List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

He has played less than 20 games in the last 4 years never kicked more than 20 goals in a season. I must be missing something cause i just cant see any upside what so ever. Iam also a no for Darling as well.
He’s another one of those “saves his best career games for against us” David Calthorpe types that we like to recruite.

It's infuriating to talk of restoring a senior bracket of players now. Brady & Co should be lynched for their decision making 2019-21.

I maintain my stance we should've retained Higgins, Brown and given Tarrant a fair deal back then.

You then have senior presence amd leadership on-ball, forward and defence. You'll still get your draft picks and work your new players into something of a system. The odd win then builds confidence.

And the return we got for those decisions?

Jaidyn Stephenson and Charlie Lazarro. No disrespect to Charlie but neither moved the needle for us.

This is not revisionism. Said it at the time but the list managers felt shredding our experience and KPP depth from 2018+ was somehow going to roll into a magical blossoming a couple of years later.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s already playing in a team who are getting belted every other week and not contributing. He is exactly who we DONT need. Why continually stack our list full of spuds that wouldn’t crack a game anywhere else.

There are other options out there if Rawlings wasn’t a useless campaigner. We don’t just have to settle for washed up hacks on big contracts. Enough is enough already.
Yep Day and Membrey vastly superior options. If they fail then Gollant as a delisted free agent.

I think it's more the push and pull of his manager and Darling wanting an extra year and Eagles probably wanting to move his salary to sign Waterman, Baker and Graham.
That’s the only way we should be considering it. If he’s on 800k for 2025, and WCE truly wants to get rid of him and his salary, then we take him for 1 year, WCE pays 400k, and we pay the remaining 400k +/- they give us a late pick.

I assume there are a lot of players we have put the feelers out for and said we’re open to a more extended contract.

We have an issue during games where when things go wrong we don’t know what to do. Getting a guy with 300 games of experience and success to train with and to play with is a good idea.

Forward entries are an issue but so to is contesting the ball for those entries and getting creative with running patterns being proactive to make things happen as a forward. Our forward line don’t do enough as a group to assist with the transition over the ground or pressure the ball coming out.

Not all these old blokes we bring in will work for us. Maybe some don’t do much on the field but help more off field. We honestly don’t have a lot of options.

Thats what a good list operator should be doing. Scoping out the tier below. Hogan and Cadman be in that team for years. Brown would be a good get. Might not be the right height profile for us though

wade derksen ?

Brown is 188, same height as Membrey and look at the abuse membrey gets in here for apparently being the same type of player as bull ford and even durrs. Which obviously he isn't. I'd prefer to try Riccardi or the pick2 for cad.

I'll quantify my thinking. There are two main considerations - Larkey and our struggles transitioning from midfield to forward.

We're committed to Larks and he's a one trick pony. Very good at it but purely a lead and mark so the forward structure has to work around this. We have Zurhaar and Duursma as medium forwards and Curtis as someone between a medium and small. We defs need a pure small goal kicking and high pressure forward. Brown completes the puzzle imo. Someone who is physical, can provide a lead up target and not useless when the ball hits the ground. Teams rebound far too easily burning us big time. I don't see his height an issue based on how he plays and would complement our structure.

This logic is also why I wouldn't go for a Membrey or Darling. Darling will complement Larkey but the wrong age profile. We need to be more ambitious.

I'd take Sam Day. Anyone but this hack who made a career playing alongside Josh Kennedy
Yep day or even casboult as contested marking options might create more space for Souva , Camz and co

Darling can’t even get off the ground

Edit

Peter wright should be top of the experienced KPF’s we should be targeting- he might be soft as butter but if given space he’s very dangerous.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering we are talking to Luke Park, Jack Darling, Tomlinson etc - says to me we actually are a retirement pay check while we seek to bring in 1-3 senior pro role models that can contribute to helping us get off the bottom of the ladder.
If we recruit them then the plan is out the window and we are pannicking

I look at Mitchell’s recruiting strategy over the last few years. He’s targeted players to play to his game plan.

Compare that with ours…

“Experience, experience, experience”. Experience ain’t a silver bullet unfortunately.

How about defining a way we want to play and recruit players accordingly.

“North Melbourne is targeting veteran West Coast forward Jack Darling for the second time in as many off-seasons.

The Kangaroos were unsuccessful in pulling off a trade with the Eagles at the same time last year, but want to add experience and depth to their forward line.

Darling, 32, is about to enter the final 12 months of a five-year deal with the Eagles worth an estimated $800,000 but the forward believes he has more than one season left in his ageing frame.

The Eagles are believed to have rejected North Melbourne’s demand that they pay $200,000 of Darling’s 2025 salary.

The Roos are believed to be willing to offer a multi-year deal to Darling and possibly a late-round draft pick to the Eagles.

That would allow West Coast to create another spot on its list – and free up a spot in attack with Oscar Allen, Jake Waterman and Jack Williams now the preferred key forwards.

They also have to find room for Bailey Williams when Matt Flynn returns from injury to slot in to the No. 1 ruck position.

