List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not mature bodies we're missing, its mature minds. IE Experienced footy players who are in their late 20s early 30s and know how to respond to situations like the ones we had after the bye, where we lost composure and dropped our bundles after leading other sides easily.
How many do we need to fix that? I dont see it as being that simple. If we simply transition better, maintain the ball better, spread better that brings far less pressure with it.

From the Collingwood Board

"Have an out of the box trade, pendles to kangaroos for number 2 pick number 2 and our future first for petraca.
Pendles gets a season or 2as player then straight into coaching he's exactly what the kangaroos kids need and he would be doing it to benefit us ... As much as I hate it it's a win win"

WTF

Can we pin this to the top of every page? It's priceless!

It also didn't help that Biff stole the almanac and took it back to his younger self. That set us back years.
One day when we're posting on Afterlife Bigfooty we'll learn there really was a cosmic chasm in 2016.

In another reality we won the 2016-2019 flags. Boomer played over 600 games and Dusty, Josh and Gaff all joined but found themselves missing all the GF sides because Wilkins, McKenzie and Warren were dominating in their spots.

Ben Buckley got up at the 2018 Syd off a 3-peat and declared "an outstanding year" but that event penetrated space-time-dimension and was also heard in our parallel reality.

Which makes sense when you think about it. Because no club president would declare dropping from the top 8 to missing finals completely as "outstanding".

Anyone seen much of ex-Docker Mitch Crowden this year? Caught some of his game on the weekend and liked what I saw.

I think he's one with his pace and tackling ability that could bring instant energy to our forward line.

One day when we're posting on Afterlife Bigfooty we'll learn there really was a cosmic chasm in 2016.

In another reality we won the 2016-2019 flags. Boomer played over 600 games and Dusty, Josh and Gaff all joined but found themselves missing all the GF sides because Wilkins, McKenzie and Warren were dominating in their spots.

Ben Buckley got up at the 2018 Syd off a 3-peat and declared "an outstanding year" but that event penetrated space-time-dimension and was also heard in our parallel reality.

Which makes sense when you think about it. Because no club president would declare dropping from the top 8 to missing finals completely as "outstanding".
This thread has gone quiet.

Guess everyone is trying to get to that other reality to savour those flags

You'd be surprised. We still had a self-perception of being a good football club (at actual football) for quite a while into the 00s and looked down our noses at supposed loser clubs.

I think it took to the Back to the Future Timeline A events of 2016 & 2017 to truly make us realise nobody fears us anymore.
After the finals losses in 2005 and 2007 the 90s were a distant memory to me.

So presumably the Bulldogs aren't going to play all of Norton, Darcy and Ugle-Hagan moving forward. They also have Croft as a 201 cm key forward for the future. They seem to have solved the Lobbe problem by playing him as a backman, but could Naughton be shaken loose? I have no idea of contract status or any of that stuff.
They were saying lobb was gettable early in the year. He could go straight to defence, releasing comben back to the forward line.

What's the story now? Is there any Lobb lub?

List of names we should be looking at if we're not already, in no particular order:
Parker
Duncan
Salem
Lester
McRae
Rampe
Ward
Vlastuin
Tomlinson
Parfitt

Archer Logue Corr
Goater Tomlinson/Wawson Rampe/Duncan/Vlastuin
McRae/Ward/Salem LDU Mckercher
Parker Comben Simpkin
Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
Xerri Sheezel Wardlaw
Scott Ford Duursma Powell
Phillips Parfitt/Lester Fisher Hardeman

There were Cadman whispers a little while ago, anyone got any juicy dopamine hits? Exactly what we need besides some senior leadership
At what price? He'd have to really want out, GWS would want a minimum of #2 and some, any less and buyer beware. Sure has a couple of years development in a good system, BUT I suspect we'd just take Armstrong if even entertaining the idea of recruiting Cadman.

They were saying lobb was gettable early in the year. He could go straight to defence, releasing comben back to the forward line.

What's the story now? Is there any Lobb lub?
I was always anti Lobbe, neither a good ruckman or forward....but agree worth considering on that basis. Daresay, not so gettable anymore.

