List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

As I've said, if we proceed with this it's an admission of total failure of the senior playing group at the football club imo.

The time for recruiting 32 and 33 year olds for next season on the basis of "experience" only should be long in the rear view mirror imo.

What are we paying the following the big bucks for then?

Corr (31)
McDonald (30)
Tucker (28)
Fisher (27)
Larkey (27)
Logue (27)
Simpkin (27)
Zurhaar (27)
Xerri (26)
LDU (26)

Almost half the starting 22 will have been in the system for close to a decade next season.

A big chunk of the above should be on the trade block if we go this route, as they clearly aren't providing leadership, professional example etc and more than half of them certainly aren't earning their pay cheques on the ground based on their performances....

We might sign LDU and Zurhaar on a combined $1.8-$2m a season within a few months of each and we are going out looking for 30+ year olds to set examples for our younger players?

What?!

As I've said, if we proceed with this it's an admission of total failure of the senior playing group at the football club imo.

The time for recruiting 32 and 33 year olds for next season on the basis of "experience" only should be long in the rear view mirror imo.

Corr (31)
McDonald (30)
Tucker (28)
Fisher (27)
Larkey (27)
Logue (27)
Simpkin (27)
Zurhaar (27)
Xerri (26)
LDU (26)

Half the starting 22 will have been in the system for close to a decade next season.

A big chunk of the above should be on the trade block if we go this route, as they clearly aren't providing leadership, professional example etc and more than half of them certainly aren't earning their pay cheques on the ground based on their performances....

Not many there have ever played in a successful team

You’re not comparing W80 to Darling are you? LOL come on mate.
That's the best comparison as Waitey came to us at 32, as Darling is.

We're talking about a premiership player who has kicked over 500+ goals and still finished 3rd in the Eagles top scorers and that's with 4 KPF's scorers in their top 5. We only had Larkey in ours.

1726011550126.png

It's an almighty "if" but if we can get his body right there is a decent amount of logic to getting Darling in as we are so undermanned in the front half it's not funny.

My biggest concern isn't his wife or apparent unlikability, my biggest issue is that he looked as though he couldn't bend down in at least two matches I watched this year and he looked to the eye that he had slowed down considerably, and it has looked like a linear decline over the past 3 years.

Perhaps he was playing injured this year when Oscar Allen went down but he looks as though he should be hanging them up, not extending for two years.

The upside is that it will cost us nothing in draft capital and we have so much cap space it won't even touch the sides so maybe it's worth the gamble when there are few other options.

Corr (31)
McDonald (30)
Tucker (28)
Fisher (27)
Larkey (27)
Logue (27)
Simpkin (27)
Zurhaar (27)
Xerri (26)
LDU (26)

Almost half the starting 22 will have been in the system for close to a decade next season.

We might sign LDU and Zurhaar on a combined $1.8-$2m a season with a few months of each and we are going out looking for 30+ year olds to set examples for our younger players?

What?!
Yeah but Modra, Capper, Fev or Simon Beasley would bring much needed experience to fwd half.

Not many there have ever played in a successful team

OK?

What is Clarko getting paid a fortune for then, not to instill these habits and leadership examples into the senior playing group?

It can't be a maturity thing, half of these players are in the back half of their careers now. A chunk of them might not even have another 100 games in them.

So do we pay our senior players accordingly because they are seemingly so inadequate and need constant baby sitting??

Or do we hand out $700k+ x 5+ year contracts like candy year after year for players you admit have never played in successful sides and are incapable of setting an example for our younger players?

He kicked two more goals than Oscar Allen in 10 more games. Hardly compelling

We're talking about a premiership player who has kicked over 500+ goals and still finished 3rd in the Eagles top scorers and that's with 4 KPF's scorers in their top 5. We only had Larkey in ours.

View attachment 2107335
They’re completely different players.

It's an almighty "if" but if we can get his body right there is a decent amount of logic to getting Darling in as we are so undermanned in the front half it's not funny.

My biggest concern isn't his wife or apparent unlikability, my biggest issue is that he looked as though he couldn't bend down in at least two matches I watched this year and he looked to the eye that he had slowed down considerably, and it has looked like a linear decline over the past 3 years.

Perhaps he was playing injured this year when Oscar Allen went down but he looks as though he should be hanging them up, not extending for two years.

