides his whole career and just had a career best season.

But most importantly, he’s all heart and soul and just a genuinely good person. I would be absolutely gutted for him because he deserves success.
Play him as the sub in the GF and don't use him. We are that good.

The fact that every single (11/11 literally 100%) of clubs that got thumped in their QF in the past 25yrs have turned it around and won its SF the following week is meaningless? To me that’s not meaningless. To me it says that teams that get pantsed in that first week without exception get a reality check and come out the next week breathing fire.
The last 2 thrashings in qualifying finals were by 48 and 47 points in Port and Brisbane respectively and both of them lost their next game, they miss out on the stat by 2-3 points. It's just a convenient cut off point. Of the last 5 qualifying finals losses of 5 goals or more, only one won their semi final.

You can slightly change your definition of "thumped" and it reads completely differently, and it's far more recent history.

The last 2 thrashings in qualifying finals were by 48 and 47 points in Port and Brisbane respectively and both of them lost their next game. It's just a convenient cut off point. Of the last 5 qualifying finals losses of 5 goals or more, only one won their semi final.

You can cut off the margin at any point you want if you want to prove a point.
But where we came from meant we are not your average elimination final winner. Usually i would agree, but we're the best team in this thing

But where we came from meant we are not your average elimination final winner. Usually i would agree, but we're the best team in this thing
Idk if you read my post properly lol, I was saying that in recent times the big qualifying final loss has resulted in a loss the next week for the top 4 side, and the 50 point cut off conveniently ignores the only 2 big losses in the last 5 years.

Idk if you read my post properly lol, I was saying that in recent times the big qualifying final loss has resulted in a loss the next week for the top 4 side, and the 50 point cut off conveniently ignores the only 2 big losses in the last 5 years.
Yeah i get all that. It's a cute little stat found to denigrate us.

Of course Montagna led with it haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i get all that. It's a cute little stat found to denigrate us.

Of course Montagna led with it haha
Perhaps even more significant that one of those 2 sides in the last 5 years was Port last year lmao. To be fair, most of the media is tipping Hawthorn and isn't giving that stat much airtime.

It's not compelling in any way. Even if it was predictive, which it isn't, this season isn't like other seasons where the top half of the 8 are all statistically the best teams in it with advantages in percentage.

Sydney in 2013 as one example, they finished with a 132% and they bounced back against Carlton who technically finished 9th.
This. We've never had a season like this where the top 7 went into finals relatively even, or even where 6 and 7 went in as the strongest looking teams. That SF stat means absolutely nothing in a season like this.

The fact is that it's sports, we can say whatever we like on here and it has no impact on the game whatsoever.

Of course Sam and the club will be preparing to throw their best at Port, that's why they're paid what they are and I'm at work typing this post. Their messaging for the last ~8 weeks has been about weekly elimination finals, they are well aware of the stakes.

The team is pulling out a season for the ages and making an absurdly unlikely premiership run partly off the back of confidence and excitement...we may as well come along for the ride and join in while we can. If you can't have some fun during this season you will never be able to. They've given us every reason to be confident.

If I've said some stuff in here that opposition fans are going to quote in response if we happen to lose, who gives a shit, they can revel in my misplaced optimism the same way I do when it happens to other teams, that's footy.

The only thing that will look embarrassing even if we lose by 145 points is the people preparing for it to happen. The rest of us will have enjoyed the run right up until it can't continue.

If the young Hawks show up this Friday with the attitude it will just happen because we have been the best for 15 weeks then they will deserve to be thrashed.

You can enjoy the ride and recognise the dangers at the same time.

Port will be breathing fire.

I’m sure Sam Mitchell will have them prepared for what’s coming.

If the young Hawks show up this Friday with the attitude it will just happen because we have been the best for 15 weeks then they will deserve to be thrashed.
FFS I keep saying this.... but... WE ARE NOT THE PLAYERS. Our complacency means nothing. We are here to enjoy the ride.

You can enjoy the ride and recognise the dangers at the same time.

Port will be breathing fire.

I’m sure Sam Mitchell will have them prepared for what’s coming.
Clamp JHF and DBJ and it's over. Rioli needs a bit of close checking as well. Gets out the back too easy.

I think if they play 4 talls it would be an absolutely Hinkley masterstroke.

It would totally stretch our undersized defense. Bulldogs tried it but they don't have three quality talls like Dixon and Rataguilia. They could bring in Todd Marchall as well, he would really apply pressure to the undersized and undermanned defense.

Man, getting so nervous about this game.

Only thing better than 4 tails, would be FIVE talls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back