List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We shouldn't expect Darling to be close to Waite. The question is whether he can be better than Pink (and whether we can get him for nothing).

I don't want to pursue Darling like he's our saviour but he could be one minor piece to the puzzle (noting that I fully expect him to be doing this to negotiate with WC).

I'm sorry but if you think Darling applies zero forward pressure then you've never watched him play.

Averaging 2.9 tackles as someone who plays most of his time inside 50.

Also, that goal to Cripps in Hobart near the end of the game was solely due to Darling launching himself in front of McDonald to spoil.

Pressure is probably his biggest strength across his career.

His return game from the WAFL this year is a good indication of what he's capable of, as an example. Had 11 tackles inside 50, from memory.
Sounds pretty impressive.

Why don't you keep him?

Might save us all a lot of grief.

Sounds pretty impressive.

Why don't you keep him?

Might save us all a lot of grief.
I'm happy to keep him but we already have a plethora of talls and would much rather see Jack Williams or Archer Reid getting games ahead of him.

He's still good enough to be best 22 for us but he's going to be played third fiddle behind Waterman and Allen and with Williams looking good we're just too tall up forward.

We shouldn't expect Darling to be close to Waite. The question is whether he can be better than Pink (and whether we can get him for nothing).

I don't want to pursue Darling like he's our saviour but he could be one minor piece to the puzzle (noting that I fully expect him to be doing this to negotiate with WC).

Exactly. Waite was recruited to get us winning finals. Darling would come in to give some strength in the forward line, a smart experienced key forward to lead and allow Larkey to lead freely, a marking presence down the ground and what I assume is the real aim, a mentor for one or two key forward options we plan to draft this year. I don’t love going for Darling but I was also not too enthused “settling” for Pup Shiels and I was proven wrong. There’s a place for these guys, look at Gunston. Brisbane wanted him for a tilt and in the end he helped the Hawks play finals.

I'm sorry but if you think Darling applies zero forward pressure then you've never watched him play.

Averaging 2.9 tackles as someone who plays most of his time inside 50.

Also, that goal to Cripps in Hobart near the end of the game was solely due to Darling launching himself in front of McDonald to spoil.

Pressure is probably his biggest strength across his career.

His return game from the WAFL this year is a good indication of what he's capable of, as an example. Had 11 tackles inside 50, from memory.
We don’t need him to be a pressure forward - main aim is to be a marking target to take pressure off our other forwards

We don’t need him to be a pressure forward - main aim is to be a marking target to take pressure off our other forwards
Thankfully he can do that too.

You'd get someone who knows how to lead, block, apply pressure, dummy lead and so forth. You wouldn't be targeting him to be the main man but if he ended up being that, even better.

He'd be in the side to give Larkey an experienced partner to stop him getting triple teamed.

I think we do need someone setting an example of applying pressure I50? It’s arguably our biggest weakness and we lose goals because of it.

Personally I’m sick to flipping death of watching the likes of ‘the Bull’ 5 year deal Zurharr play one decent game in eight and apply next to zero pressure half the time he’s on the field. His mate Larks never gives him a serve from it and it just sets the tone for our Dogshit standards.

I’d welcome a guy knowing he’s at the end desperately fighting for his spot and wanting to extract the most he possibly can from what’s left.

A move away from WCE could help rejuvenate someone for a two year stretch who’d be sitting second in our all time goals kicked list!!!

Behind Larkey , even at the ripe old age of 32 Darling is far superior than any other tall forward we have on our list ….
Darling > Finbar
Darling > Teackel
Darling > CCJ
Darling > Sellers
Darling > Pink
Any time we do a basic list analysis such as this, the only conclusion I can come to is how the f*** does Brady Rawlings still have a job

View attachment 2097628

If we don't fix this we're going to be just as shit next year.

And as the worst team in the competition in living memory, we're unfortunately not getting anyone that great.

Get used to us being connected to the Darlings of the world because it's about as much as we can hope for.
Our age demographics look like Syria’s or the DRCs. Awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The arguments in here perfectly summarise the flaw in the strategy of “midfield first, we can pick up gun KPFs later”.

Perhaps if we were Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast or Adelaide.
It doesn’t matter which way you do it, spine or midfield first, what matters is you nail your picks.
We’re year 6 into a rebuild, building midfield out, we’ve had the choice of the pool and we’ve still got question marks, that’s the issue.

Last edited:
Behind Larkey , even at the ripe old age of 32 Darling is far superior than any other tall forward we have on our list ….
Darling > Finbar
Darling > Teackel
Darling > CCJ
Darling > Sellers
Darling > Pink
Others have already mentioned it. Now I’ll put my twist on it. So a cooked Darling is better than 5 key position players currently on our list. What’s that say about our current key position stocks? Remind me who is in charge of List Management? The truth is staring you all in the face. :stern look

What are you talking about? Shiels and Greenwood didn't propel us to 3 wins this year.

And the 3 years of learning is garbage as well. We've been 3 years away for 5 f***ing years now.

I honestly believe we have the talent to win up to 10 games next year, we just need some quality leadership from senior players to drag us over the line, or properly put away teams when we are on top.

Darling isn't that player. Currently our best on field leader is Sheezel, which is insane.

that 10 games won't happen with a click of finger until players at the team gets at least another 50 games into them.

So who in the last few years should we have picked.
Hogan, Treacy, 2MP, McDonald, Neale, Chol, Andrew, Amiss, Gibcus, Aleer, JVR, Casboult, McStay, Lobb, Frampton, Francis,
Weiderman, Cadman, Gruzewski, Koschitzke, Caddy...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2097628

If we don't fix this we're going to be just as shit next year.

And as the worst team in the competition in living memory, we're unfortunately not getting anyone that great.

Get used to us being connected to the Darlings of the world because it's about as much as we can hope for.
Remind me who is in charge of List Management? The truth is staring you all in the face. :stern look

200.gif

Thankfully he can do that too.

You'd get someone who knows how to lead, block, apply pressure, dummy lead and so forth. You wouldn't be targeting him to be the main man but if he ended up being that, even better.

He'd be in the side to give Larkey an experienced partner to stop him getting triple teamed.
If we’re going after him, my guess it’s for the on field mentoring and developing the next gen, similar to Greenwood/Shiel.
We’ve got massive issues with workrate down there both when we have the ball and don’t. Even if his output is diminished, I’m sure he’s expertise is valuable.

Does he have any ambition to coach? As that’s the general way we’ve been going about it.

The other one I can see is going for would be Ryan. Our smalls are a bigger issue then talls.

Last edited:
Just a never ending cycle of shitness. The bloke has been cooked for 24 months, the eagles fans absolutely loathe that he kept getting picked. Give him 5 years Snoz!
Until we start winning games and our young players get more games under their belt we are not a destination club!! I could think of worse players!

If we’re going after him, my guess it’s for the on field mentoring and developing the next gen, similar to Greenwood/Shiel.
We’ve got massive issues with workrate down there both when we have the ball and don’t. Even if his output is diminished, I’m sure he’s expertise is valuable.

Does he have any ambition to coach? As that’s the general way we’ve been going about it.

The other one I can see is going for would be Ryan. Our smalls are a bigger issue then talks.
Not sure about coaching ambitions but the other talls always talk him up as a mentor and you know you'll always get workrate and effort out of him, which is something a lot players seem to pick and choose with. JD isn't one of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back