Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this team absolutely demolished the swans by 100 points a few weeks ago.....people have very short memories...one bad loss does not diminish their previous 8 weeks of exposed form
Yes, the team did, but that team included Houston and Farrell both of whom were dominant on the night and against us.

They just don't have ready made replacements for the drive those two give.

It's not going to be a walkover for us, but the doom and gloom merchants here are just a bit too much.

I can't see us bringing in a bloke we are about to delist purely because he's 3 cm taller than a player who's been in form all year. Reading through the Box Hill match reports, you will see multiple instances of Littlejohn praising Serong's defensive ability (including playing deep defender, which no one here thinks he does).

“Jai Serong was arguably, along with Seamus, our best defender on the day. His offence has gone to a new level and he’s just really reliable now in his role. We had to slide him across to Shannon Neale who has played some AFL and Jai gave away a lot of height and size in that contest but he got the job done well and really helped take Neale out of the game which is full credit to him.”

"He played a mixture of roles, deep defender and high defender for most of the day. He was just reliable in his performance. But he did have some moments I’m sure he would like again, along with some moments that were really solid. And without him, arguably they would have scored a lot more."

“Jai was arguably the best player on the ground even though we lost. He stood up really strong… and had some really crucial one-on-one wins as a defender. Jai really held us up along with Ethan Phillips.”

“Jai did a great job, played on Callum Brown who has a bit of AFL experience and is quite a dangerous forward if you don’t respect him and Jai did a great job in that space, was able to nullify him but still find a bit of the footy himself and be a real general in our back end.”
He certainly fits the bill of our current backline unit: undersized but strong defensively.

The overconfidence bothers me a little, because I can distinctly remember two previous times it happened on this board (vs Essendon in 2022 and Geelong this season) and how silly some people looked.

This team is humming in such a different way that it's almost hard NOT to be super confident.

However, we're missing Day and Frost. Playing the team who finished second with plenty to prove. And we'll be kn enemy territory.
I'm content sitting quietly and just watching how it unfolds.

Hoping like hell the boys continue on their merry way and march into a prelim but it isn't going to be easy!
Perhaps you can also look at the pessimists on this board who predicted "DANGER GAME" against Adelaide twice, North Melbourne, West Coast, Carlton, Fremantle, StKilda, Collingwood, Even Richmond for CJ's 50th they were calling a danger game. Remember all those after the GWS loss claiming it was impossible and we were certain to miss finals because there was no way we were going to beat Carlton, or even if we won all our games somehow would miss finals.

We have every right to be confident, if it wasn't for an early season mess up against port when we had them covered but didn't have the confidence to finish them off (we were hoping we'd hang on as we were surprised to be doing so well). We'd be 2nd and they'd be 7th and we'd be wondering why anyone thought they could challenge a side who finished 2nd but was clearly the best side in the comp, and just beat the side with the 2nd best form by 6 goals.

We finish that Port game like we finished most of the other games since then and nobody would be thinking twice about us being premiership favourites. But because we lost the game in round 10 by 1 point that would have put us 2nd, we are seen as outsiders.

Perhaps you can also look at the pessimists on this board who predicted "DANGER GAME" against Adelaide twice, North Melbourne, West Coast, Carlton, Fremantle, StKilda, Collingwood, Even Richmond for CJ's 50th they were calling a danger game. Remember all those after the GWS loss claiming it was impossible and we were certain to miss finals because there was no way we were going to beat Carlton, or even if we won all our games somehow would miss finals.

We have every right to be confident, if it wasn't for an early season mess up against port when we had them covered but didn't have the confidence to finish them off (we were hoping we'd hang on as we were surprised to be doing so well). We'd be 2nd and they'd be 7th and we'd be wondering why anyone thought they could challenge a side who finished 2nd but was clearly the best side in the comp, and just beat the side with the 2nd best form by 6 goals.

We finish that Port game like we finished most of the other games since then and nobody would be thinking twice about us being premiership favourites. But because we lost the game in round 10 by 1 point that would have put us 2nd, we are seen as outsiders.
We have no danger games.

Walter White Danger GIF by Breaking Bad

I think footy is really diminished if you say the only good way to engage with it is in this super objective, rational, calm way.

I love the intellectual side of the sport. But ultimately, this is action and drama. Get overconfident, get your heart broken, hug a stranger.

This is the best, most exciting football this team has played in almost a decade. Lose this week or not, I reckon you're completely missing out if you're not getting swept up in the hype these cocky young lads are dishing up.

Last week was the loudest game most of these guys have ever played in and it seemed that every time the crowd roared, they locked in and even went up a level. Let the people paid stupid amounts of money to play and coach this sport worry about execution and hubris. Enjoy the footy.
I agree, I couldn't believe this year the amount of supposed Hawthorn supporters doing ladder predictors and thinking Hawthorn would lose a game.

Does my head in, but in my opinion I expect every year to be an undefeated premiership season until proven otherwise. And when that happens it's usually because of us being robbed by the umpires or injuries to key players.

I agree, I couldn't believe this year the amount of supposed Hawthorn supporters doing ladder predictors and thinking Hawthorn would lose a game.

Does my head in, but in my opinion I expect every year to be an undefeated premiership season until proven otherwise. And when that happens it's usually because of us being robbed by the umpires or injuries to key players.

As many who thought 14 wins might miss finals

If we get on top early I would be quietly confident but I agree there seems to be a lot of Hawk supporters that are way way way overconfident, not that it means anything because we can’t control the game.
personally I am NEVER over confident, like to the point of being ultra pessimistic - but I thought about it, and it really does suck the enjoyment outta the whole thing.

Like, if we happen to end up winning (even making the Grannie - to think!) and I've spent the entire time shit scared and pessimistic, almost assumiong we won't win so that way I won't be dissapointed? Don't reckon that will feel any good.

Of course if/ when we lose, I'll be gutted - but at least I would've enjoyed the journey!!

(Sorry for my little pyscho-self-analysis)

EDIT: just scrolled ahead and people have put it much better than me like DogDaySonny

For everyone worried that the squad may be as outrageously overconfident as us wizard hat wearing morons, listen to Sammy’s press conference. The middle three or four minutes. These boys will be ready to rumble. They know the job in front of them.

haha talking about hodge's comments - Hodgey's just trying to wind us up as he goes for us this week lol

and was that the players booing at the end there at the music being turned off? 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I thought Phillips was guaranteed to come in????

Go on Serong, prove the haters wrong
Phillips did the match review of the Bulldogs game with Frost and Kade Simpson, looking at the feedback and vision of Frost's game. He would be absolutely devastated but we all hope Serong plays a great game.

Over the moon for Jai. He could not have got more out of himself at Box Hill this year.

Brilliant kick, composed, above VFL level in general play, rarely outpointed by big forwards at that level even when giving up size. Hasn't shown it all at AFL level yet, but plenty of our best players needed a few goes to get it to click.

This game could make his career, if he is looking for more opportunities at Hawthorn or somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back