Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t though. Esava is close to 2M tall and over 100kgs - are you sweating bullets over who plays on him this week?

And some people obsess over a cm or two - most normal folk don’t. Those who don’t make the sensible calls like drafting Watson despite being 170cm.

Glad you found something to be outraged about this morning though.
I do agree that it is not overly important and certainly is not something to be outraged about, but i do think it has some relevance and should be made available.

We’re the only professional sporting league in the world that doesn’t publish players weights, it’s embarrassing

It’s truly not. It really can’t be a problem that some people are only stumbling onto the fact today when it’s been in place for a year or so. I’ve never once thought ‘shit I reckon X player would be a good matchup for Y but let me check their BMI before I determine that’. There’s so many more things that the AFL do that are embarrassing beyond this.

It’s truly not. It really can’t be a problem that some people are only stumbling onto the fact today when it’s been in place for a year or so. I’ve never once thought ‘shit I reckon X player would be a good matchup for Y but let me check their BMI before I determine that’. There’s so many more things that the AFL do that are embarrassing beyond this.
You'd be surprised. Many people on here think 2cm is the difference between a key position defender and a mid-sized one.

Wonder if there will be any other changes. CJ in for Maginness or Morrison could still be a possibility, but you'd think very unlikely.

BMI isn’t published and no one is calling for it. Just give up now. You’re tossing out straw men faster than the Wizard of Oz just to feel like you never lose an argument. It’s Ok. You don’t need to defend every position and overwhelm everyone who holds a different position.

BMI isn’t published and no one is calling for it. Just give up now. You’re tossing out straw men faster than the Wizard of Oz just to feel like you never lose an argument. It’s Ok. You don’t need to defend every position and overwhelm everyone who holds a different position.

Actually I’ll happily concede when I’m wrong, something you are purely incapable of - and BMI is easily calculated if you have a player’s height and weight so it wasn’t exactly a strawman, it was a dash of hyperbole.

Last edited:
It doesn’t though. Esava is close to 2M tall and over 100kgs - are you sweating bullets over who plays on him this week?

I am.

I don't really rate him as a footballer, but his strengths are his size and contested marking when he's playing a decent game.

We need to ensure the ball is brought to ground 9 times out of 10 when it's kicked in his direction.

We will be undersized down back, so I refuse to just accept a repeat of the Dogs game. I think we can do it, but it isn't a guarantee.

I am.

I don't really rate him as a footballer, but his strengths are his size and contested marking when he's playing a decent game.

We need to ensure the ball is brought to ground 9 times out of 10 when it's kicked in his direction.

We will be undersized down back, so I refuse to just accept a repeat of the Dogs game. I think we can do it, but it isn't a guarantee.

And see that’s a fine rebuttal - not that hard to provide one. I would suggest though that a player’s weight wouldn’t give us any better or worse analysis on this - we all know what our defenders would be capable of against him, even Serong, without knowing what would be flashing at them on the scales today. Not to mention a player’s weight gives you zero idea of their relative strength - the amount of times I saw Andrew Johns pick up and drive back forwards he was giving up a shitload of size to was insane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy for Serong - his form deserved reward and I have faith that he can slot in with the gameplan and play his role. Hopefully he has a 2014 Langfordesque September (granted without the continued descent that came with that).

I love the selection. The kid has tricks, and a real future with us.

Hoping so - and hope he gets extended with us. He could really go to another level learning from Scrimmers, Hardwick, Frost, Battle and Barrass around him.

Can I make a point on the continuing narrative that opposition teams need to make Sicily accountable so he doesn’t run across the backline intercepting at will. That’s wrong.

The need to make Scrimmers, Weddle and Frost/Serong accountable before they can make Sicily accountable. Sicily has so much freedom because the Hawks run a legit four deep on must-make-accountable defenders. Sicily is fantastically talented, no doubt. And he gets the opportunity to use that talent because his teammates run three deep before him and can take any accountability that opposition sides try to put on Sis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back