List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

In saying that most of the footy world had no idea how good he really was until this year. His potential was there to be seen though and it really clicked for him this year.

He was pretty decent last year, weren't Coll all over him before he signed an ext

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We might be 2 years away from where the Hawks were at the start of 2024.

They have balance in their list. More than that, they have decided on a bold, innovative strategy and recruited around that. They have been thrifty with recruiting role players and diversified their use of draft capital.

We have bludgeoned away at the draft picking inside mids for 8 and now possibly 9 years.

Still missing the other wing.
Still missing a single pressure forward.
Still missing a single reliable rebounding defender.
Still only running with a 2m flanker as our single KPF.
Still missing a hard-nosed midfielder with experience.

We should be making comparisons with the Hawks as much as with Sydney, GWS or Brisbane for the good that will do us. Apart from a couple of years where they were better than us but towards the bottom of the ladder, there is no comparison. We are worlds apart.
Does anyone on really believe that the Hawks a building a dynasty like us in the 90s or the lions the Tigers couple of years ago or are they just going to be like us under B Scott for a few years not being able to go all the way. I have my thoughts just interested in others. With or the talk about them you would think they are on the way to greatness. Time will tell no doubt.

He was pretty decent last year, weren't Coll all over him before he signed an ext

Like i already said he was decent last year but only took it to the next level this year after about round 7or 8 roughly. What where your thoughts on him last year.

Does anyone on really believe that the Hawks a building a dynasty like us in the 90s or the lions the Tigers couple of years ago or are they just going to be like us under B Scott for a few years not being able to go all the way. I have my thoughts just interested in others. With or the talk about them you would think they are on the way to greatness. Time will tell no doubt.

They are well coached and have good to very good skills (except Chol). As we know better than most, you'd be hard-pressed to say they're dynasty-bound but are getting something out of throws at the pegs. 13 or so players older than 25 though, they are doing well, fair play. We have to stay the course, get a bit luckier with injury to young blokes and keep going. After the Scott years, this is not terrible!

Don't think anyone is predicting dynasties. Hawthorn are interesting because of their playing style and the composition of their team, and how much they differ from ours.

Does Thursfield need to come under the microscope too? I mean he has done his role well in retention but the national recruiting…
Nah mate he’s only been at our cub for 18 months as National Recruitment Manager.

They elevated him to National Recruiting Manager and Retention Manager in March and he’s already re-signed/extended our core group.

I actually think he’ll be pretty good for us because we can’t get any worse 🤣

I don’t believe that they will have a dynasty. More just a very good, well rounded side that now has the track record of convincingly winning finals.

If we ever start winning, we will probably move past them.

But we can also look at their rise and learn from them. It is not at all bad that they went with more of a blend of trade/draft than we did to compliment their existing experience.

I tell you what, I would rather be supporting a winning side that uses mediocre pieces well and contains some fantastic young stars, than wait expectantly on the hope that a team of first round draft picks one day learns how to win.

How about you?

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).

We'd be almost 2 seasons behind the Hawks when next year rolls around. Really need 2 or 3 Luke Parker types to provide leadership and on-field voice. Can't rely on Corr, Lmac, Jy, Tucker and Fisher to be our leaders much longer....

Table below of the top 10 of (age) Games played in team’s final game.

1Breust (33) 299Shiels (33) 288
2Gunston (33) 259McDonald (29) 203
3Impey (29) 196Corr (30) 162
4Frost (31) 183Simpkin (26) 152
5Hardwick (27) 171Tucker (27) 149
6Amon (29) 169Fisher (26) 125
7Sicily (29)155Zurhaar (26) 121
8Worpel (25) 126Larkey (26) 117
9Scrimshaw (26) 106LDU (25) 108
10Morrison (25) 102Scott (24) 101
Avg Games
177​
152​
Avg Games without Shiels
137​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t try and use reverse passes Ms McDonald- Lmac is gone
I’m not just being realistic this club did a review 2 years ago into how are club works what came of it?
Tell you what now listen our club is mates club as long as things run the same nothing will change.
That’s why this club needs a Scumbag Tyrant to run the show make the hard decisions that refused only to be made to scapegoats.
To this happens McDonald will be still captain and playing and Rawlings still has a job.
Iv woken up it’s best the supporters do too.
This club doesn’t care about it’s supporters or members time to face the facts.

