List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS having 3 picks inside the top 25 courtesy of off loading a couple of role players in Cumming and Perryman is absolutely ludicrous.

Regardless of their pays no one in their right mind would trade those picks to get either of those players, same goes for a top 10 pick for Josh ****ing Battle.

We lucked out with McKay last year but it’s about time compo picks were relegated to after the 2nd round to protect the integrity of the draft.

You realise we traded for him, yeah?

Like AEC is arguing we should trade for Houston? Who is a demonstrably more accomplished player?

Yes i actually do. He was a pick what though? 8?

We have more chance picking up good players in the draft than hoping we get a Logue to choose us. Thanks for helping me make my point, I want it there so all the midtable madness needtobes (for some reason) - can see it.

GWS having 3 picks inside the top 25 courtesy of off loading a couple of role players in Cumming and Perryman is absolutely ludicrous.

Regardless of their pays no one in their right mind would trade those picks to get either of those players, same goes for a top 10 pick for Josh ****ing Battle.

We lucked out with McKay last year but it’s about time compo picks were relegated to after the 2nd round to protect the integrity of the draft.

Agree in principle. Max pick is band 2 based on contract details etc

However, special application can be made to bump it up to band 1 based on best and fairests, Brownlow votes etc.

Imagine ldu did leave and we got band 2

Yes i actually do. He was a pick what though? 8?

We have more chance picking up good players in the draft than hoping we get a Logue to choose us. Thanks for helping me make my point, I want it there so all the midtable madness needtobes (for some reason) - can see it.
AnEmptyChair was making the point that if we continue to use our high draft picks to exclusively draft promising teenagers when the alternative is elite experienced players, our competitiveness will pay a price.

You responded with Logue as a counter example.

It was an example that made no sense.

It probably confuses me more how clubs like North manage to reach their TPP obligations.. who are you paying?

We rely heavily on bringing contracts forward. For example, Sheezel extended until 2030, so he would have a pretty big contract and it will be heavily front loaded. It allows us to hit the TPP and it will take a lot of pressure off in the future because the payments to Sheezel will be fairly low in the later years.

You have to be very selective what type of players you do this for, has to be someone who has the character of someone like Sheezel who is both driven and wont let the money impact their desire to improve and plan to be loyal long-term.

We rely heavily on bringing contracts forward. For example, Sheezel extended until 2030, so he would have a pretty big contract and it will be heavily front loaded. It allows us to hit the TPP and it will take a lot of pressure off in the future because the payments to Sheezel will be fairly low in the later years.

You have to be very selective what type of players you do this for, has to be someone who has the character of someone like Sheezel who is both driven and wont let the money impact their desire to improve and plan to be loyal long-term.
You would think Sheez will have significant front loading in his 4th and fifth seasons.

We were never, ever getting pick 3 for Zurhaar
Twomey said we had a "5 yr deal on table since the start of the season at around '$700-750k'. I think it was a possibility, even if a slight one, that a team like Pies may have paid overs to trigger Band 1 and not force a match and trade.
I struggle to see why Pies were interested with Hill, Schulz, Elliott, Richards and McCreery as it doesn't make any sense to me from a list point of view for them to chase Zurhaar when they have those forwards already.

His manager said "there was a lot of interest" in Cam, but was there really? We don't know that, of course he'd say that.
As for reported offers, only really this from The Age, which is more speculation...
'Two list-management sources told this masthead on the condition of anonymity, to be able to speak more freely, that a club would consider paying Zurhaar as much as $800,000 a season to get him out of Arden Street.'

We also don't know what Cam actually ended up signing for with us, we're assuming the 700-750k is reported correctly.

Multiple teams being interested I think really drove up the offers to insane amounts really for those players.

They'll make that change when it's us offloading players worth something.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Sheez will have significant front loading in his 4th and fifth seasons.

You would imagine, he got a 4 year extension, I would imagine the last 2 or 3 years would be fairly light on given so much of our list are on their first contract and/or aren't best 18. It would be challenging reaching the TPP cap in the short-term.

Most of the guys like Corr, etc where we overpaid for to bring them in are probably on the back end of what where front-loaded contracts back then.

Whilst there is that shortfall in what players deserve to earn in the present, it at least gives us the opportunity to make it a bit easier to resign stars in the future if/when we get our shit together.

You would imagine, he got a 4 year extension, I would imagine the last 2 or 3 years would be fairly light on given so much of our list are on their first contract and/or aren't best 18. It would be challenging reaching the TPP cap in the short-term.

