Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

It’s not that bad a suggestion.

Pick 2 for Pick 9 and a Pick next year that could be anywhere from 9-18.

If you were able to get a deal like the Houston one done using that future first from the Bombers it looks like a great trade.

Essentially Pick 2 for Pick 9 and Houston. Pick 2 just isn’t as valuable this year with such an even spread across the top end of the draft. Also if we hold 2 you would think we are committing to another midfielder?

If it’s the Bombers wanting Pick 2, it’s to get ahead of a Kako bid, so you would be asking for a premium from them, so maybe some pick swaps to get more our way?
Disagree. It drops us way too far back, needs to be a cut of point and that Gold Coast's pick 6 for me. Yes it's an even draft but at pick 9 we will miss out on the best midfielders along with Armstrong, Tauru etc.

It’s not that bad a suggestion.

Pick 2 for Pick 9 and a Pick next year that could be anywhere from 9-18.

If you were able to get a deal like the Houston one done using that future first from the Bombers it looks like a great trade.

Essentially Pick 2 for Pick 9 and Houston. Pick 2 just isn’t as valuable this year with such an even spread across the top end of the draft. Also if we hold 2 you would think we are committing to another midfielder?

If it’s the Bombers wanting Pick 2, it’s to get ahead of a Kako bid, so you would be asking for a premium from them, so maybe some pick swaps to get more our way?
This

Gold Coast have amazing production line via Academy - draft currency isn't as valuable to them for acquiring 18 year old talent.

Its better deployed acquiring seasoned talent, which comes at a premium.

Tldr if you had a golden goose laying solid 24 carat eggs in the backyard, you'd piss your pay away too.

Gold Coast shouldn’t be given draft picks…

Disagree. It drops us way too far back, needs to be a cut of point and that Gold Coast's pick 6 for me. Yes it's an even draft but at pick 9 we will miss out on the best midfielders along with Armstrong, Tauru etc.
I believe Rawlings has stated before that they are prepared to trade down by a couple of positions, so pick 6 and below.

I’m happy to take Shanahan with 9

I’ve got tauru around there also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have amazing production line via Academy - draft currency isn't as valuable to them for acquiring 18 year old talent.

Tldr if you had a golden goose laying solid 24 carat eggs in the backyard, you'd piss your pay away too.

As senseless as Rioli for 6 and some seems, this trade is still miles more palatable than the Bowes deal.

Indeed, why would Gold Coast give a hoot about draft picks in the main draft when they've got an unregulated pipeline of academy players

Real talk the Gold Coast Academy is already far more valuable than Sydney's, if for the simple facts that lots of people from Victorian and elsewhere around Australia (Jed Walter etc) move to the Gold Coast already inculcated into footy.

I can't remember if it was one of the reforms agreed to next year or one the clubs want (which will come in) but GC will be limited to one Academy player per round very soon.

Last edited:
Indeed, why would Gold Coast give a hoot about draft picks in the main draft when they've got an unregulated pipeline of academy players

Regardless of the situation you’re in you still need to maximise the value of every pick and trade.
If GC had of they’d be in a better position than they’re currently in.

100%. Their cavalier approach to draft picks is evidence that their academy concessions need to be reigned in.

It’s all well and good for them to throw the picks away but it makes a mockery of the system that the other clubs have to live with.

It all depends on what the club is targeting?

Agree at Pick 9 you aren’t getting one of the top rated mids (do we want another mid?) and most likely not Armstrong, but Tauru is a possibility.

Regardless of the situation you’re in you still need to maximise the value of every pick and trade.
If GC had of they’d be in a better position than they’re currently in.

They are though - for them pick 6 is far more valuable as currency for trading for experienced players than it is selecting 18 year old from the draft pool

100%. Their cavalier approach to draft picks is evidence that their academy concessions need to be reigned in.

It’s all well and good for them to throw the picks away but it makes a mockery of the system that the other clubs have to live with.

It's a good point.

But really, how stupid are the people running the club to think they can waste draft picks, when they have failed to make the top 8 in their entire existence.

If we're gonna trade pick 2 we need to still have access to the better players in this draft don't we?
Given what is touted to be an even draft, I think you will find you are going to get a very good prospect in the top 10.

Pick 2 just doesn’t have the value this year with so many options available in the top 10 and no standouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back