Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

If we're gonna trade pick 2 we need to still have access to the better players in this draft don't we?
Yes we said a number of times that we want to fast track the development and would rather trade future picks
Free agency is supposed to let players control where they go and not depend on their club to make a deal. It is not - at least officially - intended to facilitate ‘attractive’ clubs to pick up players for free.

The simple answer is to make the destination club cough up the compensation pick(s). Just work out the point value of the compo and then transfer picks as if it were a trade. Or deduct points from the destination club.
This is such an obvious solution to all the current issues it suggests there are “other” reasons it’s not implemented.
I see your point, but the AFLPA would never agree to it, as it's essentially just a player trade, not a free agency. Any out of contract player can leave this way, so what would be the point of reaching the FA status?

I'm a draft guy so any news suggesting Houston is more interested in another club is like crack.

The only thing better right now is news stating we're not putting any more time into him.
I am all for the draft (and definitely don't want to overpay for Houston) but surely you can see that the draft on its own will never get us out of this situation?

I remember when we were all gagging for Aish? Just because he didn’t tour our rooms, then he did jack shit at the pies then Jack shit at Freo. Sometimes I feel like we just like being chosen like a kid at the school dance

If Houston was ever interested in us, he would be a Roo by now. He doesn't want to come.

We should walk away because if he does come now it would be like Polec, coming to us to keep his misses happy and taking the most money on offer. I'm not saying he would be a no show like Polec, just he wouldn't be coming for the right reasons.

And we would be playing overs like we did for Polac. We could have had a Ben King or a Bailey Smith if we did it right. We are still paying for that, thanks Scott's and Joyce's.

Let's not be short sighted and make the same mistake.

Last edited:
It really isn’t. It’s like offering a job to a good candidate and getting sad they don’t sign up on the spot.

Exactly... Port know what we are offering so have to explore both the blues and pies offers before being able to make the ultimate call... sounds like blues couldn't satisfy them, so now pies' turn.

Note that while Port know what we are offering we don't necessarily know... all we know is f1 but not if it's alone or with picks coming back

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I see your point, but the AFLPA would never agree to it, as it's essentially just a player trade, not a free agency. Any out of contract player can leave this way, so what would be the point of reaching the FA status?
Out of contract players have to go through the PSD.
True the players wouldn’t like it. Their attractiveness as FAs is reduced relative to the current system that artificially incentivises free agency moves.

That may be a political challenge, but it’s not an equity one: They should have a right to choose their destination, but there’s no reason they should be inherently more attractive than a trade. The AFL has no responsibility to deliberately generate movement. And the FAs getting overpaid takes cash out of the salary caps from everyone else.
And right now the best players are RFAs so already disadvantaged relative to the mediocre ones.

If Houston was ever interested in us, he would be a Roo by now. He doesn't want to come.

I don't really get this logic. You could quite easily place Collingwood or Carlton in place of our name.

If we don’t bet Dan and it looks like we won’t, pay overs for Caleb Daniel if necessary.
We need another experienced player down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don’t bet Dan and it looks like we won’t, pay overs for Caleb Daniel if necessary.
We need another experienced player down back.
no to paying overs

future 3rd for caleb daniel
maybe with a swap of future 4ths also as a sweetner

we are taking 700-750k a year off their books a year for the next 2 years

If we get Houston or not, Daniel still needs to be realistic. If they want this years second rounder, we just develop what we have in those areas. If we can't split 2, that second rounder will be our KPP prospect from this draft.

Two holes:
  1. You can then pay for a late round 1 bid with a round 2 pick - this has downstream cap and contract ramifications
  2. This puts pressure on the academy/FS team to find a way to get into that particular zone, in what is very much an unknown. This circle back to being overly complicated IMO
I mostly agree that the rounds should be locked in, but FA compo is a necessary evil. Otherwise, you get the big teams raiding the little teams forever and ever.
Don't follow this at all. You still get the big teams raiding the little ones - as they aren't the ones paying the price.