Most of the guys like Corr, etc where we overpaid for to bring them in are probably on the back end of where front-loaded contracts.

Whilst there is that shortfall in what players deserve to earn in the present, it at least gives us the opportunity to make it a bit easier to resign stars in the future if/when we get our shit together.
I’m not sure about what they can pay in the third year, the first two are pretty restricted.

The other one that confused me was Jacob Edwards. I watched a lot of his schoolboy year as my wife taught him at Mentone Grammar but was always going to be too small to play ruck at AFL level and didn’t have the forward craft to be a key forward.. but the hype on him when you took him in the mid season draft had him as the next Dean Cox.
Righto 🐓 head off ya go

I’m not sure about what they can pay in the third year, the first two are pretty restricted.

Yeah, the initial contract is restricted, for the first two years. JHF was going to get something like 850k a year after his initial contract expired.

I don't think I'm as firmly convinced on the rules around FA compo as others seem to be. Melbourne lose Frawley at a time when they were a basket case, top 3 pick. Same with Gold Coast and Lynch. Then we benefit from it with a bloke whose value definitely doesn't correspond with the compensation. Meanwhile, Buddy, a better player than all those three combined, warrants 'band 1' compo at pick 19, departing from a team coming off a flag. Pretty obvious to me that different levers are pulled at AFL house depending on the on-field fortunes of the team involved.

Even in a world where a team does pay Zurhaar 800k or whatever the threshold was, I still cannot for the life of me see the league giving that the tick of approval with the McKay stuff also going on. No way in hell. For the shit teams, it's used as a poor man's priority pick ala the old 2000s system, and the thought of grovelling for more than one of them nauseates me a bit
I don’t have any problem with the compo pick being tied to ladder positions. The loss of a top line player to a bottom team is greater than that of a premiership team.

I don’t have any problem with the compo pick being tied to ladder positions. The loss of a top line player to a bottom team is greater than that of a premiership team.
Right, but do you reckon there's a snowflake's chance in hell that we get that concession for both Zurhaar and McKay, even with 'requirements' supposedly being met?

The other one that confused me was Jacob Edwards. I watched a lot of his schoolboy year as my wife taught him at Mentone Grammar but was always going to be too small to play ruck at AFL level and didn’t have the forward craft to be a key forward.. but the hype on him when you took him in the mid season draft had him as the next Dean Cox.

The hype wasn't generated by us, it was the general AFL perspective, I think any club that was on the bottom would have picked him.

He was 202cm, he was taller than Goldstein and he had a bigger spring than Goldy. He just didn't have the desire to be an AFL footballer which he didn't realise until he was in the AFL system. Didn't want to work hard enough for it.

AnEmptyChair was making the point that if we continue to use our high draft picks to exclusively draft promising teenagers when the alternative is elite experienced players, our competitiveness will pay a price.

You responded with Logue as a counter example.

It was an example that made no sense.
Logue was a pick 8.
Yes we traded for him, luckily he chose us. If you have supported North for a while, you'll understand that isn't usually how it goes.

But he is originally a pick 8!

Hence why he was included in a post responding to a draft picks aren't the be all and end all of list management wo is me, let's get back to 2015 styled mid table madness as quickly as possible post. It's the AFL, you're get rewarded for being shit, let's be shit for a bit longer. That's all I'm saying.

Right, but do you reckon there's a snowflake's chance in hell that we get that concession for both Zurhaar and McKay, even with 'requirements' supposedly being met?
After seeing the compo today? Maybe. It’s all moot anyway, the player both needs to want to leave and have someone willing to pay it. In this case it was just a contract negotiation tactic.

Logue was a pick 8.
Yes we traded for him, luckily he chose us. If you have supported North for a while, you'll understand that isn't usually how it goes.

But he is originally a pick 8!

Hence why he was included in a post responding to a draft picks aren't the be all and end all of list management wo is me, let's get back to 2015 styled mid table madness as quickly as possible post. It's the AFL, you're get rewarded for being shit, let's be shit for a bit longer. That's all I'm saying.
I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. He wasn’t a pick 8 for us, just a future 2nd, and this actually goes against your argument if you factor in the value loss for freo.

And they changed it to three year contracts for top pick after. Isn’t that why old mate at west coast wanted a one year extension at $1.8 million?

I am not sure if top 20 players are disadvantaged by not being allowed to get a better deal for the 3rd year, but I don't know for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back