Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastTBC

Last edited:

A 4 year deal would contract Daniel through his age 31 season. It's not like he's already 32 years old.

It really depends what he's paid in the last two years.
When do we start valuing list spots? In this scenario, three years down the road, we could have Darling, Daniel, Parker, Fisher, Stephens and Simpkin all still in contract but no longer (or ever) best 22. It's extremely unlikely we'll still have the extra list spots. That's more than an eighth of the list not providing value on gameday or developing for the future. Long contracts for average/below average players needs to stop yesterday.

So we should just offer him 2 years then and gaurantee not to get his signature? I mean, fair enough if you dont want him on our team, seems a complete f*cking waste of time though.
Yep. Two years, better money and the chance to extend your rapidly finishing career. We're supposed to be a football club, not a superannuation plan.

Coaches around the league and most of the data analysts don’t rate him and haven’t since his last AA year.

He’s absolutely a great kick.

But he doesn’t move the ball forward in any meaningful way.

He doesn’t break lines with the ball.

Majority of his possessions are chip kicks to stationary targets or he’s a stationary target himself.

Hoyne and CD have been critical of him for a long time.

It’s why the Dogs felt they needed to replace him.

I’d almost prefer to see him play further forward if we did recruit him.

It has to be for minimum chips though, he doesn’t move the needle in any way whatsoever. He’s basically Fisher 2.0

Totally.

Viney mentioned in the pow-wow the other day about playing a more attacking game off half back like we were doing earlier this season. That game style is the anti Caleb Daniel, which is why his spot in the WB side has been taken over by Lachie Bramble and Bailey Dale.

If you want players to play that game style you need distributors who are meters gained pigs. Daniel is not that at all. As you mentioned he is a side to side player, not a zone breaking kicker.

So why then are we targeting him? He can’t defend, and he doesn’t suit the game style that Viney has described.

So we should just offer him 2 years then and gaurantee not to get his signature? I mean, fair enough if you dont want him on our team, seems a complete f*cking waste of time though.

2 years with triggers for a 3rd is perfectly reasonable, especially on a bit better money than he is currently on.

Totally.

Viney mentioned in the pow-wow the other day about playing a more attacking game off half back like we were doing earlier this season. That game style is the anti Caleb Daniel, which is why his spot in the WB side has been taken over by Lachie Bramble and Bailey Dale.

If you want players to play that game style you need distributors who are meters gained pigs. Daniel is not that at all. As you mentioned he is a side to side player, not a zone breaking kicker.

So why then are we targeting him? He can’t defend, and he doesn’t suit the game style that Viney has described.
We seem to be recruiting players that will help us build the slowest team possible.

If we'd bid on Daicos and then taken JHF at 2 when JHF specifically made it clear that he really wanted to be selected pick 1, then it would have gone down in folklore as one of the main reasons JHF left us after one season. Hindsight says **** JHF, but we weren't in a great position to make that call at the time.
True, but given that Naicos is clearly the best player from the draft I could happily have lived with that discourse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On my reading, Power's comments don't suggest Daniel is moving.

'Required player,' 'contracted for 2 years' and 'deputy vice captain' sound like only an offer too good to refuse would do it, and given Brady's comments about not diluting our draft hand too much that doesn't seem likely.

On my reading, Power's comments don't suggest Daniel is moving.

'Required player,' 'contracted for 2 years' and 'deputy vice captain' sound like only an offer too good to refuse would do it, and given Brady's comments about not diluting our draft hand too much that doesn't seem likely.
I don't mind a f2 so much it's likely to be over pick 30 next year with all the academy picks

Rebound 50: moving the ball from the defensive zone into the midfield.
Glad you clarified this, as an avid watcher of our last few years I did think it was more related to tying someone up again

Yep. Two years, better money and the chance to extend your rapidly finishing career. We're supposed to be a football club, not a superannuation plan.
He's 28, not 35. Also, how is the same contract length an extension? Might as well stay at the team that played finals then. Again, waste of time making offers that would rightly be refused.

Offering someone an extended deal just to get them to come is how you end up with stupid contracts. The selling point for Daniel is that he'll be best 22 with us, not that he can extend his career

If we have to double his contract length to turn his head then he's not the type of player worth targeting

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back