List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to recall W80 being on record as wanting to move aside to give Larkey opportunities,,,,,as I recall the following season, Souva was playing VFL, and W80 either wrote a column or was quoted in the media as more or less saying "WTF I retired to give him opportunities, he needs to play AFL now".
That rings a bell.

In 2021, Pies finished 17th, with the following line-up in last game of the season:

FB: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Wilson Madgen Noble
C: Mayne Adams Daicos
HF: Thomas Henry Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Ginnivan De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Sidebottom, Rantall
INT: Bianco, Cameron, Crisp, Murphy, McCreery

In 2022, they finished top four, with the following line-up in the first game of the season:

FB: Quaynor Moore Madgen
HB: Pendlebury Howe N. Daicos
C: J. Daicos Adams Sidebottom
HF: Bianco Mihocek McCreery
F: Henry De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Lipinski, Crisp
INT: Cox, Noble, Brown, Ginnivan

These guys were obviously an exception and had some handy ins (Pendlebury and Moore) but over the half of the side (14 players) is unchanged.

If we take the side from the weekend:

FB: Archer Corr McDonald
HB: Scott Powell McKercher
C: Shiels LDU Dawson
HF: Tucker Pink Zurhaar
FF: Curtis Larkey Teakle

FOL: Xerri, Wardlaw, Simpkin
INT: Fisher, Phillips, Stephens, Hansen Jr

We have missing Sheezel, Comben, Logue and Ford as players who have proven to be at AFL level and then Duursma, Hardeman, Dawson, Bergman, Goater who have shown glimpses.

The biggest gap is quality of experienced players. Our leaders are not in the same conversation as Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore etc.

For that reason, I think Parker should be our primary target. Someone who can drive standards and expectations at training, and hates losing.

Call me naive but I still believe in our core youngsters. Culture is going to be more important than personnel (although we obviously need a KPF who can take a contested mark and a small forward). Culture is going to be driven by leaders and our current crop are losers (to be blunt).
Now do how many of that 2021 side played in the 2018 GF. There is really no comparison between their single underperforming season, the last under Buckley, and where North finds itself.

If he can get on the park; 32 next year and played a total of 18 games in the last four seasons, played 22 once in his career
He's had a few injuries, but his AFL availability only tells part of the story.

When you add the VFL games it doesn't look so bad.

In any case, I think getting him and Membrey for nothing to compete for one spot against CCJ and Teakle is a no-brainer.

From the Suns board:
View attachment 2093478

Stop-gap for a couple of years. Big upgrade on Pink.
The reason they would have retracted their offer would be because he can't get on the park. And at his age, it's unlikely to get better. He'd be lucky to play 6 games a season with his injury history

In 2021, Pies finished 17th, with the following line-up in last game of the season:

FB: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Wilson Madgen Noble
C: Mayne Adams Daicos
HF: Thomas Henry Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Ginnivan De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Sidebottom, Rantall
INT: Bianco, Cameron, Crisp, Murphy, McCreery

In 2022, they finished top four, with the following line-up in the first game of the season:

FB: Quaynor Moore Madgen
HB: Pendlebury Howe N. Daicos
C: J. Daicos Adams Sidebottom
HF: Bianco Mihocek McCreery
F: Henry De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Lipinski, Crisp
INT: Cox, Noble, Brown, Ginnivan

These guys were obviously an exception and had some handy ins (Pendlebury and Moore) but over the half of the side (14 players) is unchanged.

If we take the side from the weekend:

FB: Archer Corr McDonald
HB: Scott Powell McKercher
C: Shiels LDU Dawson
HF: Tucker Pink Zurhaar
FF: Curtis Larkey Teakle

FOL: Xerri, Wardlaw, Simpkin
INT: Fisher, Phillips, Stephens, Hansen Jr

We have missing Sheezel, Comben, Logue and Ford as players who have proven to be at AFL level and then Duursma, Hardeman, Dawson, Bergman, Goater who have shown glimpses.

The biggest gap is quality of experienced players. Our leaders are not in the same conversation as Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore etc.

For that reason, I think Parker should be our primary target. Someone who can drive standards and expectations at training, and hates losing.

Call me naive but I still believe in our core youngsters. Culture is going to be more important than personnel (although we obviously need a KPF who can take a contested mark and a small forward). Culture is going to be driven by leaders and our current crop are losers (to be blunt).

I think we have two key areas of improvement that would allow the current list to make a decent jump.

1. Add speed across the ground to open up and close down space. Without this, there is more pressure on the ball user to execute and by taking less ground we allow the opposition to create a tighter defensive structure and defensively there is less pressure on opposition teams when they use it which puts greater pressure on our defensive structure. WE need 1x small forward, 1x small defender and a defensive aligned mid

2. An actual forward line strategy. No one seems to lead, they all think they are peak Carey can out mark anyone, they run into each other and don't separate enough. There is almost no advantage having string marking mid sized players if you don't give them the conditions to be successful.

We'd be mad not to look at Josh Schache...

Internet Cancel GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The reason they would have retracted their offer would be because he can't get on the park. And at his age, it's unlikely to get better. He'd be lucky to play 6 games a season with his injury history
Or that after King, Walter, Andrew, Read, and Casboult, he's totally surplus to needs.

13 games across VFL and AFL this year (plantar fascia)
20 games last year
17 games the year before (torn knee meniscus)

So 17 games average over the past three years.

I'd take 17 games of Day and 7 games of Membrey over 24 of any combo of CCJ, Teakle and Pink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. An actual forward line strategy. No one seems to lead, they all think they are peak Carey can out mark anyone, they run into each other and don't separate enough. There is almost no advantage having string marking mid sized players if you don't give them the conditions to be successful.
Right now its this:

He's had a few injuries, but his AFL availability only tells part of the story.

When you add the VFL games it doesn't look so bad.

In any case, I think getting him and Membrey for nothing to compete for one spot against CCJ and Teakle is a no-brainer.
with list spots in demand, surely have to be one or the other?

Geez I love skulking around opposition boards this time of year and seeing the absolute insane trade values that people think they should get for their fringe players.

Makes me think we should put WilPhil out and ask for pick 1
Pick 2 for Pendlebury certainly brings a new definition to the word 'delusional'

2 in the 90s didn't make up for anything after 2005.
You'd be surprised. We still had a self-perception of being a good football club (at actual football) for quite a while into the 00s and looked down our noses at supposed loser clubs.

I think it took to the Back to the Future Timeline A events of 2016 & 2017 to truly make us realise nobody fears us anymore.

I think we have two key areas of improvement that would allow the current list to make a decent jump.

1. Add speed across the ground to open up and close down space. Without this, there is more pressure on the ball user to execute and by taking less ground we allow the opposition to create a tighter defensive structure and defensively there is less pressure on opposition teams when they use it which puts greater pressure on our defensive structure. WE need 1x small forward, 1x small defender and a defensive aligned mid

point 2 will come much easier with point 1.

You'd be surprised. We still had a self-perception of being a good football club (at actual football) for quite a while into the 00s and looked down our noses at supposed loser clubs.

I think it took to the Back to the Future Timeline A events of 2016 & 2017 to truly make us realise nobody fears us anymore.

It also didn't help that Biff stole the almanac and took it back to his younger self. That set us back years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back