Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastTBC

Last edited:

I don't really care for Brady's body of work at the club thus far but couldn't care less about how he speaks to the media.
What is weird about the reaction to this interview is that he actually answered the questions asked. Normally he sits down for interviews and just gives infuriating answers like "we will be looking at all options for improving the list". There was more information in this 2 minutes than that tedious fan Q & A garbage with him, Viney and Thursfield. And still people whinge.

LIAM Shiels will remain at Arden Street and join North Melbourne's recruiting department full-time next month.

The 33-year-old retired in August after adding 33 appearances for the Kangaroos across two seasons, after Alastair Clarkson lured him out of retirement in 2022.
Shiels ended his playing career with 288 games next to his name after playing in three premierships at Hawthorn during his 14 seasons at Waverley Park.

The Victorian has spent time working in recruiting across his first two years at the Kangaroos and was spotted at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine over the weekend.

Shiels was hoping to transition into the list management department when he took up the opportunity to extend his AFL career at North Melbourne.

KQHogiqc.jpg

Liam Shiels is pictured at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine on October 6, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos

Now the 2008 pick No.34 will join nation recruiting manager Will Thursfield and head of football talent Brady Rawlings on a full-time basis ahead of next month's Telstra AFL Draft.

North Melbourne holds pick No.2, 25, 43 and 61 after trading 67 to West Coast on the opening day of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period to land veteran key forward Jack Darling.

Shiels becomes the latest player to enter the recruiting space after Brisbane great Justin Leppitsch transitioned from coaching to list manager at Collingwood this year.

Hawthorn appointed four-time premiership great Jarryd Roughead as player acquisition manager at the start of the year.

Port Adelaide champion Robbie Gray joined the Power's recruiting team after calling time on his 271-game career in 2022. – Josh Gabelich
1728278677561.png

don't get me wrong, I love Shielsy - but that expression on his face just needed a thought bubble!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, this article pretty much covered it...

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn't coming to us without Clarkson's intervention and that shouldn't be a huge surprise. I doubt Neale or Hodge would have gone to Brisbane if Fagan wasn't going there either.

I know that deal was being worked on for over a year. No doubt Clarko helped allay any fears but there was confidence in getting Logue over long before there was confidence in getting Clarko over. Not saying your stance is wrong, just saying there was plenty of footwork done in advance.

Beyond a joke that Pick 13 is the key to another big Club securing a prime trade candidate.

Pretty much means there's no downside to those Clubs trading out First rounders.

Completely compromises the system.
It's a amazing isn't it. The FA and player trading is a farce......player just chooses the big club as why wouldn't they. Meanwhile CorruptFL don't want to "compromise the draft"

When they wanted to get rid of Stephens they were easier to deal with.

The club has to really sell it as you aren't doing us a favour, you are doing Parker a favour, he has been a long serving veteran that you only played for 7 games during the H&A plus the finals probably more due to injuries to other players rather than his form. He has the opportunity to play on for 2-3 years somewhere else or you can keep him to his contract and he becomes an UFA at the end of next year but if he doesn't play much next year as well he might not play beyond next year. Is that the way you want to treat your veteran players coming to the end of their time?
A lot of trade week is performative - you sound like you're driving a hard bargain so your fans think you've driven a hard bargain.

He's popped up a bit on Midweek Tackle and I hate to say more often since Landsberger passed but he's come off a bit skeevy on there, can see him as the type that will try to have a point of difference of being obnoxious to cover his lack of knowledge.
Does he have a moustache like 93% of their fans?

Hearing that GWS might be willing to trade their some of this years trade currency. Wonder if a death ride would interest them considering they are likely to be top 6 again next year.

North Out: F1, F3

North in: GWS F1, 16 & 21
I'd think we'd want a top 10 and F1 to give up our F1. And wouldn't the Giants have academy players next year they might need to match a big on in the 1st round? I suppose they could trade in a 2026 R1.