The Eagles, who are in the early stages of a major list rebuild, are also keen to play 2023 draftee Archer Reid, who finished the WAFL season in strong form. He kicked 17 goals in 15 games.

North Melbourne has picks 2, 22, 40, 58, 67 and 76 in this year’s draft.

Darling has kicked 532 goals from 298 games with the Eagles, ranking him second of all-time behind Josh Kennedy (714), but this year’s tally of 22 was his lowest in 14 seasons.

Darling could be an ideal addition to the North Melbourne attack alongside Nick Larkey as the Kangaroos look to add experience, guile and another weapon to their attack.

Larkey has kicked hauls of 46 and 71 over the past two seasons.Working in Darling’s favour is his proven recovery from and ability to play through injury.

The Roos had the youngest list in 2024 and are stacked with first-round selections.

The Roos were the third lowest scoring team in 2024 wtih 1619 points, ahead of only West Coast (1594) and Richmond (1505).

Darling was firm in his belief he wanted to remain a one-club player when he re-signed in 2019.

“I grew up supporting the Eagles, so to be here for my entire career is something I’ll look back on proudly,” Darling told the West Coast website.

“I always thought I was going to be a one-club player. I’m just really excited that the club has backed me in like they have my whole career.”“
Full back page blast in the local paper as Darling’s manager is negotiating a new deal. Mhmm, nothing suss…

Do you not read the other posts as this has been mentioned many times! He has played less than 20 AFL games, but he has still been playing VFL, someone said averaging 17 games across last 4 yrs.... just not playing AFL due to competition fwd at gc

So because it has been mentioned before are you sayimg i cant post it again. By the way So in the last 4 years which KPF is who is keeping him out.

He is 32 to start with

Plays like he is 35.

Here is a list of tall forwards i'd prefer we target who would probably cost roughly the same:
  • M Tabener
  • Chris Burgess
  • Brandon Ryan
  • Peter Wright
  • Josh Corbett
  • Sam Day
  • Matt Jefferson
  • Aaron Francis

WCE should be giving us a 2nd rounder to absorb his salary.

Rowan Atkinson GIF

It's infuriating to talk of restoring a senior bracket of players now. Brady & Co should be lynched for their decision making 2019-21.

I maintain my stance we should've retained Higgins, Brown and given Tarrant a fair deal back then.

You then have senior presence amd leadership on-ball, forward and defence. You'll still get your draft picks and work your new players into something of a system. The odd win then builds confidence.

And the return we got for those decisions?

Jaidyn Stephenson and Charlie Lazarro. No disrespect to Charlie but neither moved the needle for us.

This is not revisionism. Said it at the time but the list managers felt shredding our experience and KPP depth from 2018+ was somehow going to roll into a magical blossoming a couple of years later.
More reason why we shouldn't be trying to fill that void with also ran senior players from other Clubs.

It reflects how poor we've become that we're even talking about the likes of Darling and Day.

You want to flatten the momentum of a young talented group - put senior players like that around them. Players that are past impacting games on a consistent basis.

If we can't attract A grade talent in their prime then at least try and catch the A graders at the back end of their careers - Luke Parker is an obvious one.

He would command instant respect amongst the younger players but most importantly he'd also put it out on the park.

I know this is not a popular opinion but I didn't get the Liam Shiels thing. Great bloke but how many times did he feature in our best players? I'm betting not once. Assistant coach sure. Player - not for me.

Those old enough to remember the 80's will remember what a dumping ground the Saints were - usually Carlton's - which wrecked them for a decade.

I look at Mitchell’s recruiting strategy over the last few years. He’s targeted players to play to his game plan.

Compare that with ours…

“Experience, experience, experience”. Experience ain’t a silver bullet unfortunately.

How about defining a way we want to play and recruit players accordingly.
Does anyone seriously look at Hawthorn and think that the reason they are going so well this year is their experienced players? If so, they probably haven't watched them play. They completely ran us off our legs. We don't have players who can run fast enough for long enough. We need speed and endurance. Recruiting old blokes is only going to slow us down and give our opponents someone else to run off.

Ahh yes another Player Manager dropping the Roos as a potential suitor, just to get their player some extra Superannuation out of the current club they play at.

We’ve seen this movie 100 times before but some people still get sucked in though..

It’s like channel surfing the TV and stumbling across the Shawshank Redemption around the time Andy asks the Warden if he trusts his wife when the boys are re-tarring the roof.. you know the rest and can’t wait for the ending so you watch the whole movie anyway..

Darling won't be the only potential trade we bring in.... he is being looked at as a fwd stop gap. I'm sure we would all like more exciting fwd guns instead and I'm sure all alternatives are being looked at but either too expensive capital wise and/or won't come anyway. This call has to be coupled with draft and then I'm sure we will address leaders in other parts of the park too...

This may all be done with the draft in mind. A WA role model for Gerreyn?

Either that or the ever growing WA Mafia Crew have some serious pull at the Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back