I am all for the draft (and definitely don't want to overpay for Houston) but surely you can see that the draft on its own will never get us out of this situation?

I think talent, hard-work, selflessness and stability gets you out of the situation we're in.

Talent = draft/trading/free agency etc. Generally, the higher the pick, the better the talent, hence I like the draft
Hard-work = guys like Shiels, Darling, Parker add this element as they've been part of successful teams. Also needs to be driven by coaches and leaders
Selflessness = needs to be driven by the coaches and leaders
Stability = list management

I don't subscribe to the idea that experience is the key to unlock success. But with experience generally comes leadership and the understanding of what hard-work looks like and the maturity to be selfless and think about the team rather than yourself. There are always exceptions to this of course, such as Sheezel who has come into the club with leadership skills and a work ethic that surpasses most if not all his teammates.

This is just my perspective though and I'm sure there are others who disagree.

All that to say that drafting is a key component in addressing the 'talent' part, which is 1/4 of our way out of this. Basically everyone who has re-signed over the last year has cited the young talent and excitement and energy they bring as a key reason for them wanting to hang around.

I have no doubt they could fit them in.

It’s more so of the “sign on bonus” where part of the deal is heavily front ended and I can’t imagine the Pies offering anywhere near what us or the Blues did.

Pies has been caught out before with Treloar, Grundy and Stephenson too.
And won a premiership shortly thereafter. From their POV no lesson learned as it worked out fine (arguably primarily due to FS gifts).

This is such an obvious solution to all the current issues it suggests there are “other” reasons it’s not implemented.
I'm all for a good conspiracy and trust the AFL's motives about as much as I trust letting a sneaky one out after having gastro - but I think this one is pretty simple. Changes like you're suggesting will make clubs less likely to offer spots to experienced players and it is an expectation of the bargaining agreement that player movement, particularly for those who have met UFA / FA criteria is available and accessible.

Last edited:
I don't really get this logic. You could quite easily place Collingwood or Carlton in place of our name.
No because he is happy to go there and is waiting for those clubs to make a deal that satisfies Port.

Port have been feeding the media for weeks that North want him and are willing to overpay so pony up other clubs. If Dan said I'll go to North it would been done by now.

I.dont think we would know what our F1 or pick 2 can get until the deals.involving Richmond are done anyway, so if Port can get a satisfactory deal for.Houston then that makes sense for then.

No because he is happy to go there and is waiting for those clubs to make a deal that satisfies Port.

Port have been feeding the media for weeks that North want him and are willing to overpay so pony up other clubs. If Dan said I'll go to North it would been done by now.

Gonna agree to disagree. I think it's reasonable to want to play for a team closer to finals but any vibe I get out of this is the ultimate end result is getting to Victoria. The general consensus now is he is never returning to Port, he could have easily said get me to the Pies or Blues.

We're a five year bottom two side, I'm content we are in a race. Even the ugly girls at the back of the hall get the chance to go home with somebody better looking.

I'm a draft guy so any news suggesting Houston is more interested in another club is like crack.

The only thing better right now is news stating we're not putting any more time into him.
6-7 years of an All Australian halfback is more valuable to us given where we're at as a club than a future first round pick imo

Surely this shiteshow doesn’t need to run for 8 days

If they could run this into prime time they would.

Even the last day gets TV coverage up to the 7.30pm deadline.

6-7 years of an All Australian halfback is more valuable to us given where we're at as a club than a future first round pick imo

I totally understand that perspective but I think he'd need to be 2-3 years younger for me to be on board with it.

I wouldn't be devastated if we paid up for him, but my preference is certainly going to the draft with any first rounders. The more talent we can pack into our list before Tasmania come in the better.

We're in somewhat of a fortunate position having high-end first round picks to inject into our list before the draft is diluted even more than it is in 2028. I think a large reason we're in the position we're in is because we were a middling team when GWS and Gold Coast entered the league and just before that point - we didn't have the opportunity to bring in any real high-end talented players during that time and it was just compounded by poor list management decisions later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back