And so they start to spin the “we want more than you’re offering because he is valuable to us” watch us cough up 43
Love all this postering and positioning by the recruiting staff defending their turf. They all sound like Real Estate Agents who tell you they can get $1M for your property, and 1 week into the campaign its down to high $700K’s. Brady should wait 48 hours and then take a coin along and tell the Swan let’s flip on the 3rd v 4th round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of trade week is performative - you sound like you're driving a hard bargain so your fans think you've driven a hard bargain.
Yep a lot of posturing, like Cats with "we rate the Rat man highly... key position" blah blah blah.
What'd he end up being traded for? Pick 25 or something because Port split their F1 to Dockers.
I reckon the one doing all the big talk in the media usually caves and gets a realistic deal done in the end.

I know that deal was being worked on for over a year. No doubt Clarko helped allay any fears but there was confidence in getting Logue over long before there was confidence in getting Clarko over. Not saying your stance is wrong, just saying there was plenty of footwork done in advance.
Hang on TFW, if I'm reading this correctly then that means Brady and the List Management team know what they're doing and are actually good at their jobs.

Fagan was an assistant at Hawthorn so he knew Hodge pretty well, I think if you want someone in a mentor role and not just for their ability to play football you would need the coach to sell the idea.

I am not sure about Battle, or how involved Mitchell was. I am guessing Mitchell decided to become more involved after they lost out on getting McKay and several other players.

There is a lot going on with coaching now, most head coaches have minimal one-on-one interaction with players on the list, rely a lot on assistants to do much of the heavy lifting now. I think it is quite significant when a head coach takes the time out to get involved in individual recruiting and I don't think it is that common for them to get heavily involved.

Fagan with Hodge and Clarkson with Logue was at the starting point of their coaching time, I think when you start as a coach you have to try and assemble your team and obviously Brisbane at the time and us were a complete shit show before the coaches started so they felt they needed as much help as humanly possible at the time.

I think with the Houston deal, he kind of decided he wanted to come home relatively late in the picture so clubs weren't in a position to do a lot of the leg work in advance over a period of time. He seems to be undecided which way he goes so it doesn't surprise me that clubs would want to get their best salesmen on the job. From the outside looking in ti doesn't seem obvious that a lot of coaches are involved in trying to get him to pick them instead of the others... but I could be wrong, we only know what gets leaked out.
I understand your point with Fagan, they did have history. Here is an article of Sam, where he even involves his wife in the recruitment, https://au.sports.yahoo.com/stagger...-amid-hawthorns-afl-resurgence-233954375.html

No doubt each coach is different, but a key reason why a player would move clubs is to play, and a part of that is understanding the role they would play in the team. Especially for the more talented players. To do that you would need to chat to the senior coach. Which is why I don't think it is unusual for him to meet with Dan. For a team like Collingwood, they would be telling him how they still have a lot of petrol in the tank to have a go at another premiership, at North, it would be about the progress of the players and how close we are to having a crack at the premiership

I don't think they are doing it for the benefit of the supporters, it just the nature of haggling. But there is a certain art to it that not everyone is equally good at and it was obvious by the way we handled the Brown departure we weren't very good at the basics of it because we shot ourselves in the foot getting something decent out of that just through the messaging and how we dealt with it.

We seemed to get bamboozled by the JHF trade, if you take out the premium GWS paid to move from 3 to 1, which we could have done without anyone else involved, what Port ended up paying for JHF was ridiculous, so much so they continue to boast how cheap they got him to this day.

It is performative, but it isn't for the sake of a show, it has a significant impact on what the results you can achieve.

I thought our trading last year was pretty good, we didn't get sucked into an overpayment for pick 1 and despite not rating either Fishers or Stephen, we still managed to get some more first round picks out of it. But that type of trading is pretty easy when the AFL gifts you end of first round picks.

We have to make the most out of what we have because the AFL is done giving us free shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back