The upside is that it will cost us nothing in draft capital and we have so much cap space it won't even touch the sides so maybe it's worth the gamble when there are few other options.

Problem is he's not going to uproot his family and move to the other side of the country to play VFL, or for just a single year.

What happens if he is off the pace from day one?

Wouldn’t a better comparison for Darling be Gunston back to Hawthorn last year. He looked shot at Brisbane, and even this year he is no where near the player he was even 4 years ago.

But listening to every young Hawks forward, they talk about Gunston’s (and Bruest) role in the forward line is more about direction and on field coaching. Maybe popping up for one or 2. Has very good forward craft which he can show the other forwards.

Hated Darling as an opposition player, so I’m neither here nor there about him coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK?

What is Clarko getting paid a fortune for then, not to instill these habits and leadership examples into the senior playing group?

It can't be a maturity thing, half of these players are in the back half of their careers now. A chunk of them might not even have another 100 games in them.

So do we pay our senior players accordingly because they are seemingly so inadequate and need constant baby sitting??

Or do we hand out $700k+ x 5+ year contracts like candy year after year for players you admit have never played in successful sides and are incapable of setting an example for our younger players?
Agree those guys aren't getting it done but that means we need a change in who we are paying the big bucks too. Need some new blood.

View attachment 2107335

Season prior to joining us:

IMG_7425.jpeg

Wouldn’t a better comparison for Darling be Gunston back to Hawthorn last year. He looked shot at Brisbane, and even this year he is no where near the player he was even 4 years ago.

But listening to every young Hawks forward, they talk about Gunston’s (and Bruest) role in the forward line is more about direction and on field coaching. Maybe popping up for one or 2. Has very good forward craft which he can show the other forwards.

Hated Darling as an opposition player, so I’m neither here nor there about him coming.
Gunston is an apt one mate.

1726013188073.png

Jesus. Jack Darling? I'm still holding out hope this is a joke. The blokes no good anymore. Would be new levels of embarrassment for the club, those that disagree haven't watched much of the Eagles over the last two seasons.

Difference is Gunston is a former Vice Captain and a known leader, pretty sure Darling has never been in the leadership group let alone captain of any sort. Bruest's footy IQ is impeccable.

I can see the value in his tackle numbers a kpf and apparently he has a good work ethic off field but ... yeah. We replace him and get another goal+ every two games on average and and extra two tackles per game on average.

Also...

They say history never repeats but W80 was 32 and cooked when he came to us.
Waite was by no means cooked, injury prone yes, but not cooked.

History says you need 3.6 fourth rounders to get a 50 game player. Doesn't sound like a great strategy for buying us a year while our promising draftee readies himself.

And yet, in his annus horribilis, JD still outperformed Teakle.

View attachment 2107067

But sure, lets got to the draft and get our next Hartung, Mountford or Crocker. What a compelling alternative. I can see why so many are getting fired about about it.
Those stats aren’t helping the Darling cause at all. Not what we need and he’s past it. Please no.

You are probably right. But I don't like it.

If we are taking one of these guys, we really need to cut and payout some of CCJ, Biggie, Pink, Teakle.
If Darling can play his first year with us it will go a long way to developing another tall forwards. The only 1 l would be keeping is Teakle who l believe shows more potential and is the best of CCJ, Biggie, and Pink. Then in Darlings 2nd year unless he is playing well should be playing mostly in the VFL.

Those stats aren’t helping the Darling cause at all. Not what we need and he’s past it. Please no.
Its an indictment that the standard of Darling's 2024 performances was still better than any of our KPFs', aside from Larkey, but here we are my friend.

Last edited:
If Darling can play his first year with us it will go a long way to developing another tall forwards. The only 1 l would be keeping is Teakle who l believe shows more potential and is the best of CCJ, Biggie, and Pink. Then in Darlings 2nd year unless he is playing well should be playing mostly in the VFL.
That's the conundrum.

Why would a born and bred Perth local move himself and his whole family over to the other side of the country to play AFL/VFL in a bottom team for only 2 years, when he can get paid $800k to stay home and play WAFL?

I just don't see it..

Its an indictment that the standard of Darling's 2023 performances was still better than any of our KPFs', aside from Larkey, but here we are my friend.
Well we won't know if he's what we need until he pulls on the jumper. A fresh challenge might invigorate him, or he might well be completely cooked.

It's looks like we're going to find out one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back