We'd be almost 2 seasons behind the Hawks when next year rolls around. Really need 2 or 3 Luke Parker types to provide leadership and on-field voice. Can't rely on Corr, Lmac, Jy, Tucker and Fisher to be our leaders much longer....

Table below of the top 10 of (age) Games played in team’s final game.

1Breust (33) 299Shiels (33) 288
2Gunston (33) 259McDonald (29) 203
3Impey (29) 196Corr (30) 162
4Frost (31) 183Simpkin (26) 152
5Hardwick (27) 171Tucker (27) 149
6Amon (29) 169Fisher (26) 125
7Sicily (29)155Zurhaar (26) 121
8Worpel (25) 126Larkey (26) 117
9Scrimshaw (26) 106LDU (25) 108
10Morrison (25) 102Scott (24) 101
Avg Games
177​
152​
Avg Games without Shiels
137​
Sadly, out of that group I’d only keep LDU and Larkey. Rest I’d rather the hawks

Good player maybe, but Holmes is pushing into elite category

Looking back Twomey had him going as a late pick or even rookie pick.

The question we need to ask oursleves is how do we find or develop (how far can you develop that run?) more of them. 190cm with that kind of pace can play almost anywhere.

Go Deez thought they were

Tigers thought they were

The only one I can think of is from Pork Barrel Alley

I’m not just being realistic this club did a review 2 years ago into how are club works what came of it?
Tell you what now listen our club is mates club as long as things run the same nothing will change.
That’s why this club needs a Scumbag Tyrant to run the show make the hard decisions that refused only to be made to scapegoats.
To this happens McDonald will be still captain and playing and Rawlings still has a job.
Iv woken up it’s best the supporters do too.
This club doesn’t care about it’s supporters or members time to face the facts.

Sadly starting to agree with the last sentence

Dunno if it’s lack of care or poor resources

Hawks just won a final with Chol & Dear as their KPFs…

The system we play next year is the single most important thing this off-season.
Exactly. They win enough loose contested ball, have excellent drive off half back, cut teams up in transition amd have the capacity to mop up loose balls in the forward half. We tried to implement the transition game earlier in the season, didn't have the skills to execute and got reamed on the rebound. We need to get fitter through the middle and develop a more functional and pressure applying forward line

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).

Experience has a lot to do with the way the Hawks open up space and slice through teams.

Hawks just won a final with Chol & Dear as their KPFs…

The system we play next year is the single most important thing this off-season.
Geelong won with pretty much only Cameron as a quality key position player.

The best defense and attack is run it up your end and keep it there until you goal.

I don’t believe that they will have a dynasty. More just a very good, well rounded side that now has the track record of convincingly winning finals.

If we ever start winning, we will probably move past them.

But we can also look at their rise and learn from them. It is not at all bad that they went with more of a blend of trade/draft than we did to compliment their existing experience.

I tell you what, I would rather be supporting a winning side that uses mediocre pieces well and contains some fantastic young stars, than wait expectantly on the hope that a team of first round draft picks one day learns how to win.

How about you?
We did that under B Scott and i am one of a very few on here that he did a good job and he cops so much criticism for it it not funny. I believe in what we have been doing the last 3-4 years building up our young talent for an extended run at the ultimate prize.
Sadly starting to agree with the last sentence

Dunno if it’s lack of care or poor resources
I know of a few old timers who have been members supporters of the Melb Carlton and Hawks club for decades and think exactly the same way so its not just a North thing like i have said many times on many different things. Could they do things better of course they could but like i just said its not just us its many teams.

We did that under B Scott and i am one of a very few on here that he did a good job and he cops so much criticism for it it not funny. I believe in what we have been doing the last 3-4 years building up our young talent for an extended run at the ultimate prize.

I know of a few old timers who have been members supporters of the Melb Carlton and Hawks club for decades and think exactly the same way so its not just a North thing like i have said many times on many different things. Could they do things better of course they could but like i just said its not just us its many teams.

The only thing keeping me holding on is opportunity to access Finals seats and hopefully a GF, plus disposable income

Otherwise I’d have chucked it in Covid

Thankyou for saving me the effort.

Absolutely clueless statement and a perspective that too many have.

It’s so obvious yet so many would cut most of our few seniors for a few picks and target more 18 year olds.

I also think Scotts did a great job in 2012-2016 but then it became a mess

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back