Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port are playing a dangerous game. There is logic to exposing our undersized defence but we have been giving up size all year. The extra tall makes them cumbersome, and all our defenders contribute to the rebound. Doesn’t matter how ‘nimble’ Marshall may be he isn’t catching Weddle or Scrim.

Their ability to cover small defenders is also really average with three of their best medium defenders injured. This hurts their own rebound too.

In the periods where we gain midfield dominance they will struggle to stop our game style. Their midfield doesn’t run hard enough defensively to cover it.

Of course, the danger is that their mids can just slam it forward and try to out mark us. They still have match winners in that group. But the moment it hits the ground they’re in trouble.

Absolutely no way that a bloke with shingles (if in contagious phase) should be playing. This is like Covid during the 20-21 period for mine.

Would be absolute hell to pay if we won and a Hawthorn player was forced to miss next week or the week after because of it.
On the other hand, I hope every single Geelong player contracted it :p

Last edited:
Even if they do that will leave them with BZT, Rat and Allir. With their three main rebounders out it would leave them too immobile for our smalls. Feel like they’ve backed themselves into a corner.

HUGE game to be won when the ball hits the deck in our forward 50.

BZT and Aliir in particular won't be able to keep up with all our smalls and likely not Chol either.

HUGE game to be won when the ball hits the deck in our forward 50.

BZT and Aliir in particular won't be able to keep up with all our smalls and likely not Chol either.

We’re also the number one ground ball team in the comp while Port are fairly low (14th?). If they don’t mark it we’ll cause them trouble.

It’s contagious. He shouldn’t have played last week, and you’ve got to wonder if he will be right for Friday night.
You don't hear much about shingles, it normally only affects roofs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of pressure on Rozee and JHF in this one if Butters is playing injured. Four talls is ludicrous at the best of times, for a team that doesn't necessarily have strong contested markers, playing the "let's bomb it down the line" strat is... bold...

Port gone with the 4 tall forwards. Surely they move Rat to the backline
I hope so, easier if he just turns it over to our forwards so we don’t have to waste time running the length of the ground.

Serong - Marshall.
Scrimshaw - Dixon.
Weddle- Georgiades.
Sicily - Ratugolea.

I expect Port to make a change i can't see them playing 4 talls. Even if they moved Rat back they would go in to tall down back.

Sicily will float if they play 3 up forward.

Another option for us will be swinging Gunston back to take M.G OR T.M.

Does Bruesty start on field 300th ?

Last edited:
They will need to take a hell of a lot of marks down forward and will desperately need to kick straight because the 4 big one paced forwards selected (although Rat may play down back) won’t be much help when the ball hits the ground or when we kick it in from a behind and run it down the other end at a rate of Knots! If we compete well in the midfield we should win comfortably.

They are most likely hoping that they clunk a few early get confidence up and get ahead in the game .

Under pressure we then go away from what has worked for us and we lose rebound worried about their talls .

Goes without saying start is vital tomorrow night for both teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back