When did Daniel Rioli become worth a top 10 pick? Let alone multiple ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still have a major issue with big bodied midfields, or mature bodied. Watching Jai Newcombe just walk through our midfield reminded me of what players like Cunnington did to GWS when they first came out.

We have had massive development issues over the last 10 years and whilst we have new development staff, I haven't seen a lot to suggest we have made a big turn around in that area. We have struggled a lot against the Bonts, Petracca, etc types because we don't have anyone physically capable of playing on them... atm.

The midfield/flanker group:
Simpkin 183cm 77kg 26yo
Powell 184cm 79kg 22yo
Wardlaw 182cm 79kg 20yo
LDU 188cm 89kg 25yo
Stephens 184cm 80kg 23yo
Phillips 181cm 81kg 22yo
Duursma 190cm 80kg 18yo
Taylor 188cm 82kg 24yo
Lazzaro 180cm 80kg 22yo
Sheezel 185cm 80kg 19yo
Scott 186cm 77kg 24yo
McKercher 182cm 76kg 19yo
Hardeman 184cm 75kg 19yo
Bergman 189cm 73kg 21yo
Goater 189cm 87kg 21yo
Archer 187cm 80kg 21yo
Tucker 184cm 83kg 27yo
Ford 189cm 81kg 22yo
Stephenson 189cm 79kg 25yo

I've excluded Thomas, Greenwood and Shiel as they are not going to be here next year.

We then have third tier/rookie guys like:
Hansen 182cm 76kg 20yo
Drury 177cm 74kg 20yo

This is physically tragic, the guys taken in the last couple of drafts have an excuse, but we have taken a lot of undersized kids and very few have had any significant improvement in their weight. What are we doing? We are in the Ethiopian weight division. A lot of these underweight players aren't fast, don't have a great tank, don't have elite skills... why are they on the list as a collective? A side that has a properly developed squad can carry the odd guy that needs a lot of development work but we are scratching our heads and wondering why we can't compete in the wet against a side that is massively better developed physically than us in the running division.

Last edited:
After we have exhausted all recruitment options as they have all said no. Look forward to the homecoming of 2 of our recently departed Jack Mahoney and Tom Campbell.They will had depth and most of all some laughter.

Josh Schache looks pleasantly surprised to learn of our interest in him.
Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 3.35.59 pm.png

After we have exhausted all recruitment options as they have all said no. Look forward to the homecoming of 2 of our recently departed Jack Mahoney and Tom Campbell.They will had depth and most of all some laughter.
Nothing wrong with Tommy taking Free’s back up ruck spot. Great clubman who can still go. Was fine in the couple of games he played for the Saints this year.

Anyone seen much of ex-Docker Mitch Crowden this year? Caught some of his game on the weekend and liked what I saw.

I think he's one with his pace and tackling ability that could bring instant energy to our forward line.
Sticking your neck out with that suggestion.

We still have a major issue with big bodied midfields, or mature bodied. Watching Jai Newcombe just walk through our midfield reminded me of what players like Cunnington did to GWS when they first came out.

We have had massive development issues over the last 10 years and whilst we have new development staff, I haven't seen a lot to suggest we have made a big turn around in that area. We have struggled a lot against the Bonts, Petracca, etc types because we don't have anyone physically capable of playing on them... atm.

Simpkin 183cm 77kg 26yo
Powell 184cm 79kg 22yo
Wardlaw 182cm 79kg 20yo
LDU 188cm 89kg 25yo
Stephens 184cm 80kg 23yo
Phillips 181cm 81kg 22yo
Duursma 190cm 80kg 18yo
Taylor 188cm 82kg 24yo
Lazzaro 180cm 80kg 22yo
Sheezel 185cm 80kg 19yo
Scott 186cm 77kg 24yo
Hardeman 184cm 75kg 19yo
Bergman 189cm 73kg 21yo
Goater 189cm 87kg 21yo
Archer 187cm 80kg 21yo
Tucker 184cm 83kg 27yo
Ford 189cm 81kg 22yo

I've excluded Thomas, Greenwood and Shiel as they are not going to be here next year.

Hansen 182cm 76kg 20yo
Drury 177cm 74kg 20yo

This is physically tragic, the guys taken in the last couple of drafts have an excuse, but we have taken a lot of undersized kids and very few have had any significant improvement in their weight. What are we doing? We are in the Ethiopian weight division. A lot of these underweight players aren't fast, don't have a great tank, don't have elite skills... why are they on the list as a collective? A side that has a properly developed squad can carry the odd guy that needs a lot of development work but we are scratching our heads and wondering why we compete in the wet against a side that is massively better developed physically than us in the running division.

Curtis and Zurhaar have to be in the mix more. We left it until the last quarter of the year to play them this year. Curtis looked good pre-season 2023 and while I don't want him there a lot, bursts should be part of the rotation.

If Petracca is forced to stay we should definitely be speaking to Clayton Oliver. He will feel naturally ostracised by the reports that his situation is a big reason Petracca wants out. He’s a close friend of Jy’s. We should be able to buy reasonably low.

Hmmmmm 🤔
My first reaction to this was... Hell No.
But starting to come around to it. If he can get his head screwed on and back to near his form from a couple of years ago.... he's a significant upgrade on Parker / Wines and co.
What do people think gets this done?
If we take on his whole contract (since we've got the cap room) what else would we need to give up?

Curtis and Zurhaar have to be in the mix more. We left it until the last quarter of the year to play them this year. Curtis looked good pre-season 2023 and while I don't want him there a lot, bursts should be part of the rotation.

I think Wardlaw will beef up over time, I don't think he will be a beefcake, but he will probably hit around 84/85kg and he will be able to compete against the bigger mids but we currently have the problem that LDU isn't defensive enough, he was raised on Cunners doing the heavy lifting and things turned to doshit post Cunners going down.

HERE and NOW we have talented kids but we don't have the pieces for even a competitive AFL side. The reality is that Xerri, Sheezel and LDU are or close to AA players and we still got annihilated for the majority of the year.

We have accumulated a lot of talent but imo Hawks have done a substantially better job putting together a group of players that are suited to playing AFL football right now.

The only potential light at the end of the tunnel is that we might have amassed such a ridiculous amount of young talent that by the time we have put it together in terms of a functioning team in the present that all that talent will spill over and create a team that can dominate for a period of time... but we are no certainty, we have struggled even this year to convince players to sign on, with each year it will get progressively harder.

We need to remove players who just do not compliment the squad and do not provides us the attributes we require to be competitive and we need to bring in by hook or crook those elements we need to be competitive. We need to bring in some more mature bodies aggressive players who want to pressure and tackle.

Simpkin 183cm 77kg 26yo
Powell 184cm 79kg 22yo
Wardlaw 182cm 79kg 20yo
LDU 188cm 89kg 25yo
Stephens 184cm 80kg 23yo
Phillips 181cm 81kg 22yo
Duursma 190cm 80kg 18yo
Taylor 188cm 82kg 24yo
Lazzaro 180cm 80kg 22yo
Sheezel 185cm 80kg 19yo
Scott 186cm 77kg 24yo
Hardeman 184cm 75kg 19yo
Bergman 189cm 73kg 21yo
Goater 189cm 87kg 21yo
Archer 187cm 80kg 21yo
Tucker 184cm 83kg 27yo
Ford 189cm 81kg 22yo

Hansen 182cm 76kg 20yo
Drury 177cm 74kg 20yo

This is physically tragic, the guys taken in the last couple of drafts have an excuse, but we have taken a lot of undersized kids and very few have had any significant improvement in their weight. What are we doing? We are in the Ethiopian weight division. A lot of these underweight players aren't fast, don't have a great tank, don't have elite skills... why are they on the list as a collective? A side that has a properly developed squad can carry the odd guy that needs a lot of development work but we are scratching our heads and wondering why we compete in the wet against a side that is massively better developed physically than us in the running division.

Pretty certain you can remove Stepho, Lazz and Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back